• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

UFA Target: Sam Reinhart or Steve Stamkos

If Tampa Bay can't figure out how to make this work for Stamkos, by offering their 3 millon X 8 years option(see article for details); Drury needs to step in like a big swinging d*ck and offer 5 million X 6 years.

The guy can play Center or Wing, he put up 40 goals last season and has a .79 points per game average in in the playoffs. 

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5600999/2024/06/28/nhl-free-agency-guentzel-stamkos-kane/

1 hour ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

If Tampa Bay can't figure out how to make this work for Stamkos, by offering their 3 millon X 8 years option(see article for details); Drury needs to step in like a big swinging d*ck and offer 5 million X 6 years.

The guy can play Center or Wing, he put up 40 goals last season and has a .79 points per game average in in the playoffs. 

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5600999/2024/06/28/nhl-free-agency-guentzel-stamkos-kane/

How does that work? I wouldn't do that if I was Stamkos...forced to play to 41 or 42 to collect my full contract...what if he wants to retire?

Yeah, Stamkos is one of those guys like a Crosby or an Ovechkin, a legendary player for that team that I can't just see leaving. I hope he doesn't, honestly, even if Tampa is heading in the opposite direction. They're still competitive enough.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

How does that work? I wouldn't do that if I was Stamkos...forced to play to 41 or 42 to collect my full contract...what if he wants to retire?

Read the article.

If it is accurate, Tampa Bay is is throwing 3 million X 8 years at him as they are cap fucked. He would realize considerably more money, sooner if he is not looking for a 3 year X 8 million deal which he could easily get on the open market which we of course could not afford without moving a big contract out.  

20 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah, Stamkos is one of those guys like a Crosby or an Ovechkin, a legendary player for that team that I can't just see leaving. I hope he doesn't, honestly, even if Tampa is heading in the opposite direction. They're still competitive enough.

He should never wear anyone else’s sweater 

32 minutes ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

Read the article.

If it is accurate, Tampa Bay is is throwing 3 million X 8 years at him as they are cap fucked. He would realize considerably more money, sooner if he is not looking for a 3 year X 8 million deal which he could easily get on the open market which we of course could not afford without moving a big contract out.  

I read the article, I just don't understand why Stamkos would do it. To get his 24 million he would have to pay 8 years rather than 3.

40 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

He should never wear anyone else’s sweater 

Doesn’t sound like that’s totally up to him based on that contract rumor. The fuck did they take McDonaghs 7 million back for without taking care of their franchise player and captain?

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Doesn’t sound like that’s totally up to him based on that contract rumor. The fuck did they take McDonaghs 7 million back for without taking care of their franchise player and captain?

Yeah I have no idea.

They needed to secure Stamkos first.

But it also may be a case of where he’s wanting too much for a 34 year old player.

IDK.

2 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Yeah I have no idea.

They needed to secure Stamkos first.

But it also may be a case of where he’s wanting too much for a 34 year old player.

IDK.

He just scored 40 goals. He wants what Guentzel got, 8M for 3 years. They want to pay him 24M but have him play for 8 more seasons to collect it. 

That's how I understand it, makes no sense to me why he's consider it other than "Tampa".

40 minutes ago, Pete said:

He just scored 40 goals. He wants what Guentzel got, 8M for 3 years. They want to pay him 24M but have him play for 8 more seasons to collect it. 

That's how I understand it, makes no sense to me why he's consider it other than "Tampa".

He was also -21 with half his points on the PP and he’s 34, won 2 Cups, and made a dump truck full of money already.

Sooo… if they don’t want to pay him huge money again… I get it.

He’s already made over $100 million 

And that’s just on the ice.

Probably another $20 million + off the ice.

Shit… they’d probably let him buy into that franchise for a few points when he retires. And if not… surely he gets a cushy front office job with them for big money. 

What does he want to do in life that he can’t already do?

Own a jet? 2 of them?
Own townhouses in NY, London, Paris, and Hong Kong?

Own a $50 million dollar yacht?

He’s a hockey player.

Its not MLB, the NBA, the NFL, or European soccer.

The economics aren’t that big.

And he’s played his entire career in Tampa.

Not Toronto. Not NY. Not Montréal. 
Tampa.

Theres not a payday like that (meaning multiple hundreds of millions) in his future, or anyone else’s in the NHL on the horizon.

He can’t just be happy with the generational wealth he’s already earned? 

24 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

He was also -21 with half his points on the PP and he’s 34, won 2 Cups, and made a dump truck full of money already.

Sooo… if they don’t want to pay him huge money again… I get it.

He’s already made over $100 million 

And that’s just on the ice.

Probably another $20 million + off the ice.

Shit… they’d probably let him buy into that franchise for a few points when he retires. And if not… surely he gets a cushy front office job with them for big money. 

What does he want to do in life that he can’t already do?

Own a jet? 2 of them?
Own townhouses in NY, London, Paris, and Hong Kong?

Own a $50 million dollar yacht?

He’s a hockey player.

Its not MLB, the NBA, the NFL, or European soccer.

The economics aren’t that big.

And he’s played his entire career in Tampa.

Not Toronto. Not NY. Not Montréal. 
Tampa.

Theres not a payday like that (meaning multiple hundreds of millions) in his future, or anyone else’s in the NHL on the horizon.

He can’t just be happy with the generational wealth he’s already earned? 

Im not defending the guy. But he scored 40 goals and that matters.

I know it's an unpopular opinion but power play points still count and I don't think anyone expects defense from him. 

Edited by Pete

51 minutes ago, Pete said:

Im not defending the guy. But he scored 40 goals and that matters.

I know it's an unpopular opinion but power play points still count and I don't think anyone expects defense from him. 

I know that.

But logic dictates that a player with his resume, at this stage of his career, legacy firmly secured, but either wanting to stay where he is OR still wanting to win, would be willing to set the money aside in order to have what’s important for him, be it trying to win another championship or stay in the place he’s always been and built a life with his family…. Or even if he wanted to go home to Toronto and try his hand there and take no money to do it.

I have zero issue with players chasing the bag and making as much as they can…. Except in instances such as these. 
He has no bad habits and I’m sure he’s been smart with the ton of money he’s made.

This MF’er has more money than he can count. He’s probably got a net worth of $35-40 million or better… at worst he’s got $15-20 million… and he’s going to earn plenty of money for not only the rest of his playing career, but for as long as he decides to work… and he doesn’t actually have to work after he retires. 

Just decide what you value most and do it.

You already got your bag.

Edited by RangersIn7

41 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

I know that.

But logic dictates that a player with his resume, at this stage of his career, legacy firmly secured, but either wanting to stay where he is OR still wanting to win, would be willing to set the money aside in order to have what’s important for him, be it trying to win another championship or stay in the place he’s always been and built a life with his family…. Or even if he wanted to go home to Toronto and try his hand there and take no money to do it.

I have zero issue with players chasing the bag and making as much as they can…. Except in instances such as these. 
He has no bad habits and I’m sure he’s been smart with the ton of money he’s made.

This MF’er has more money than he can count. He’s probably got a net worth of $35-40 million or better… at worst he’s got $15-20 million… and he’s going to earn plenty of money for not only the rest of his playing career, but for as long as he decides to work… and he doesn’t actually have to work after he retires. 

Just decide what you value most and do it.

You already got your bag.

The player and the team believe 24M is the number. They want him to work for 8 years to get it, he doesn't. 

21 minutes ago, Pete said:

The player and the team believe 24M is the number. They want him to work for 8 years to get it, he doesn't. 

Which is ridiculous. And I get why he said no, cause even if he wanted to, he’s decidedly unlikely to play until he’s 42.

On their end though, $8 million per, on a new contract, for a 34 year old player, is too much. 
Especially for 1 that you’ve already paid in excess of $105 million. 

I just can’t wrap my head around it. 

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

Which is ridiculous. And I get why he said no, cause even if he wanted to, he’s decidedly unlikely to play until he’s 42.

On their end though, $8 million per, on a new contract, for a 34 year old player, is too much. 

They should just give him 5x5 and call it a day.

7 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

Yeah the whole thing is weird to me. It doesn't seem like anybody has an issue with the total value. I don't really understand how Stamkos is asking for that knowing the cap situation. 

It seems like a lot of players I just saying "I want my number and you figure out how to make it work" which is fine in certain situations, but if you know the team is cap-strapped and you want to stay then you're going to get fucked.