• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

No Indication Rangers Will Buyout Trouba

1. The buyout period opens Wednesday and lasts through June 30 but after touching base with several league-wide informants, there is no indication that the Blueshirts are contemplating a buyout of Jacob Trouba.

Now, GM Chris Drury keeps everything close, but sources are divided on whether the team will seek to move the captain after he submits his 15 team no-trade list on July 1.

It also might be fair to second-guess the decision to play Trouba over Zac Jones as No. 8’s issues compounded during the playoffs, but that would be on head coach Peter Laviolette, not the defenseman who obviously did not have the authority to write his own name on the lineup card.

I don’t think the Rangers have the stomach turning over the captaincy again after only two years. Plus, there’s no need for it. Leadership is not an issue. Trouba has been an important part of establishing a pretty good culture here. His teammates universally respect him.

Adam Fox and Schneider will go into camp as the top two on the right side. No one loves having a third-pair defenseman with a cap charge of $8 million, which of course is attached to Trouba. But the Rangers do not have a viable replacement in the pipeline. That would mean acquiring a replacement either via trade or free agency if the club attempts to trade Trouba.

https://nypost.com/2024/06/24/sports/rangers-dont-appear-set-to-move-on-from-jacob-trouba/

• Like 1

I agree. I think we’ve reached overreaction territory caused by recency bias on how bad he is. He’s been well overpaid over the years, but consistently OK on the ice with some extras you can’t put a price tag on. He’s not been consistently bad like he was since the injury. That was something else entirely. If there were a free no cost option to remove him then OK, great, you take the cap, but I don’t see someone you have to forcibly push out of town.

If Schneider is moving up to the 2nd pair to open the year, you also should have an experienced option behind him. You get rid of Trouba and you’ll just be taking the $4m from a buyout and rolling it into another veteran you hope doesn’t go belly up. Not worth.

• Like 1

Man, @BrooksBurner really hawking the boards for this one. Column requirements coming full force on this lazy piece.

I don't think anyone wants to go the buyout route when there are 16 teams that we could trade him to - and some of which that might want him. And some that may even take him at full freight or close to it. I've said it many times - he's not a bad player, he's a bad system fit.

Also, that bit about the stomach to turn over the captaincy....cmon. We just offed a team leader via waivers to a team he refused a trade to. Stomach of liquid nitrogen and hellfire here.

Obviously they were never going to buy him out, but I'm not really buying what he's trying to sell in the article. As I said in another thread he's defending the player way too hard.

You simply can't have a guy making 8 million on your third pair because he's a good penalty killer or has leadership ability. 

At the end of November there were numerous people here talking about what Trouba had been accomplishing for the team. It was a general consensus. He faded some since that discussion took place, but he was still fine. The real banger was he got hurt. That's it. He gets another season to prove that out. He didn't just magically stop fitting the system or lose all ability to play hockey mid-year.

Edited by BrooksBurner

2 hours ago, BreakawayMachine said:

Can we Wade Redden him to the Wolfpack?

Nope.  All but $1.2m of the cap hit would remain.

No way they buy him out this year.  The last year of his contract must go, so maybe a year from now if they can't find any takers.

It's gunna be a tough season if Rempe and Trouba are regulars...not so much because of them but because the refs target them and anything that can be construed as a penalty will be called. They both made their names and unfortunately the refs won't be objective going forward. Could bode tough for gaining momentum in game.

4 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

It's gunna be a tough season if Rempe and Trouba are regulars...not so much because of them but because the refs target them and anything that can be construed as a penalty will be called. They both made their names and unfortunately the refs won't be objective going forward. Could bode tough for gaining momentum in game.

Rempe has a chance to refine his game a bit and not get called for everything that might be a penalty.  #1 on that list is keeping his elbows in when he hits people.  He's actually quite dangerous when he's in head-hunting mode and the NHL will retire him early if he can't figure that bit out.

2 hours ago, Br4d said:

Rempe has a chance to refine his game a bit and not get called for everything that might be a penalty.  #1 on that list is keeping his elbows in when he hits people.  He's actually quite dangerous when he's in head-hunting mode and the NHL will retire him early if he can't figure that bit out.

It’s extremely hard for guys with that size frame to learn to manage that frame.

And it takes longer in terms of development for guys to grow into that body.

It’s like owning a Great Dane. They stay puppies and tend to be clumsy for 2-2 1/2 years.

It just takes longer. 

• Like 1

I don't care if Rempe takes 400 penalty minutes this season.  That kid's gotta learn, get reps and be a solid bottom 6 player for us this season.  He can be a game changer, and guys like him are quite valuable.

• Keeps it 100 1

Athletic ranks Defensive Groups- 

10. New York Rangers

Current quality: 68th percentile

Looking for: Third-pair defenseman

We came very, very close to bumping New York ahead of Pittsburgh, largely because Adam Fox is far and away the best defenseman on either team. Ultimately, though, the Rangers’ relative lack of depth kept them in this spot. That’s due mainly to Ryan Lindgren’s regression in 2023-24 and the fact that Jacob Trouba is, overall, just OK.

The variable here is K’Andre Miller, whose production hasn’t yet met his potential. If he increases his offensive impact — not just in the form of points, either — the Rangers will likely deserve to move farther into the top 10. Miller is good, but the Rangers need more from him.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5587656/2024/06/25/nhl-defense-free-agency-trade/

Nothing really news worthy- "Trouba is, overall, just OK" is about the perfect summation of his skill.. Factor in his aav and I believe that sentence changes to "Trouba is, overall, just ass"