• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Jacob Trouba Fiasco: Buyout? Trade? Nope, He's Probably Returning Afterall

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Exactly. I don't think players are acting "entitled" when they expect the organization to honor the trade protection they negotiated. 

Because the speed at which this happened was alarming, one morning we hear they ask them for his list and the next morning we hear that there's a deal in place with Detroit before he even submitted his list.

Plus he's their captain and when you give a guy a C and then ask for his list 2 years later, yeah that can be jarring. 

That's wild to me that anyone would think a conversation was required, probably before all this happened. 

Or maybe they had one, and he felt safe, and that's why he feels blindsided now. 

Plus for anyone who has kids, having a 6-month-old is hard enough without all this 🤣.

It is very odd that who ever gets the C with this franchise soon finds himself traded. 

• Eyeballs 1
  • Applause 1

8 minutes ago, Bugg said:

It's a business either way. Trouba, after shooting his way out of Winnipeg, knows that better than anyone. There's no style points and no polite way to do these things. And it's pretty well known that the Rangers treat their players very well in terms of facilites, travel, family.

This all might not have happened had the team shown up in the ECF. 

I don't understand why people keep repeating it's a business. Everybody understands that. 

There are three discussions happening here.

1. Moving Trouba isn't the issue, But the leak made things messy and the partial snippets coming out of the media who don't have the whole story are making it even messier, and fans are reacting a little out of line in my mind 
  2. The way Goodrow was handled, while within the framework of the deal, was outside the spirit of the deal and while I understand why it was done, I also understand why he's pissed 
  3. Which leads me to understand why the players could be having a what the fuck moment. 

Trouba isn't an asshole for wanting the time that's allowed within his contract to submit his list. 

Goodrow isn't an asshole for being upset that Drury kind of circumvented his trade protection.

The players aren't entitled for questioning why clauses negotiated in good faith are being infringed on. 

Fans just need to chill out and relax. There doesn't always need to be a villain. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

His leadership provided the most penalties in the entire post season for any player.....why is he on the chopping block? Geez, I don't know....

Shaky blind weak clearing passes up the wall that every opposing team had seen on tape and simply had a defenseman waiting at the  point. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

This Trouba stuff seems incredibly messy. Like, bad.

And again the locker room is brought up too. I think it’s going to be easier to just move on then have to mend fences. Vince says that too. Seems Drury also would rather rip the band-aid off too.

The below from Vince is all that matters, and until it changes the results won’t improve.

This roster, as currently constructed, does not look ready to get over that hump. They’ve made it to the Eastern Conference Final two of the last three years, but that’s been largely on the back of goaltending and special teams. Their five-on-five play isn’t on par with the best in the league, as evidenced by a 48.49% xGF that ranks 23rd among 32 teams across the last three seasons, according to Natural Stat Trick.

I don’t have anything against Smith, but I find it again to be a situation where Drury has a foot in either direction. Maybe he’s trying to just do enough to appease the crowd while he looks towards the next window. He had to shit or get off the pot and it looks to me like he did neither today. Maybe there’s more coming. A few teams were oddly silent.

8 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

The below from Vince is all that matters, and until it changes the results won’t improve.

I don’t have anything against Smith, but I find it again to be a situation where Drury has a foot in either direction. Maybe he’s trying to just do enough to appease the crowd while he looks towards the next window. He had to shit or get off the pot and it looks to me like he did neither today. Maybe there’s more coming. A few teams were oddly silent.

Smith would help boost Line 3 defensively/

"There's a perception among teammates that their situations could have been handled with more openness and dignity, according to one source, with those feelings extending to other team employees who have been let go in recent years. At the top of that list is longtime trainer Jim Ramsay, who was suddenly fired last year. He was not acknowledged upon his return to Madison Square Garden with the Montreal Canadians on Feb. 15, which apparently didn't sit well with a number of players, either."

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2024/07/01/rangers-acquire-reilly-smith-but-must-do-more-to-reach-stanley-cup-goal/74269238007/#:~:text=There's a perception,of players%2C either.

##

Well, you guys wanted disruption in the locker room. I'm sure it will lead to positive performance is all around and the ability to draw free agents...mmmkkkkkk. 

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I tend to agree but I am also not surprised.

I remember having a chat here a few weeks ago about Guentzel. And how the issue wouldn’t be this year, had they been able to move Trouba. If we moved Trouba, we theoretically could have signed Guentzel. And the premise was you know what? If they don’t win it this year, there’s movement anyway. Whether it’s Kreider/Mika/Panarin going, or whether you opt to not sign Igor, or whatever. So the discussion was: Why not put your best foot forward this year, make a run and if you fall on your face, blow the whole core up anyway.

I kind of saw that point. But I also understand that’s very…..video game-ish. And unlikely. And wild.

But I also didn’t think they would be as handicapped today as they were. In reality, I knew that idea of Guentzel was pie-in-the-sky. But I didn’t think guys like even Arvidsson, or others listed today were also so far out of range. Basically, I didn’t think “settling” for Reilly Smith as our best bet for a step forward next year would be our play.

Thats simply just not enough. Honestly, if you’re not going to throw it all at next year, then maybe it is time to deal a core member, recoup some assets, open some space and to concentrate on the next window (which is right there too). 

Doing next to nothing for this current roster isn’t going to work. They didn’t need to go into today spending money like the Predators did. We’re not as far off the mark as they are. But we do need help. And next year.

I mean, shit. As if all of that wasn’t bad enough, then Slafkovsky secured a bag and helps our case against Lafreniere. I mean, today just was not a good day for the Rangers. No one is saying they should have signed bad contracts. But they did nothing at all. Nothing creative, nothing of relevance. Lots and lots of time until camp. But, this current roster seems a bit naked up front.

Just now, RichieNextel305 said:

I tend to agree but I am also not surprised.

I remember having a chat here a few weeks ago about Guentzel. And how the issue wouldn’t be this year, had they been able to move Trouba. If we moved Trouba, we theoretically could have signed Guentzel. And the premise was you know what? If they don’t win it this year, there’s movement anyway. Whether it’s Kreider/Mika/Panarin going, or whether you opt to not sign Igor, or whatever. So the discussion was: Why not put your best foot forward this year, make a run and if you fall on your face, blow the whole core up anyway.

I kind of saw that point. But I also understand that’s very…..video game-ish. And unlikely. And wild.

But I also didn’t think they would be as handicapped today as they were. In reality, I knew that idea of Guentzel was pie-in-the-sky. But I didn’t think guys like even Arvidsson, or others listed today were also so far out of range. Basically, I didn’t think “settling” for Reilly Smith as our best bet for a step forward next year would be our play.

Thats simply just not enough. Honestly, if you’re not going to throw it all at next year, then maybe it is time to deal a core member, recoup some assets, open some space and to concentrate on the next window (which is right there too). 

Doing next to nothing for this current roster isn’t going to work. They didn’t need to go into today spending money like the Predators did. We’re not as far off the mark as they are. But we do need help. And next year.

I mean, shit. As if all of that wasn’t bad enough, then Slafkovsky secured a bag and helps our case against Lafreniere. I mean, today just was not a good day for the Rangers. No one is saying they should have signed bad contracts. But they did nothing at all. Nothing creative, nothing of relevance. Lots and lots of time until camp. But, this current roster seems a bit naked up front.

Drury is probably saving the big money for next summer -- Miller, Shesterkin, Lafreniere.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2024/07/01/rangers-acquire-reilly-smith-but-must-do-more-to-reach-stanley-cup-goal/74269238007/#:~:text=There's a perception,of players%2C either.

##

Well, you guys wanted disruption in the locker room. I'm sure it will lead to positive performance is all around and the ability to draw free agents...mmmkkkkkk. 

If they fail again you can just blame the GM this time.

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

##

No disrespect, but I couldn’t care less. That locker room and that core has run through two head coaches, suffered a cataclysmic meltdown against an arch rival, has lost 2 series in which they were up 2-0 in the last 3 years and were a Chris Kreider miracle away from letting Carolina force a Game 7 after being up 3-0. At some point, the boat needs to be rocked a little bit. Those guys can act entitled all they want and act like it’s in bad faith. As a group, they’ve won zero. And when that happens, changes are made. This isn’t a Mighty Ducks movie where hockey players just play together forever. It’s pro hockey. Moves are made.

I respect what they’ve done. I root for them. I believe in them. But they need to stop bitching. They haven’t earned the right to bitch.

The players still here? It hasn’t happened to them. It isn’t hitting their pockets. If this effects their ability to do their jobs, then the pessimists and pundits who call them soft will be proven right.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1

1 minute ago, RichieNextel305 said:

No disrespect, but I couldn’t care less. That locker room and that core has run through two head coaches, suffered a cataclysmic meltdown against an arch rival, has lost 2 series in which they were up 2-0 in the last 3 years and were a Chris Kreider miracle away from letting Carolina force a Game 7 after being up 3-0. At some point, the boat needs to be rocked a little bit. Those guys can act entitled all they want and act like it’s in bad faith. As a group, they’ve won zero. And when that happens, changes are made. This isn’t a Mighty Ducks movie where hockey players just play together forever. It’s pro hockey. Moves are made.

If anything this only reinforces those who think the core and this team are softer than baby shit. I understand being upset about the Ramsey and Goodrow situations, but it wouldn't affect my determination and goal of winning the Cup.

8 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I respect what they’ve done. I root for them. I believe in them. But they need to stop bitching. They haven’t earned the right to bitch.

We know fans don't care. Unfortunately it's irrelevant what fans think. Nor I do fans decide who's earned the right to do what. 

It only matters what the players think. If you think that this is the best way to get players to perform, I don't know what to say to that other than I completely disagree. If you think players are going to want to come here after this got played out so publicly, I also disagree.

The whole line of thinking just reeks of fans are upset so they want the players to be upset too. It's petty.