• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Jacob Trouba Fiasco: Buyout? Trade? Nope, He's Probably Returning Afterall

Trouba still has a no-move clause until July 1, after which he has a 16-team no-trade clause. The Rangers could sign Guentzel and then move Trouba after July 1 to be cap-compliant for next season since teams are allowed to be 10 percent over the cap until opening rosters are set in October.

There’s no indication as of yet that the Rangers are entertaining a Trouba move. If Guentzel is the guy Drury wants, though, we can simply quote the GM from his postseason availability: “Nothing’s off the table.”

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5590597/2024/06/25/rangers-guentzel-kane-shesterkin/

On 6/25/2024 at 11:21 AM, Flynn said:

Athletic ranks Defensive Groups- 

10. New York Rangers

Current quality: 68th percentile

Looking for: Third-pair defenseman

We came very, very close to bumping New York ahead of Pittsburgh, largely because Adam Fox is far and away the best defenseman on either team. Ultimately, though, the Rangers’ relative lack of depth kept them in this spot. That’s due mainly to Ryan Lindgren’s regression in 2023-24 and the fact that Jacob Trouba is, overall, just OK.

The variable here is K’Andre Miller, whose production hasn’t yet met his potential. If he increases his offensive impact — not just in the form of points, either — the Rangers will likely deserve to move farther into the top 10. Miller is good, but the Rangers need more from him.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5587656/2024/06/25/nhl-defense-free-agency-trade/

Nothing really news worthy- "Trouba is, overall, just OK" is about the perfect summation of his skill.. Factor in his aav and I believe that sentence changes to "Trouba is, overall, just ass" 

Trouba is definitely NOT OK lol

14. Jacob Trouba, New York Rangers

2023-24 stats: 3 goals, 22 points, 21:15 ATOI, minus-4
Contract: $8 million through 2026 (UFA)
Previous: Not ranked

With his no-movement clause set to convert to a 15-team no-trade clause on July 1 and the Rangers believed to be looking at moving a defenseman, Trouba could be the odd man out. The right-shot defender plays a strong, physical game and is known for laying out opponents with punishing bodychecks. He’s coming off a difficult playoffs but would represent an upgrade for most teams. In New York, where they also have Adam Fox and Braden Schneider on the right side, Trouba may be a luxury at his cap hit.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5591247/2024/06/26/nhl-trade-big-board-pre-draft/

8 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Isn’t this early? Isn’t it “due” to be submitted on 7/1?

If so, maybe there’s traction somewhere. Would be huge.

Yeah but if Drury has made up his mind and is having conversations with him about a trade, it would be smart of Trouba to play nice. Drury already showed that he has no issues waiving a hard nosed leader in Goodrow. I think there are several teams who would claim Trouba off waivers for free.

Drury will want to make a decision on any big cap moving out between now and the 1st. The only reason to move big cap out is to be big players in free agency. It’s probably a toss up on whether we hear anythingbetween now and then. It’s possible he will just have frameworks of deals in place that don’t get publicized and will only get executed if he can land who he wants in free agency.

It's not even about if he's good or bad or if he can bounce back, it's that you can't have a $8M guy on the third pair.

We've already seen both Miller and Schneider play better when paired, so there's really just no room for Trouba.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

It's not even about if he's good or bad or if he can bounce back, it's that you can't have a $8M guy on the third pair.

We've already seen both Miller and Schneider play better when paired, so there's really just no room for Trouba.

I remember being at the game in Boston in late March when we played a really solid 60 minutes and talking to a Ranger fan I met at the game. And we both said the same thing, that the defense seems to just move better and play better when he’s not weighing down one of those pairs. Miller was better without him. Miller still has learning to do, but Trouba was like an anchor.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Just now, Pete said:

It kind of matters though. If he bounces back, he's still probably better than what Schneider currently is. I'm not sure Schneider passed up Trouba because of his own play, or because Trouba regressed that bad after the injury. I tend to think it's moreso the latter, than Schneider doing anything spectacular.

With that said, Trouba's average playing level is worth in the $4-5 million, 4th defenseman range. Even if he bounced back and played 2nd pair, I don't want to pay 8 for that any more than I want to pay 12 million for $6 million worth of production in the playoffs. Ya feel me?