• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Jacob Trouba Fiasco: Buyout? Trade? Nope, He's Probably Returning Afterall

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Isn’t this early? Isn’t it “due” to be submitted on 7/1?

If so, maybe there’s traction somewhere. Would be huge.

IMO

1. The Rangers are requesting the list now so to see if a trade can be made at the draft.  

2. The Rangers want to do him a solid and maybe not trade him to a team that will not be on his No Trade List, b/c technically they can trade him pre 7/1 to any team.

3. Buyout period ends 6/30 so they have to make that decision last minute if they will buy him out, either though they say they dont have interest to.  Things can change right away.

Edited by Blue Heaven

12 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

IMO

1. The Rangers are requesting the list now so to see if a trade can be made at the draft.  

2. The Rangers want to do him a solid and maybe not trade him to a team that will not be on his No Trade List, b/c technically they can trade him pre 7/1 to any team.

3. Buyout period ends 6/30 so they have to make that decision last minute if they will buy him out, either though they say they dont have interest to.  Things can change right away.

I don’t think that’s true. He still has an active full NMC/NTC so he can reject all trades and being put on waivers. It just downgrades to a partial NTC July 1. That’s why Trouba should play nice and give his list early, so the Rangers can try to do him a solid and pick a place he wouldn’t mind going, because they could alternatively just waive him on July 1st and he could find himself in San Jose, Columbus, or Canada.

Just now, BrooksBurner said:

I don’t think that’s true. He still has an active full NMC/NTC so he can reject all trades and being put on waivers. It just downgrades to a partial NTC July 1. That’s why Trouba should play nice and give his list early, so the Rangers can try to do him a solid and pick a place he wouldn’t mind going, because they could alternatively just waive him on July 1st and he could find himself in San Jose, Columbus, or Canada.

Oh I didnt realize he had a NMC before it changes to a modified NTC 🍻

54 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

It kind of matters though. If he bounces back, he's still probably better than what Schneider currently is. I'm not sure Schneider passed up Trouba because of his own play, or because Trouba regressed that bad after the injury. I tend to think it's moreso the latter, than Schneider doing anything spectacular.

I'm not sure I totally agree there, but the thing is that Schneider's development curve says he's going to get better and Trouba's aging curves has already said he's only getting worse.

Then there's the notion that anyone paired with Trouba looks noticeably worse than when they aren't.

With that said, Trouba's average playing level is worth in the $4-5 million, 4th defenseman range. Even if he bounced back and played 2nd pair, I don't want to pay 8 for that any more than I want to pay 12 million for $6 million worth of production in the playoffs. Ya feel me?

The Athletic has Trouba valued at $2M, for whatever that's worth. As for the rest of it, you have the idea in your head that the regular season doesn't matter and I can assure you that it does because it takes 82 games to get to the next 20+.

That's why I'm not paying the goalie after a hot playoff because his season was mid.

Edited by Pete

Thank you Jacob Trouba for your valiant effort of captaincy however your abundance of penalties in the post season destroyed any usefulness. Best of luck in future endeavors.

Sincerely,

BSBH 

• Applause 1

12 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

This isn’t new at all. It’s been labeled that way for years. Same as Kreider’s.

Kreider’s is labeled that way on there, yeah, but not Trouba’s.

I feel like something similar happened with their tracking of Marc Staal’s protection. People thought he was untradeable and then boom, he’s traded to Detroit and apparently his NTC was secretly a partial and nobody knew it.

7 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

The reality is.....they gotta move him now. They can't have an albatross hanging around when the season starts regarding trading the captain. That would be detrimental, I would think.

Yep. And for it to be talked about amongst fans in one thing. But for it to now have hit the media, it may take on a life of its own. Everything will be analyzed, microanalyzed and dissected. If there’s a time to do this, it’s now. Not next year. Now.

8 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

I don't think anyone outside the Rangers, including Friedman, knows whether Trouba's clause prevents waivers. 

I believe only NMC’s prevent waivers.

And any player on a 1-way contract has to pass waivers to be sent to the AHL, no?

Waivers is required for demoting any veteran players to the AHL. 

A no movement clause prevents any roster movement, aside from being injured and placed on LTIR, including being placed on waivers. 
Personal/administrative leave essentially exists, if a player has a death in the family, a personal conduct, substance abuse, etc.

I don’t recall if the NHL has a paternity list. 

Correct me if Im wrong. Im not reading through the CBA tonight

Late momentum seems to building around a potential trade of Jacob Trouba, whose 15-team no-trade list is due Monday but has been requested a bit earlier than that. As of early in the week, my best information was that the team was not going to aggressively market the captain — who has two years remaining at an $8 million cap hit per — but rather would listen to offers. That appears to have changed over the last 48 hours.

https://nypost.com/2024/06/27/sports/nhl-draft-could-seal-kaapo-kakkos-rangers-fate/