• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Jacob Trouba Fiasco: Buyout? Trade? Nope, He's Probably Returning Afterall

And until Jacob Trouba’s no-move transforms to a 15-team no-trade clause, also on Monday, as momentum continues to build for the defenseman’s exit from New York after five seasons.

Indeed, a well-placed source has told The Post that GM Chris Drury is working on a deal to send the captain to the Red Wings, a trade that the Michigan native would presumably accept after having played as a freshman for the Wolverines in 2012-13.

We are told the Rangers may retain $2.5 million per year on the two remaining seasons of Trouba’s $8M annual cap charge. That represents 31.25 percent retention that would also be applied to the $12M in salary Trouba has coming over the next two seasons.

If that does become the amount of retention if this deal goes through, that would clear an additional $5.5M in space … but the Blueshirts would have to then find a reasonable replacement for the most physical and menacing player on the team who held down a spot on their first penalty-kill unit.

https://nypost.com/2024/06/29/sports/talk-of-rangers-trading-jacob-trouba-to-detroit-growing/

11 minutes ago, Phil said:

Wow....when do we ever get that kind of clarity into a deal beforehand?!? Especially since the Drury era? Someone is getting fired.

Secondly, looking at Detroit's roster, I have a few names I would be pretty happy coming back (even if it is eating crow with Andrew Copp).

Edited by jsm7302

58 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Wow....when do we ever get that kind of clarity into a deal beforehand?!? Especially since the Drury era? Someone is getting fired.

Secondly, looking at Detroit's roster, I have a few names I would be pretty happy coming back (even if it is eating crow with Andrew Copp).

If they are taking back that much salary I would prefer Compher over Copp

58 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

Im starting to like this Little League Legend Chris Drury. He definitely has balls and not afraid to show them. 

Agreed. He seems like a cold prick. Goodrow, Trouba, his reported indifference to Panarin. He's on the right track. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

Seriously.

2 mil retained is fine in my book. Better than a buyout and we get rid of trouba. Gonna miss his leadership and physicality but man it has to be done.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Agreed. He seems like a cold prick. Goodrow, Trouba, his reported indifference to Panarin. He's on the right track. 

I get it but its worth being careful about this. None of those guys are really "his guys" (argument for Goodrow, perhaps).

When it's his guys and he's still this way, I'll buy the cold prick narrative.

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

30 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

I get it but its worth being careful about this. None of those guys are really "his guys" (argument for Goodrow, perhaps).

When it's his guys and he's still this way, I'll buy the cold prick narrative.

He’s making the right moves. For once we have a GM that doesn’t sit on people’s feelings but runs the team efficiently (for the most part). 

don’t get me wrong jury is still out on Drury but so far I don’t have too much to complain about. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Br4d said:

As long as he's not good with a comfy clubhouse he's doing his job.

I think fans are the only one who think this is personal. This has nothing to do with a comfortable clubhouse, and fans actually have no insight at all into who's comfortable and who isn't. 

He's simply removing players who aren't worth their contracts during the regular season.

It's completely logical and it's not personal. 

So, if Trouba goes who do they sign for a third pair right shot defenseman who would work with Zac Jones?  

If Drury is convinced Patrick Kane’s hip surgery was a success, does he take a flyer on John Klingberg, who had the same surgery as Kane in December, and perhaps get him for $2M-$2.5M?  Could have huge upside if he is fully healed.