• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Jacob Trouba Fiasco: Buyout? Trade? Nope, He's Probably Returning Afterall

On 6/25/2024 at 12:40 PM, Ozzy said:

If Drury can somehow unload that contract in it's entirety on some team someplace, we'll have to create a new National Holiday....

Call it Troub-teenth!

....he doesn't even have to get anything back....just pull pin and throw!

So Kane is now staying in Detroit so that means they will not take Trouba?  So what is Drury planning on Stamkos since Tampa is done with him?

Those teammates can kick rocks too. This is a business. If the organization feels they are better off without a guy making $8 Million dollars on their 3rd pair and have a way they can potentially sell him on going back to his hometown, then so be it. It’s his right to accept or reject a trade…for now.

That said, and with all due respect to Troubas personal life, but the Rangers owe nothing to his wife’s career. I’m not trying to sound mean here. He has his rights with his NMC that turns into a limited NTC. But if the Rangers can find a way to get out of a bad contract, which he is at the moment, then they’ll do it. I’m not trying to sound like a dickhead here, but this isn’t the profession to be in if you’re worried about 100% long-term stability in one location. Trades happen. It’s a business.

And the locker room, the teammates, need to learn that. Jobs not getting done? Changes may be made. Don’t like it? Don’t know what to tell you.

Again, I’m not trying to sound like a douchebag. It’s an emotional, pain-staking process I’m sure. And it’s easy to say that they make enough money to stop over in another city a lot easier than others. But….it’s the truth. These are the sacrifices that come with the job; that there is the potential risk of situations like this occurring.

Sorry Trouba, but thems the breaks.

• Like 2
  • Bullseye 3
  • Keeps it 100 2

1 minute ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Those teammates can kick rocks too. This is a business. If the organization feels they are better off without a guy making $8 Million dollars on their 3rd pair and have a way they can potentially sell him on going back to his hometown, then so be it. It’s his right to accept or reject a trade…for now.

That said, and with all due respect to Troubas personal life, but the Rangers owe nothing to his wife’s career. I’m not trying to sound mean here. He has his rights with his NMC that turns into a limited NTC. But if the Rangers can find a way to get out of a bad contract, which he is at the moment, then they’ll do it. I’m not trying to sound like a dickhead here, but this isn’t the profession to be in if you’re worried about 100% long-term stability in one location. Trades happen. It’s a business.

And the locker room, the teammates, need to learn that. Jobs not getting done? Changes may be made. Don’t like it? Don’t know what to tell you.

Again, I’m not trying to sound like a douchebag. It’s an emotional, pain-staking process I’m sure. And it’s easy to say that they make enough money to stop over in another city a lot easier than others. But….it’s the truth. These are the sacrifices that come with the job; that there is the potential risk of situations like this occurring.

I get your take but the last thing we need is a locker room cancer against the org that employs them. That toxicity will be deep rooted and hard to remove. Buy out Trouba and sign him to a friendlier deal if he wants to stay. How about that? Or send him to the Island or NJ. Therr just seems so many ways to cut this pie and none of them end with Trouba in a blueshirt next year. Management needs to sit down with these guys post Trouba trade and explain this is a business to make them the best hockey team not the best of friends for life. Changes are being made so they all can win the toughest trophy to win in sports. Glaring issues kept them from that this year and they are working to address those issues and unfortunately the head leads the way and not the heart. Time to win a championship fellas!

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

5 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Then they would have to eat at least 25% of his salary.

To be perfectly honest, it’s somewhat discouraging to me and a little worrisome that he thinks his play hasn’t slipped to the point that the team would look to get out of his contract.

Yeah, it hasn’t been all bad. I’m not stupid. But come on. He came in here as a viable top-pair defenseman, and within 5 years he went from that to a 3rd pair that has had troubles with his speed and his positioning over the last 3 seasons. Did he not think there’s been any type of slip?

Call me crazy, but I like this directive from upstairs. Perform, or we’ll move on.

• Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

To be perfectly honest, it’s somewhat discouraging to me and a little worrisome that he thinks his play hasn’t slipped to the point that the team would look to get out of his contract.

Yeah, it hasn’t been all bad. I’m not stupid. But come on. He came in here as a viable top-pair defenseman, and within 5 years he went from that to a 3rd pair that has had troubles with his speed and his positioning over the last 3 seasons. Did he not think there’s been any type of slip?

Call me crazy, but I like this directive from upstairs. Perform, or we’ll move on.

I think we give professional athletes too much credit when it comes to some things. These guys are millionaires playing a game and just live in a different world than we do. I'll say this, I never really thought Trouba was that good here anyway. Yeah, his contract was absurd and impossible to live up to, but overall I always thought he was above average at best. I think before his injury, and most of this past season, he wasn't too bad. Overall, he really hasn't been the player we thought we were getting from what we saw in Winnipeg.

Edited by Sharpshooter

4 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I think we give professional athletes too much credit when it comes to some things. These guys are millionaires playing a game and just live in a different world than we do. I'll say this, I never really thought Trouba was that good here anyway. Yeah, his contract was absurd and impossible to live up to, but overall I always thought he was above average at best. I think before his injury, and most of this past season, he wasn't too bad. Overall, he really hasn't been the player we thought we were getting from what we saw in Winnipeg.

But his intangibles have been very good.  According to some articles, he's a good glue guy to have in the locker room.  Maybe it pays to keep him for one more season.

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

He hasn’t. He hasn’t been bad up until recently, but he hasn’t been what we thought we were getting. At no point has he been worthy of his contract.

But again, this isn’t the profession to be in if you don’t want abrupt moves and changes to your life and your families life. I don’t mean to sound mean but it’s the truth. It’s professional sports. The good is the game and the fortune. The bad is what he’s now dealing with. And in-between, the sport takes place. Been this way forever and will always be this way. Not surprising.

1 minute ago, Rangers1994 said:

But his intangibles have been very good.  According to some articles, he's a good glue guy to have in the locker room.  Maybe it pays to keep him for one more season.

Yeah, I'm sure he's been a leader and a good dude. At this point, I can't see them keeping him another year after all of this has gone down. Intangibles are nice, but the present and future of the organization are more important. They're thinking a year and two years down the line when more integral parts of the team need to get paid.

37 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I don't see him offering to take a pay cut in half to stay, since he wants to so badly. His own fault for sucking.

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah, I'm sure he's been a leader and a good dude. At this point, I can't see them keeping him another year after all of this has gone down. Intangibles are nice, but the present and future of the organization are more important. They're thinking a year and two years down the line when more integral parts of the team need to get paid.

That's why i said ONE MORE FULL SEASON.  Maybe even less.

1 minute ago, Rangers1994 said:

The closer you get to the start of the season, the less cap space all other teams have and the list slims as to where you can even move him.

Why waste another postseason of our win window when Trouba was on the ice for HALF of our goals against?

Edited by Cash or Czech

6 minutes ago, Rangers1994 said:

That's why I said I think that ship has sailed anything after how all of this has gone down. You can’t wait that long anyway with the offseason now here, cap needing to be moved and players needing to be signed. It has to be done sometime in the offseason, even if it gets messy.

7 minutes ago, Rangers1994 said:

This team, as is, in a season it needs to really take a shot at winning this thing, cannot and should not be paying someone $8M a season to skate on its 3rd pair. It’s not fair to Laviolette to have to monitor minutes for its team Captain, who’s play has slipped to a point where the minutes do need to be monitored.