• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Jacob Trouba Fiasco: Buyout? Trade? Nope, He's Probably Returning Afterall

23 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

As much as we need a wing to play on the top line, we also very much need to improve defensively. Big time. Trouba is not good defensively, and again, eating a lot of cap. The blue line is something else that needs to be bolstered, or else not much will change.

Agreed.  Maybe signing Kevin Stenlund could help the Rangers on Line 4, 4 on 4, and the PK.

I’m sorry but that quote by Vince really makes me upset about the teammates being upset. I’m sorry. This locker room hasn’t won a god damn thing. And for the most part, the big money players haven’t delivered in the big spots. You already dealt with an off-season where changes were made around the edges and then another where the coach wore it on the chin without the locker room being held accountable. And now, after a 3rd year of falling short, they want be down in the dumps because management may want to rock the boat a little bit with some big money contracts? Boo-hoo. Cry me a river. This is a business. We are trying to win a Stanley Cup. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Applause 1

4 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I’m sorry but that quote by Vince really makes me upset about the teammates being upset. I’m sorry. This locker room hasn’t won a god damn thing. And for the most part, the big money players haven’t delivered in the big spots. You already dealt with an off-season where changes were made around the edges and then another where the coach wore it on the chin without the locker room being held accountable. And now, after a 3rd year of falling short, they want be down in the dumps because management may want to rock the boat a little bit with some big money contracts? Boo-hoo. Cry me a river. This is a business. We are trying to win a Stanley Cup. 

As if we didn't think they were soft as it is already. lol Yeah, these are character guys. I'm not thrilled with dumping Goodrow, but it's something that needed to be done on the business side. Saying goodbye to teammates is part of whatever sport you play. I wouldn't think this staff would tolerate sulking, but imagine if it's an issue.

Back when Zuc left, they weren't happy, but they got over it. Granted the team then wasn't really contending anymore, but still. Kreider is still here, Trocheck is still here and I think Lafreniere can develop into a leadership kind of role too. They also will bring in new people. Deal.

24 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I don't think it's the fact that guys are getting shipped out, I think it's the way it's being done not the players are not happy about. 

I don't know what's up with Trouba but Goodrow negotiated trade protection in good faith and submitted his list and Drury found a way to send them somewhere he didn't want to go, so that type of stuff is going to rub people the wrong way.

Not saying I agree with it or not but I can see how players would think the organization isn't acting on good faith. 

Now I know everybody's mad today and there's this whole fuck the players attitude, but the fact of the matter is you can't negotiate a contract in good faith and then do some dirty shit and not have people pissed off at you.

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

Definitely true about Goodrow. It is too bad it ended the way it did because he's a quality dude and negotiated everything properly as you said. I wasn't thrilled with how that went down either, so I can only imagine how the players are feeling. It's a business, but that part of it was a bad look.

Understood.  But it had to be done.  Too much money for a Line 4 Center.

Just now, Rangers1994 said:

Understood.  But it had to be done.  Too much money for a Line 4 Center.

Yes, which was Drury’s fault for massively overpaying. So, the player became a victim because of that. The GM kind of had to go underhanded to correct his own mistake. One of those things where you're not thrilled with giving up the player. But, they have more important needs and players to sign after next season.

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

Yes, which was Drury’s fault for massively overpaying. So, the player became a victim because of that. The GM kind of had to go underhanded to correct his own mistake. One of those things where you're not thrilled with giving up the player. But, they have more important needs and players to sign after next season.

True.  Time to move forward.

21 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Definitely true about Goodrow. It is too bad it ended the way it did because he's a quality dude and negotiated everything properly as you said. I wasn't thrilled with how that went down either, so I can only imagine how the players are feeling. It's a business, but that part of it was a bad look.

I get it and don't mind Drury doing it but I can definitely see why Goodrow would be upset and that's justified. 

The Trouba stuff I'm sure will come out but it's sloppy. I would not be shocked if someone is going to get fired for leaking it. 

Edited by Pete

35 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't think it's the fact that guys are getting shipped out, I think it's the way it's being done not the players are not happy about. 

I don't know what's up with Trouba but Goodrow negotiated trade protection in good faith and submitted his list and Drury found a way to send them somewhere he didn't want to go, so that type of stuff is going to rub people the wrong way.

Not saying I agree with it or not but I can see how players would think the organization isn't acting on good faith. 

Now I know everybody's mad today and there's this whole fuck the players attitude, but the fact of the matter is you can't negotiate a contract in good faith and then do some dirty shit and not have people pissed off at you.

I get that, but it’s business. It was given in good faith, the contract aged to the point where it didn’t make a ton of sense anymore and we did what we had to do to get out of it.

I agree with what you’re saying. But again, the sentiment I’m getting here about Trouba and his wife’s livelihood is just an odd narrative. At least Drury is giving you the luxury of a talking to and letting you know that this is where the organization is at. He could have just waited until tomorrow for the list, had talks with teams beforehand, not shown any piece of his hand and if a team wasn’t there, really pull the rug out from under his feet. At least Drury is trying to accommodate him and trying to do right by him by sending him to his hometown instead of sending him off to Siberia.

I just don’t like the entitlement. It’s professional sports. If a team sees that a player isn’t playing up to his contract, they try and trade him. Been like this and will continue to be like this forever. No disrespect, but if your wife’s career is this important and you can’t stand being without her, then maybe reconsider the career? I’m not trying to be a dick but to whine and complain about finally finding a home and being settled and making good money and starting a family and then having to uproot, I get it. It sucks. But it’s a risk you do run by taking this on as a career. The advantages include the money and fame and prestige and the disadvantage is you can find yourself in a position like this, even if you don’t necessarily want to be in it and try to protect yourself against it. It’s just the lay of the land, unfortunately.

Again, I’m not faulting him for taking his time here or for weighing his options. But outsider looking in, it’s already gotten to the point of almost no return. There’s bad blood; maybe on both sides. And a split is probably the most logical next step for both. If Detroit is a destination he wouldn’t mind because it’s his hometown, wonderful. I’d grit my teeth and make the best of it. If not, you run the risk of Drury figuring it out elsewhere to a potentially less optimum location. And you can’t blame him.

Its business. His job is to get the New York Rangers to a Stanley Cup. Not to step on Jacob Trouba and his wife’s toes because they feel comfortable in New York. And hopefully the players understand that. You want to have camaraderie but that can only get you so far. Sometimes, tough decisions need to be made and this is one of them.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

If Trouba does not approve a trade to Detroit that is believed in place, he will ultimately be sent somewhere else, perhaps by waivers. The decision has been made.

https://nypost.com/2024/07/01/sports/rangers-chris-drury-cant-overreact-in-nhl-free-agency/

Brooks confirms that Troubas Ranger career is over.

• Applause 1

5 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

I get your take but the last thing we need is a locker room cancer against the org that employs them. That toxicity will be deep rooted and hard to remove. Buy out Trouba and sign him to a friendlier deal if he wants to stay. How about that? Or send him to the Island or NJ. Therr just seems so many ways to cut this pie and none of them end with Trouba in a blueshirt next year. Management needs to sit down with these guys post Trouba trade and explain this is a business to make them the best hockey team not the best of friends for life. Changes are being made so they all can win the toughest trophy to win in sports. Glaring issues kept them from that this year and they are working to address those issues and unfortunately the head leads the way and not the heart. Time to win a championship fellas!

They shouldn’t have to sit down and explain to grown adults, professional athletes, that player movement is part of the job. If they don’t understand that the job of the GM is to make moves that he believes benefit the franchise, then I don’t know what else to tell them. This is a business. Right now, Jacob Trouba at $8 Million dollars per season is bad business for a team looking to win a Cup when you factor in the cap crunch and when you factor in the fact he is likely a 3rd pair defenseman here.

No conversations need to be had. A team that had high expectations ultimately fell short of its goal and now changes are happening. Want to stay together as a happy and complete unit? Go win a Cup. And even then, no guarantees. But for a locker room full of guys who have spent quite a bit together, that have yet to even make it to a Final, to feel a certain way about a transaction occurring is absurd. And the thought of them needing a talking to is even more absurd.

Steven Stamkos is the best player in the history of the Tampa Bay Lightning. He’s a sure fire HOF’er. A Stanley Cup Champion. A record holder for the organization. Today, they’re letting him walk out the door because teams that operate in the best interest of their team sometimes have to make difficult decisions. And right now, the decision is being made to invest in Jake Guentzel over him. If Tampa can kick Steven Stamkos to the curb, then there is no reason the Rangers can’t do the same to Trouba. I’m sorry.

Again, I understand the whole logistics thing with his wife, and their family, and her career too. But Drury is here to take care of the Rangers. Not the Trouba household. That’s just the truth. It’s not being mean or being insensitive. I’m sure the situation blows. But being a millionaire I’m sure has its perks too, Jake. Hate to be that guy where I’m picking on an athlete for making money and saying “oh, how hard can your life be?!” I’m not meaning to. I’m sure these situations suck. But that’s why they’re compensated the way they are. I said it before and I’ll keep saying it, but if he has any type of issue with that and feels he owes it to his wife to stay in New York and reject any opportunity presented to him by Drury for an amicable breakup, then maybe it’s time to hang it up. I’m sure it won’t be that, obviously. But if what Brooks said is true (and I’m sure it is), then either accept the trade to your hometown and try and make it work or don’t and then really be at the mercy of a GM that can and will dump your ass on waivers for any team to pick up. This situation is beyond saving at this point.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 2
  • Applause 1

7 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

The player got paid exceptionally well.  Really hard to call him a “victim.”

More to the point of this thread-  how is Trouba still on this team?!?!  This is classic addition by subtraction here.  Getting the money off the cap is far more valuable than any player or asset the Rangers can get back.  If Detroit wants to take this guy id seriously give him away at this point.  A second rounder and a depth defensemen would do it for me.  

7 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I get that, but it’s business. It was given in good faith, the contract aged to the point where it didn’t make a ton of sense anymore and we did what we had to do to get out of it.

I agree with what you’re saying. But again, the sentiment I’m getting here about Trouba and his wife’s livelihood is just an odd narrative. At least Drury is giving you the luxury of a talking to and letting you know that this is where the organization is at. He could have just waited until tomorrow for the list, had talks with teams beforehand, not shown any piece of his hand and if a team wasn’t there, really pull the rug out from under his feet. At least Drury is trying to accommodate him and trying to do right by him by sending him to his hometown instead of sending him off to Siberia.

I just don’t like the entitlement. It’s professional sports. If a team sees that a player isn’t playing up to his contract, they try and trade him. Been like this and will continue to be like this forever. No disrespect, but if your wife’s career is this important and you can’t stand being without her, then maybe reconsider the career? I’m not trying to be a dick but to whine and complain about finally finding a home and being settled and making good money and starting a family and then having to uproot, I get it. It sucks. But it’s a risk you do run by taking this on as a career. The advantages include the money and fame and prestige and the disadvantage is you can find yourself in a position like this, even if you don’t necessarily want to be in it and try to protect yourself against it. It’s just the lay of the land, unfortunately.

Again, I’m not faulting him for taking his time here or for weighing his options. But outsider looking in, it’s already gotten to the point of almost no return. There’s bad blood; maybe on both sides. And a split is probably the most logical next step for both. If Detroit is a destination he wouldn’t mind because it’s his hometown, wonderful. I’d grit my teeth and make the best of it. If not, you run the risk of Drury figuring it out elsewhere to a potentially less optimum location. And you can’t blame him.

Its business. His job is to get the New York Rangers to a Stanley Cup. Not to step on Jacob Trouba and his wife’s toes because they feel comfortable in New York. And hopefully the players understand that. You want to have camaraderie but that can only get you so far. Sometimes, tough decisions need to be made and this is one of them.

It's a business and Trouba is acting within his rights. He's not doing anything wrong here. His list is not due until today. If he needs some time to think about it, that's within his rights. 

It's not entitlement, and he's not whining a complaining about anything. He was surprised that the team wanted to move him and he's taking time to weigh his options. It's a big decision. 

With all due respect, this is just sour grapes and fans that they can't get what they want when they want it. 

Edited by Pete

4 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

They shouldn’t have to sit down and explain to grown adults, professional athletes, that player movement is part of the job. If they don’t understand that the job of the GM is to make moves that he believes benefit the franchise, then I don’t know what else to tell them. This is a business. Right now, Jacob Trouba at $8 Million dollars per season is bad business for a team looking to win a Cup when you factor in the cap crunch and when you factor in the fact he is likely a 3rd pair defenseman here.

No conversations need to be had. A team that had high expectations ultimately fell short of its goal and now changes are happening. Want to stay together as a happy and complete unit? Go win a Cup. And even then, no guarantees. But for a locker room full of guys who have spent quite a bit together, that have yet to even make it to a Final, to feel a certain way about a transaction occurring is absurd. And the thought of them needing a talking to is even more absurd.

Steven Stamkos is the best player in the history of the Tampa Bay Lightning. He’s a sure fire HOF’er. A Stanley Cup Champion. A record holder for the organization. Today, they’re letting him walk out the door because teams that operate in the best interest of their team sometimes have to make difficult decisions. And right now, the decision is being made to invest in Jake Guentzel over him. If Tampa can kick Steven Stamkos to the curb, then there is no reason the Rangers can’t do the same to Trouba. I’m sorry.

Again, I understand the whole logistics thing with his wife, and their family, and her career too. But Drury is here to take care of the Rangers. Not the Trouba household. That’s just the truth. It’s not being mean or being insensitive. I’m sure the situation blows. But being a millionaire I’m sure has its perks too, Jake. Hate to be that guy where I’m picking on an athlete for making money and saying “oh, how hard can your life be?!” I’m not meaning to. I’m sure these situations suck. But that’s why they’re compensated the way they are. I said it before and I’ll keep saying it, but if he has any type of issue with that and feels he owes it to his wife to stay in New York and reject any opportunity presented to him by Drury for an amicable breakup, then maybe it’s time to hang it up. I’m sure it won’t be that, obviously. But if what Brooks said is true (and I’m sure it is), then either accept the trade to your hometown and try and make it work or don’t and then really be at the mercy of a GM that can and will dump your ass on waivers for any team to pick up. This situation is beyond saving at this point.

I'm not saying I disagree with the sentiments regarding letting him go but a conversation absolutely needs to and most likely will be had. Regardless of industry (and we are all grown adults in the working world), when layoffs happen, when strategies change, meetings then happen with those that remain to discuss future success. This isn't a coddling tactic but instead an explanation for understanding moving forward. Communication is key for success. These guys aren't robots and they didn't lose two ECF's for lack of effort but moreso glaring holes that their opponents didn't have.

Regardless, we all have the same hope and that is that help is on the way. How we get there is unknown but we all want the cup parade in NY next year.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

I'm not saying I disagree with the sentiments regarding letting him go but a conversation absolutely needs to and most likely will be had. Regardless of industry (and we are all grown adults in the working world), when layoffs happen, when strategies change, meetings then happen with those that remain to discuss future success. This isn't a coddling tactic but instead an explanation for understanding moving forward. Communication is key for success. These guys aren't robots and they didn't lose two ECF's for lack of effort but moreso glaring holes that their opponents didn't have.

Regardless, we all have the same hope and that is that help is on the way. How we get there is unknown but we all want the cup parade in NY next year.

Exactly. I don't think players are acting "entitled" when they expect the organization to honor the trade protection they negotiated. 

Because the speed at which this happened was alarming, one morning we hear they ask them for his list and the next morning we hear that there's a deal in place with Detroit before he even submitted his list.

Plus he's their captain and when you give a guy a C and then ask for his list 2 years later, yeah that can be jarring. 

That's wild to me that anyone would think a conversation was required, probably before all this happened. 

Or maybe they had one, and he felt safe, and that's why he feels blindsided now. 

Plus for anyone who has kids, having a 6-month-old is hard enough without all this 🤣.

Edited by Pete

11 hours ago, Pete said:

It's a business either way. Trouba, after shooting his way out of Winnipeg, knows that better than anyone. There's no style points and no polite way to do these things. And it's pretty well known that the Rangers treat their players very well in terms of facilites, travel, family.

This all might not have happened had the team shown up in the ECF.