• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Jacob Trouba Fiasco: Buyout? Trade? Nope, He's Probably Returning Afterall

So let's not gloss over this part of Larry's article.

The anticipated trade to Detroit did not materialize after No. 8 handed in his 15-team no-trade list to GM Chris Drury as due on Monday. Sources now report that the deal as depicted in this space on Saturday with the Blueshirts retaining $2.5 million of Trouba’s annual $8M cap charge the next two years was not on the table. We are told that the suggestion Trouba rejected the deal is not true.

So Brooks, got it wrong...and about as wrong about it as his burner is about most things. 

https://nypost.com/2024/07/01/sports/wifes-hospital-residency-among-factors-keeping-jacob-trouba-with-rangers/

When Trouba signed this current seven-year, $56M contract in July of 2019 after having been acquired as a pending restricted free agent from Winnipeg, his five-year no-movement clause was designed to expire in conjunction with his wife Kelly Tyson-Trouba’s completion of her three-year residency at a New York hospital. But Dr. Tyson-Trouba’s residency was deferred for a year at the start so that the program which she is required to complete will end instead on July 1, 2025. The Troubas also welcomed their first child, a boy named Axel, in mid-January.

There is no guarantee that Jacob Trouba would accept a trade even to a club on his approved list if that means leaving his wife and nine-month-old (as of training camp) behind. It is not as if Dr. Tyson-Trouba can pick up, transfer her credits to another hospital, accompany her husband and still be licensed as a physician.

We are told that has become part of the league-wide conversation, with several teams that otherwise would have been in big-time on Trouba now likely to wait until next year when Dr. Tyson-Trouba’s residency ends with the defenseman having one final season on his contract.

Sources report that communication between Trouba, his camp and Drury and management have been professional without animosity that would infect or negatively impact the defenseman’s role as captain. If nothing further develops, it might become a one-sentence Q&A the first day of training camp.

On that note, he'll still be here.

Forget the team.. the whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth.

ill be honest I don’t want to come in here and say “I’m not watching if they don’t do what I want” but I’m finding it really hard to get excited about next season. 

I know the off season ain’t over so obviously my comments are based on if nothing really changes in a major way but.. Not really building towards anything any more. Clearly not good enough to win it all. Just so much bleh all around. 

2 minutes ago, siddious said:

Forget the team.. the whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth.

ill be honest I don’t want to come in here and say “I’m not watching if they don’t do what I want” but I’m finding it really hard to get excited about next season. 

I know the off season ain’t over so obviously my comments are based on if nothing really changes in a major way but.. Not really building towards anything any more. Clearly not good enough to win it all. Just so much bleh all around. 

Or maybe Drury is saving the big money for next summer.....

Yeah, this whole situation is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. This is ugly. Ugly for any team, let alone a team with Cup aspirations.

And listen, you feel for Trouba. That’s fine. But I get the fans being a bit upset by this too. There were fans who feel Trouba played poorly against Tampa in 2022, he obviously played badly this year in the playoffs. And now we’re forced to keep him because of family obligations? It just sucks.

The whole situation sucks all around. And it can be really hurting us here. Who knows? Maybe Kane was looking to hit UFA and thought the Rangers would have a bit more money for the 1 year if Trouba was going to be gone. We will never know. But honestly, can’t blame the fans for feeling the way they feel and can’t blame Trouba for feeling blindsided. I do think it’s a bit absurd that we’re being held hostage by a players wife’s job. I get it, it’s a brutal situation. But this really shouldn’t be the Rangers problem. The whole situation sucks and should have never been made this public.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Keeps it 100 1

2 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Yeah, this whole situation is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. This is ugly. Ugly for any team, let alone a team with Cup aspirations.

And listen, you feel for Trouba. That’s fine. But I get the fans being a bit upset by this too. There were fans who feel Trouba played poorly against Tampa in 2022, he obviously played badly this year in the playoffs. And now we’re forced to keep him because of family obligations? It just sucks.

The whole situation sucks all around. And it can be really hurting us here. Who knows? Maybe Kane was looking to hit UFA and thought the Rangers would have a bit more money for the 1 year if Trouba was going to be gone. We will never know. But honestly, can’t blame the fans for feeling the way they feel and can’t blame Trouba for feeling blindsided. I do think it’s a bit absurd that we’re being held hostage by a players wife’s job. I get it, it’s a brutal situation. But this really shouldn’t be the Rangers problem. The whole situation sucks and should have never been made this public.

Yeah, players wives have to change careers or places of employment any time their significant other gets traded or signs elsewhere. If she really has to stay there, it's a sticky situation. It would mean Trouba would have to leave his wife and baby in NY. Not uncommon since players travel all the time, but if the wife has a say there, and she she will, you know how that goes.

When Trouba signed this current seven-year, $56M contract in July of 2019 after having been acquired as a pending restricted free agent from Winnipeg, his five-year no-movement clause was designed to expire in conjunction with his wife Kelly Tyson-Trouba’s completion of her three-year residency at a New York hospital.

But Dr. Tyson-Trouba’s residency was deferred for a year at the start so that the program which she is required to complete will end instead on July 1, 2025. The Troubas also welcomed their first child, a boy named Axel, in mid-January.

There is no guarantee that Jacob Trouba would accept a trade even to a club on his approved list if that means leaving his wife and nine-month-old (as of training camp) behind. It is not as if Dr. Tyson-Trouba can pick up, transfer her credits to another hospital, accompany her husband and still be licensed as a physician.

Meh - whole situation sucks for the team. But I really don't understand the bolded part. I get he may not like it but what is there to accept if they deal him to a club not on his no trade list?  I mean piss off at that point, no? 

(Judging by the pic in the article at least he's winning off the ice. Although, he should get in line with Mika and Bread to shave their heads 3 hours before camp starts)

5 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah, players wives have to change careers or places of employment any time their significant other gets traded or signs elsewhere. If she really has to stay there, it's a sticky situation. It would mean Trouba would have to leave his wife and baby in NY. Not uncommon since players travel all the time, but if the wife has a say there, and she she will, you know how that goes.

I’m not trying to be anti-emotion here and sound like these aren’t real life people. But most people don’t have to start all over in another city for a year….making $8 Million.

What sucks for Trouba is that this is going to stick with him, and that a portion of the fanbase is going to take this story and run with their own narrative. And it’s New York. They could be warm, they could be cold. There’s a chance for both here. He needs to be prepared for that based off this. They could embrace him. Or they can turn cold on him because they feel like this family decision is hurting the Rangers. Which is all they care about.

Again, ugly spot. About as ugly as seen around here in recent memory.

Edited by RichieNextel305

1 minute ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I’m not trying to be anti-emotion here and sound like these aren’t real life people. But most people don’t have to start all over in another city for a year….making $8 Million.

What sucks for Trouba is that this is going to stick with him, and that a portion of the fanbase is going to take this story and run with their own narrative. And it’s New York. They could be warm, they could be cold. There’s a chance for both here. He needs to be prepared for that based off this. They could embrace him. Or they can turn cold on him because they feel like this family decision is hurting the Rangers. Which is all they care about.

Again, ugly spot. About as ugly as seen around here in recent memory.

Yeah, it's too bad. I really don't see this affecting the on ice performance of the team. They are still professionals. It's a lingering thing that's still going to suck hearing about all season, whether he is embraced by fans or not. The players could even rally around him, and he is popular with the players.

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah, it's too bad. I really don't see this affecting the on ice performance of the team. They are still professionals. It's a lingering thing that's still going to suck hearing about all season, whether he is embraced by fans or not. The players could even rally around him, and he is popular with the players.

Are you both on drugs? The only fan who wants trouba to stay is that chick from the commercials with the Trouba Jean jacket and no friends. 

• LOL 2
  • LMFAO 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

Just how far does this go? He submitted his list. Hypothetically, say Anaheim wasn’t on the list and he could be dealt there. And say the Rangers and Ducks agree to a trade. What then?

Is Drury the bad guy for doing that? This may not be fair to Trouba, but this is really not fair to Drury. Is Trouba threatening to not report? Like, how deep is this going?

4 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Just how far does this go? He submitted his list. Hypothetically, say Anaheim wasn’t on the list and he could be dealt there. And say the Rangers and Ducks agree to a trade. What then?

Is Drury the bad guy for doing that? This may not be fair to Trouba, but this is really not fair to Drury. Is Trouba threatening to not report? Like, how deep is this going?

Yeah, we can talk about this until we're blue in the face. We have already. We have light details, but basically don't really know shit about what's really happening.

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah, we can talk about this until we're blue in the face. We have already. We have light details, but basically don't really know shit about what's really happening.

That’s my point.

Like it or not, but fans are gonna feel the way they want to feel.

And honestly, you can’t blame them. The picture hasn’t been painted too rosy here for Trouba.

And it’s unfair to Drury, because he’s either going to look like a dictator by banishing him or like a pussy for keeping him. Either way, he comes out of this looking bad.

2 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

That’s my point.

Like it or not, but fans are gonna feel the way they want to feel.

And honestly, you can’t blame them. The picture hasn’t been painted too rosy here for Trouba.

And it’s unfair to Drury, because he’s either going to look like a dictator by banishing him or like a pussy for keeping him. Either way, he comes out of this looking bad.

At this point, dictator Drury would look the best. If, after all this, Trouba is still on the team next year, that's even worse to me. He's one of the worst players on the team, making one of the highest salaries on the team. Give me dictator Drury.

Edited by Sharpshooter

53 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

"There is no guarantee that Jacob Trouba would accept a trade even to a club on his approved list if that means leaving his wife and nine-month-old (as of training camp) behind. It is not as if Dr. Tyson-Trouba can pick up, transfer her credits to another hospital, accompany her husband and still be licensed as a physician."

Nonsense.  It's not 'easy' per se, but a medical resident can transfer to another training facility if they desire.  Residents don't have 'credits', and she will not lose her license to practice medicine.  Would it be 'inconvenient'? Certainly...but it's doable.  If she's a resident in good standing in her program, a favorable letter from her program Director to another institution with an opening would seal the deal....and medical residents are at a premium right now for many training institutions as there's not enough to go around.

This all comes down to convenience for the Trouba's is all.  JMO

• Like 2
  • Applause 1