• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Jacob Trouba Fiasco: Buyout? Trade? Nope, He's Probably Returning Afterall

10 hours ago, Costa said:

He's a cuck. Discussion over

these takes are insane

whatever your thoughts on Trouba, he's a person who signed a long term contract somewhere because he wanted to be there. and his contract dictates he gets some say in the where he gets moved if they want to move him. 

If GMs get to be cutthroat when they need to be, then players get to be cutthroat as well. He negotiated the contract, and was given it. It's insane to expect him to just give up his own leverage because fans want him to be traded. 

also its not 'Cuck' behavior to prioritize your family's wellbeing (god I feel weird just typing that out)

12 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

these takes are insane

whatever your thoughts on Trouba, he's a person who signed a long term contract somewhere because he wanted to be there. and his contract dictates he gets some say in the where he gets moved if they want to move him. 

If GMs get to be cutthroat when they need to be, then players get to be cutthroat as well. He negotiated the contract, and was given it. It's insane to expect him to just give up his own leverage because fans want him to be traded. 

also its not 'Cuck' behavior to prioritize your family's wellbeing (god I feel weird just typing that out)

Yeah I agree. I mean, that’s just another level. It’s absurd.

But what’s also absurd is the fact that this NMC that turned into a NTC was orchestrated based on his residency. Again, it is not the Rangers fault that got delayed a year. I just think it’s unfair that he’s essentially holding the Rangers by the balls now. If he still had his full iron clad NMC, yeah, he can tell the Rangers tough luck boys, I’m staying.

But to basically threaten to not report, IF THAT PART OF THE ARTICLE IS TRUE (Brooksie has been off thus far), is simply unprofessional. Again, I get that it is a lousy situation. But this is no longer an NMC; it’s a modified NTC. As much as we want to make it out that the fans are being mean or Drury is acting in bad faith, Trouba would also be acting in bad faith when it comes to his own career by basically holding an NHL franchise hostage. It just sucks. The whole thing sucks. It sucks because this is going to stick with Trouba, fans are gonna be fans and because this really does fuck the Rangers pretty hard here when it comes to opening up some much needed room for a run this year. It’s hard to win when you’re paying $8 Million a year to a guy that is playing on your 3rd pair. This all goes back to how much the guy has regressed over time.

Edited by RichieNextel305

6 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

these takes are insane

No one is arguing this.

But hes upset because the team wants to move him. The team is well within its rights, according to the contract he signed, to move him to one of the 15 teams he has agreed to go to. Its not even being cut throat, its just professional sports. This home-life bull shit needs to stop. Every player ever traded has had home life considerations. 

Trouba isnt living up to his contract number and is not only a logical choice to move for hockey reasons but financial ones as well.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

7 minutes ago, siddious said:

No one is arguing this.

But hes upset because the team wants to move him. The team is well within its rights, according to the contract he signed, to move him to one of the 15 teams he has agreed to go to. Its not even being cut throat, its just professional sports. This home-life bull shit needs to stop. Every player ever traded has had home life considerations. 

Trouba isnt living up to his contract number and is not only a logical choice to move for hockey reasons but financial ones as well.

I mean, this.

It’s the truth. If the NMC was still in effect, different story.

2 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I mean, this.

It’s the truth. If the NMC was still in effect, different story.

The running story of Detroit not being on his list was 100% fictional in the sense that no one knows whether thats true or not and I think added fuel to the fire of why people were getting pissed. But never the less..

What pisses me off too is that you never get an answer from Drury. 

whats even worse is that this info is out there now.. wouldnt be surprised to see trouba boo'd constantly going forward. just not going to be a good situation.

Edited by siddious

1 minute ago, siddious said:

No one is arguing this.

I mean I fully agree with all of that but people shitting on him for trying to utilize the trade protection built into the contract he was offered and signed not the take. And to be calling him a 'cuck' and bullying his wife on the internet is literal insanity. 

Trust me, I want him moved, I want that contract off the books. But like I said in my previous post, if GMs can use the 'its a business' card and be cutthroat to make moves, then players get to also. If Owners want to try and negotiate removing NTCs from the CBA they can bring that up next round but in the meantime, players have their rights too. The way Drury god Goodrow off the books probably already left a sour taste in the locker room, so its tough to imagine Trouba was willing to play-ball so to speak.

If we can't move him, I'm just gonna hope he goes full rage-mode Trou Trou train in the offseason and to start the year and just keeps crushing dudes to say 'Fuck you' to Drury

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

I mean I fully agree with all of that but people shitting on him for trying to utilize the trade protection built into the contract he was offered and signed not the take. And to be calling him a 'cuck' and bullying his wife on the internet is literal insanity. 

Trust me, I want him moved, I want that contract off the books. But like I said in my previous post, if GMs can use the 'its a business' card and be cutthroat to make moves, then players get to also. If Owners want to try and negotiate removing NTCs from the CBA they can bring that up next round but in the meantime, players have their rights too. The way Drury god Goodrow off the books probably already left a sour taste in the locker room, so its tough to imagine Trouba was willing to play-ball so to speak.

If we can't move him, I'm just gonna hope he goes full rage-mode Trou Trou train in the offseason and to start the year and just keeps crushing dudes to say 'Fuck you' to Drury

Internet gonna internet, thats a seperate story.

Its looking more and more like he stays so yea.. i agree with you hope he comes back with a chip on his shoulder.

2 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

The point is Trouba is no longer in control of that. It’s a NTC. He shouldn’t be able to just threaten to not report to a team that isn’t on his list because of family commitments. This isn’t the profession for that.

If this were still an iron clad NMC, then sure. But it’s not. 

• Keeps it 100 2

2 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

The point is Trouba is no longer in control of that. It’s a NTC. He shouldn’t be able to just threaten to not report to a team that isn’t on his list because of family commitments. This isn’t the profession for that.

If this were still an iron clad NMC, then sure. But it’s not. 

well like you mentioned, I'm not inclined to believe in Brooksie's reporting at the moment so who knows where any of that came from. 

What we do know is that, with a 15 team NTC that he just submitted recently, you can essentially stretch that to as far of a full NTC if you want (and while he can be waived, Im assuming part of the deal to move him would include us retaining because $8 mil is a huge cap hit for most teams to take on right now)

Im sure he and his agent looked around the league and thought, ok the 17 teams we won't include will be most of the in division rivals, teams with limited cap space and teams the Rangers are competing with for a chance at a cup and any other team we think would have no interest.

Truth is, whether or not the 'not reporting' part is true or not, a 15 team NTC can be finagled into pretty much a full NTC when you factor all of that in

No feelings, all business. His list is submitted, Drurys job is to ice the best  team. Trouba eating 8mil of the cap on the third pair is ludicrous. His wife's job does not dictate if he stays or goes. They chose careers for this purpose. We all go through trials in life. Military wives survive. Stop whining while you make millions for playing a sport.

• Bullseye 1
  • Applause 1

Doesn't he also have like a basically new born baby? not sure if that's why his wife's residency was pushed back or not? not a ludicrous idea that he'd want to use any means he could to stay in NY with his wife and newborn at home. And when it comes to that point the 'he makes a lot of money, so what?' argument shouldn't be a factor

I know Drury wasn't the one who signed him to that contract but a contract is a contract and its one we gotta live with. It sucks we're not gonna be able to trade him and clear cap space. 

But realistically it will probably be easier to clear the cap space after next season anyway with 1 year left on his deal vs. 2. If he can't be moved, lets just support the player and cheer for him to succeed. 

• Like 1

Gorton left a bag of shit for Drury with this deal.. I can be argued Drury has misplayed his hand in managing the deal- but I think Trouba had the Aces. 

Stuck with this god awful contract for 2 more years it seems. Aside from helmet tossing skills and terrific room leadership (that has resulted in nothing meaningful), this deal has been highway robbery from day 1. 

Edited by Flynn
  • Keeps it 100 1

31 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

Doesn't he also have like a basically new born baby? not sure if that's why his wife's residency was pushed back or not? not a ludicrous idea that he'd want to use any means he could to stay in NY with his wife and newborn at home. And when it comes to that point the 'he makes a lot of money, so what?' argument shouldn't be a factor

I know Drury wasn't the one who signed him to that contract but a contract is a contract and its one we gotta live with. It sucks we're not gonna be able to trade him and clear cap space. 

But realistically it will probably be easier to clear the cap space after next season anyway with 1 year left on his deal vs. 2. If he can't be moved, lets just support the player and cheer for him to succeed. 

The thing that sucks is that by waiting, the core is another year older, can’t get some help they need this year and who knows how the contracts shake but it’s possible they need to not only move Trouba but possibly also someone like Kreider, thus weakening the team even further. I don’t know, I don’t get it. I get that moving for players is never easy. But this just isn’t the right profession for you then if it’s something where it’s a flat out no right from the jump. I’m sorry. I understand having that security and having things worked into your contract. But Troubas play has slipped for a few years now and we can’t look for a way out because of his commitments to his wife? Again, no disrespect, but that’s not Chris Drury or the New York Rangers problem. It really isn’t.

If there is a way, I do hope they still investigate it. I doubt it, because at this point, I don’t think any team would take Trouba even if the reports aren’t true because of fear he may not be happy whatsoever.

Edited by RichieNextel305

They're probably going to have to grin and bear it for another year. As stated, after next season, he becomes even easier to dump. Yeah, it sucks having to wait as the core continues to get older, but this likely the reality of the situation. Shit contract, and Drury doing what he can to get out of it, while looking terrible the process. Hopefully he can at least be better next season, assuming he is health. I think that's all you can really do at this point.

Players are separated from their families and living in hotels or temporary flats after being traded all the time.  If Kelly is doing a residency and Jacob is a hockey player, the baby is being largely raised by a nanny irrespective of what team Jacob is on.  Breaks from residencies are rare but do happen.  I don't know if that's the case here.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

• Phil changed the title to The Jacob Trouba Fiasco: Buyout? Trade? Nope, He's Probably Returning Afterall
2 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Yeah I agree. I mean, that’s just another level. It’s absurd.

But what’s also absurd is the fact that this NMC that turned into a NTC was orchestrated based on his residency. Again, it is not the Rangers fault that got delayed a year. I just think it’s unfair that he’s essentially holding the Rangers by the balls now. If he still had his full iron clad NMC, yeah, he can tell the Rangers tough luck boys, I’m staying.

But to basically threaten to not report, IF THAT PART OF THE ARTICLE IS TRUE (Brooksie has been off thus far), is simply unprofessional. Again, I get that it is a lousy situation. But this is no longer an NMC; it’s a modified NTC. As much as we want to make it out that the fans are being mean or Drury is acting in bad faith, Trouba would also be acting in bad faith when it comes to his own career by basically holding an NHL franchise hostage. It just sucks. The whole thing sucks. It sucks because this is going to stick with Trouba, fans are gonna be fans and because this really does fuck the Rangers pretty hard here when it comes to opening up some much needed room for a run this year. It’s hard to win when you’re paying $8 Million a year to a guy that is playing on your 3rd pair. This all goes back to how much the guy has regressed over time.

I disagree with this take. 

It's not his fault that the Rangers extended him a full NMC and a modified NTC. He does not have to give a reason, the media figured that out themselves. He could just as easily put the 15 teams with zero cap space on the list of teams he would accept a trade to, and we would be in the same situation. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

This could have all been avoided if Drury just traded Kreider for a good young player and some picks. There would have been some upset “omg win now” fans about it, but not an absolute mess of a situation like this. Just gotta listen to ol @BrooksBurner folks.

The two situations are not mutually exclusive. I would argue that it was Drury's trade of Buchnevich that the Rangers are still looking for a 1RW years into his tenure. We had one. We traded him away for a bag of potatoes. 

Kreider - Zibanejad - Buchnevich

Panarin - Trocheck - Lafreniere

Cuylle - Chytil - Kakko

Vesey - Carrick - Rempe

And without Kreider's season and post-season heroics over the last 2 - 3 years, this team could very well be in a different situation.