• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Jacob Trouba Fiasco: Buyout? Trade? Nope, He's Probably Returning Afterall

Grier did Drury a solid picking up Goodrow. I don't know if he can find another GM to do something like that, especially for that cap hit. They still have the offseason to work it out. It's kind of funny that Trouba us shocked about this. He has to know how terrible he was, he got demoted and sat. If he can't figure that out, then...yeah.

From a personal standpoint I'm sure it sucks. With Winnipeg, it was time for a split. Here, he's named captain for a contending team. I'm he and his wife were excited about enhancing their careers in New York. I really hope this isn't too drawn out, but it may get ugly.

7 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Grier did Drury a solid picking up Goodrow. I don't know if he can find another GM to do something like that, especially for that cap hit. They still have the offseason to work it out. It's kind of funny that Trouba us shocked about this. He has to know how terrible he was, he got demoted and sat. If he can't figure that out, then...yeah.

From a personal standpoint I'm sure it sucks. With Winnipeg, it was time for a split. Here, he's named captain for a contending team. I'm he and his wife were excited about enhancing their careers in New York. I really hope this isn't too drawn out, but it may get ugly.

No one wants to be in Winnipeg.

Ive actually been there. And at a nice time of year.

It sucks. 

Laine got drafted by Winnipeg. Spent 4-5 years there. Then he got traded to Columbus. And spent a few years there.

If I were there, guess what I’d likely be doing… DRINKING TOO MUCH!

I lived in Western Michigan for almost 15 years. I’m from Queens. 

Im not much of a drinker.

By year 3, I was having G&T’s every goddamn night.

Places you don’t belong, that aren’t right for you…., they kill you. 

1 minute ago, RangersIn7 said:

It sucks. 

Laine got drafted by Winnipeg. Spent 4-5 years there. Then he got traded to Columbus. And spent a few years there.

That is true, but still, it was just time for him to leave. It's the least important factor in what I was trying to say. This whole situation reminds me why I hate NTC. Another reason that contract was horrid.

He's captain of the team, and overpaid or not has been a decent player since he's been here aside from the most recent 2 months of play after his injury. I don't think it's out of the ordinary for that kind of player to be surprised that the leash is that short. It screams recency bias.

The question, I wonder, is if Drury really thinks this team is a "minus Trouba and 5.5 million extra to spend" away from the ultimate prize. I really doubt it. I suspect that trading the captain would be more indicative that he's not expecting this team to get it done, so he's going to do what is in his power to start to make things feel uncomfortable. The message sent is he's going to do what he wants for the team, and your feelings don't matter. That's a good thing.

• Like 2
  • Bullseye 1

Yeah, it definitely sends a message whether he actually gets dealt or not. If they're willing to trade their captain, then no one is safe. Usually if players know they aren't wanted, they will ultimately waive, but I'm still interested to see how this plays out.

• Bullseye 1

27 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

It sucks. 

14 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

He's captain of the team, and overpaid or not has been a decent player since he's been here aside from the most recent 2 months of play after his injury. I don't think it's out of the ordinary for that kind of player to be surprised that the leash is that short. It screams recency bias.

The question, I wonder, is if Drury really thinks this team is a "minus Trouba and 5.5 million extra to spend" away from the ultimate prize. I really doubt it. I suspect that trading the captain would be more indicative that he's not expecting this team to get it done, so he's going to do what is in his power to start to make things feel uncomfortable. The message sent is he's going to do what he wants for the team, and your feelings don't matter. That's a good thing.

This is all well and good but if trouba thinks he’s worth his contract then he’s dumber than he looks. 

at the end of the day the contract he signed allows for him to be moved. That contract is an achor that when combined with the on ice product every GM with half a brain would try and move. The rangers have every right to try to move him and he should know this is a business as much as anything else. 

He gets to choose from half the league where he doesn’t want to play. I simply have no sympathy for him. Don’t take monster contracts if you arent sure you can live up to them. 

• Like 2
  • Bullseye 2

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

I think its more like Trouba played himself into a 3rd pairing dman. Does this team need a $8M fifth/sixth defenseman? Or could they trade him and find a $2-$3M replacement and free up more cap space for another forward?  
Shneider and Miller proved they can play together at a better level than Miller and Trouba. Trouba seems to be an odd man out, especially with his unbearable salary 

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 2

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

I think part of it is recency bias too.

I’ll rehash some things.

Trouba was miserable in Winnipeg.

And coming off a career year in which he was making $5 million, going into his goal RFA year and full arbitration eligibility. Had he gone to arb on a 1 year deal, he’d have gotten north of $6 million. Easily. 
He was also only 25. Meaning only 26 had he gone to market the following summer, July of 2020. That’s crazy young for an UFA.

On a long-term deal, the following summer, had he gone to market, he gets 7 years. He gets a minimum of $45 million. Probably more like $50 million.

Now Gorton certainly fucked up.

He didn’t have to give him $56 million.

He didn’t have to give him 5 years of full NMC. That deal, at 7 years, should have likely come in around $46-48 million. 
He just gave him way too much… on a guy who wanted to be here and here alone. 

But… he also was exactly what they needed at the time. Very good top pairing RHD, at 26 years old, on a rebuilding team with lots of young D filtering in and more behind them.

Long story short, he’s the kind of player they needed.

And that side of him helped make and take pressure off of guys like Fox, Lindgren, Miller, and Schneider. 

By in large, over 5 years, he’s been good.

Not great. Not worth his contract. But good. And the intangibles have been there and made a difference and helped other guys grow. 

As for now… Dude… the guy broke his ankle, came back in less than a month, and was visibly and obviously negative as a result. He was bad and heavily impacted by it. He should not have been playing. But if your veteran and highly respected Captain says I’m a go, he goes. That’s it. 

If he’s here moving forward, I believe he’s better. In fact, if he had his best season next year, that honestly wouldn’t surprise me. 

But it’s an awful lot of money that maybe is better spent elsewhere. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

I think part of it is recency bias too.

I’ll rehash some things.

Trouba was miserable in Winnipeg.

And coming off a career year in which he was making $5 million, going into his goal RFA year and full arbitration eligibility. Had he gone to arb on a 1 year deal, he’d have gotten north of $6 million. Easily. 
He was also only 25. Meaning only 26 had he gone to market the following summer, July of 2020. That’s crazy young for an UFA.

On a long-term deal, the following summer, had he gone to market, he gets 7 years. He gets a minimum of $45 million. Probably more like $50 million.

Now Gorton certainly fucked up.

He didn’t have to give him $56 million.

He didn’t have to give him 5 years of full NMC. That deal, at 7 years, should have likely come in around $46-48 million. 
He just gave him way too much… on a guy who wanted to be here and here alone. 

But… he also was exactly what they needed at the time. Very good top pairing RHD, at 26 years old, on a rebuilding team with lots of young D filtering in and more behind them.

Long story short, he’s the kind of player they needed.

And that side of him helped make and take pressure off of guys like Fox, Lindgren, Miller, and Schneider. 

By in large, over 5 years, he’s been good.

Not great. Not worth his contract. But good. And the intangibles have been there and made a difference and helped other guys grow. 

As for now… Dude… the guy broke his ankle, came back in less than a month, and was visibly and obviously negative as a result. He was bad and heavily impacted by it. He should not have been playing. But if your veteran and highly respected Captain says I’m a go, he goes. That’s it. 

If he’s here moving forward, I believe he’s better. In fact, if he had his best season next year, that honestly wouldn’t surprise me. 

But it’s an awful lot of money that maybe is better spent elsewhere. 

I agree with all of this.

The bold is dependent on no retention though. The initial rumors were that he may have positive value, which insinuated that 8 million could be freed up. That would be outstanding and I agree. Then the most recent rumor was they would have to retain $2.5 million, so they cut 5.5 million. The general consensus has been he's a $4-6 million guy paid 8. You're freeing up enough money to replace what he brings. I don't agree with the current fad saying he's addition by subtraction.

I mean, all due respect, but he did this to himself. I understand being outplayed by Fox and having him jump you in the food chain; Fox is one of the best defensemen in the world.

But, and no disrespect to Braden Schneider, but I don’t think many expected Schneider to come in and jump Trouba this fast. And more of that has to do with Trouba slipping than Schneider ascending, though both are definitely true.

With all of that happening, and with him making $8 Million per season and now effectively being a 3rd Pair defenseman, what else is the team supposed to do?

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

3 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I mean, all due respect, but he did this to himself. I understand being outplayed by Fox and having him jump you in the food chain; Fox is one of the best defensemen in the world.

But, and no disrespect to Braden Schneider, but I don’t think many expected Schneider to come in and jump Trouba this fast. And more of that has to do with Trouba slipping than Schneider ascending, though both are definitely true.

With all of that happening, and with him making $8 Million per season and now effectively being a 3rd Pair defenseman, what else is the team supposed to do?

Yea, it's not difficult to see.

He was leapt on the depth chart and this team can't afford an $8M 3rd pair guy who isn't worth his paycheck to begin with. 

We've heard Drury wants cap flexibility. He can only move certain players due to clauses and it seems  he's moving the ones that aren't worth their cap hit.

These are kind of obvious moves and moves most of us asked for, and no one thought would happen, but they are. Guess Drury is smart and guess he had balls...

Doesn't need to be spun into something else with made up ulterior motives.

Edited by Pete

You have to move this guy.  It’s a must!  He’s not a real Ranger- they traded for him and he’s really never done much while here except throw a few big hits and toss a helmate in frustration.  It will set this organization backwards keeping him around.  You need the money for Schneider and Lindgren- two actual Rangers.  

Plus, Trouba is now sour on the organization and you don’t want that crap in the locker room with a group of guys who already are prone to country club hockey.  This HAS TO GET DONE!

Edited by JHS

Question, and maybe a dumb one. But didn’t they used to have the period that began on June 25th where UFAs were allowed to talk to other teams? Now that’s gone, but they have to have some way of back channel or a period of time to talk, no? Because usually all these deals happen relatively fast on July 1 at noon. I just didn’t know the situation with when or if they can chat.

Edited by RichieNextel305

10 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

The problem is that in a salary cap league, recency bias is going to happen. 

If you are going to represent 10% of the cap, you need to be a top pairing defensemen. You need to be offensively gifted and defensively sound. You need to not take dumb penalties. 

Being a good leader is simply not enough. Being a tough player is not enough. You can find those guys for just about the league minimum. The reality is that Trouba was on the ice for 50%+ of the opponent’s goals (or so it seemed). 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bieser said:

Maybe covered already but any concern Trouble adds Detroit to his 15 team list since there's talk of a potential deal?

There was talk of him possibly making a defensive list. I'm sure his issue with moving has something to do with his personal life as well. It is well known that he is rooted here very well with his wife but whether it be this year or next, he was never retiring a Ranger. Leetch, Graves, Mess etc all spent time with other orgs post initial stint with the Rangers.

Edited by jsm7302

16 minutes ago, Bieser said:

Maybe covered already but any concern Trouble adds Detroit to his 15 team list since there's talk of a potential deal?

I keep hearing this but the rangers asked him for his list early. I would imagine it’s been submitted through the league and is probably official.

if not then drury is an idiot 

11 minutes ago, siddious said:

I keep hearing this but the rangers asked him for his list early. I would imagine it’s been submitted through the league and is probably official.

if not then drury is an idiot 

Just because they asked him for it early doesn't mean he has to send it. His list isn't due until July 1st, he doesn't have to submit it until then and it has nothing to do with anybody being an idiot.

My Lord. 

Edited by Pete

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

Just because they asked him for it early doesn't mean he has to send it. His list isn't due until July 1st, he doesn't have to submit it until then and it has nothing to do with anybody being an idiot.

My Lord. 

My lord what? 

if he’s negotiating a deal with a team that’s not in his list, or that he could veto because the list isn’t official then I would say that’s a highly stupid thing to do. 

With that said, the assumption is the list is in since a deal was being worked on. 

4 minutes ago, siddious said:

My lord what? 

if he’s negotiating a deal with a team that’s not in his list, or that he could veto because the list isn’t official then I would say that’s a highly stupid thing to do. 

With that said, the assumption is the list is in since a deal was being worked on. 

My Lord everybody's not an idiot and they know what they're doing, probably a lot more than anybody here, because they have all the information and we don't. 

Just let it play out. 

Edited by Pete

lol reread my post dude I wasn’t calling him an idiot I was saying it would be an idiot thing to do.

I mean anything is possible but I would assume the “list” is set and official even though it’s not July 1 yet. Otherwise why would drury already be negotiating with someone.