• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Among Teams Showing Interest in Trevor Zegras

At least eight teams have expressed serious interest in Zegras, including the Chicago Blackhawks, New York Rangers, Montreal Canadiens, Philadelphia Flyers, Ottawa Senators, Nashville Predators, Calgary Flames and Buffalo Sabres, and I believe other clubs have also been in the mix.

Regarding the specific asking price, it varies team-by-team and so far, nobody will elaborate on the specific demands aside from emphasizing it’s a “big price.”

https://www.thefourthperiod.com/pagnotta/zegras-a-trade-target-but-move-may-wait

I don’t really see a fit here for the Rangers unless they also dealt Zibanejad. But even then, I’m not sure about the fit. Doesn’t really make sense at the moment.

Edited by RichieNextel305

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Yea TFP is trash. They put the Rangers in on every player, because its generates traffic.

Look at that list, too. It's an SEO wet dream.

• ALEXIS! 1

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

I agree with ya’ll about TFP. Weird that SNY is giving it credence.

No, it isn't. They're an aggregator. They'll run with almost anything.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Didn't you all hear?  The Rangers are getting every free agent and every rumored to be traded player.

Yeah but this is one I want so I’m going to pretend it’s rock solid information

• LMFAO 3

depends on the cost but I'm not totally opposed to it I guess? if he can be healthy and produce how he had in the two previous seasons the contact is cheap for that production and he's still very young

cons - not a 2-way player, injury prone, unknown on if he's a 'show up when it matters type', unclear where he fits in the lineup

pros - plays with some swag, think its someone that can bring a jolt of energy to the team, highly skilled

realistically I'm not sure where he fits in the lineup, unless Drury is going to offload one of our top-6 which I don't think is happening. and I don't think he plays the right side at all which is probably the biggest hole to fill right now. 

8 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

depends on the cost but I'm not totally opposed to it I guess? if he can be healthy and produce how he had in the two previous seasons the contact is cheap for that production and he's still very young

cons - not a 2-way player, injury prone, unknown on if he's a 'show up when it matters type', unclear where he fits in the lineup

pros - plays with some swag, think its someone that can bring a jolt of energy to the team, highly skilled

realistically I'm not sure where he fits in the lineup, unless Drury is going to offload one of our top-6 which I don't think is happening. and I don't think he plays the right side at all which is probably the biggest hole to fill right now. 

Right there, Triple B!  I think we need a RW first and foremost....then we can address the #3C, and then see what's up with #8.

• Cheers 1

Lots of people are saying to get tougher and meaner but the focus should be on improving the team in my opinion.  Kane improves the team without a doubt.  In a perfect world they find a way to move Trouba without retention.  Acquire a top 6 RW and a legit 3C.  Doubt 2 of those 3 happen though.

Posted (edited)

Not every single player the Rangers sign, trade for or draft this season are going to be menacing giants who are physical bulls.

Yes, they are an elite team. Yes, they have holes. Yes, they probably need some size. No, not every single player they target is going to be a 6’4 behemoth. No, not every player they look at is going to be 25 years old. All of this is true. And is fine. You need to find the right players and the right value.

”They want to get bigger but they’re targeting Patrick Kane?” Not here to rip people or their opinions. But just because they may sign Kane to answer a glaring hole on the top line doesn’t mean they won’t look to bulk up in other areas of need.

If Drury can go and acquire 5 or 6 different guys this off-season that are 24 year old rising stars that are all 6’4 with size and scoring ability, I’m sure he would do it. But it’s just not a reality.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Not every single player the Rangers sign, trade for or draft this season are going to be menacing giants who are physical bulls.

Yes, they are an elite team. Yes, they have holes. Yes, they probably need some size. No, not every single player they target is going to be a 6’4 behemoth. No, not every player they look at is going to be 25 years old. All of this is true. And is fine. You need to find the right players and the right value.

”They want to get bigger but they’re targeting Patrick Kane?” Not here to rip people or their opinions. But just because they may sign Kane to answer a glaring hole on the top line doesn’t mean they won’t look to bulk up in other areas of need.

If Drury can go and acquire 5 or 6 different guys this off-season that are 24 year old rising stars that are all 6’4 with size and scoring ability, I’m sure he would do it. But it’s just not a reality.

Bingo!  I agree Richie!

Hulking size and toughness are ingredients that are needed.  But you don't make the whole stew with just carrots.  Gotta have some potatoes, meat, a nice gravy, and oh yeah....some bread!  (...see what I did there!)

The biggest difference I saw with Edmonton in this Finals, was that they have a lot more speed than Florida was ready for.  You can't hit what you can't catch!  That and the fact the EDMONTON'S PLAYERS WERE WILLING TO TAKE A HIT TO MAKE A PLAY!

They didn't unload the puck because they were scared of an oncoming hit!  We did that shit relentlessly in our series, causing us to be in our own zone countless times, needed Igor to bail us out!

How about instead of toughness, we refer to it as players with fucking balls, and speed, who can take a hit, make a play, and give it back?  ..and maybe beat the opposition to the puck, winning a 50/50 board battle for a change.

That's what I saw!

34 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Lots of people are saying to get tougher and meaner but the focus should be on improving the team in my opinion.  Kane improves the team without a doubt.  In a perfect world they find a way to move Trouba without retention.  Acquire a top 6 RW and a legit 3C.  Doubt 2 of those 3 happen though.

I felt like we didn't lack toughness against Florida.  We didn't have the skill and speed to break the zone.  We had trouble entering the offensive zone and overall puck possession issues.  I don't want to emulate their forecheck.  I want to deal with it. I'll take Kane.  Even more so at the right dollar amount.

Edited by Bieser
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Agree, but I improving the team is a blanket statement. A gritty team improves by adding more talent. A talented team improves by adding more grit.

For the Rangers, I think it comes down to improving the forecheck. The Oilers aren't tough and mean, but they went toe to toe to the very end with the big bad Panthers. That was because of their forecheck. The Panthers got away with some edgy physical contact in the Rangers series, some of which left you scratching your head wondering how they weren't getting rung up for it, but that's not why they won. They won because they had a cohesive forecheck and the game was played in the Rangers' end of the rink. The Rangers could not establish a quality forecheck. You want bounces and calls, that's how you get them.

Establishing a consistent forecheck requires buy in from everybody on each line. It requires precision and timing on dump and chases, zone entries, etc. It requires pestering effort to make the opposing defensemen work hard, force turnovers for zone time. These traits are relatively non-existent here.

10 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Agree, but I improving the team is a blanket statement. A gritty team improves by adding more talent. A talented team improves by adding more grit.

For the Rangers, I think it comes down to improving the forecheck. The Oilers aren't tough and mean, but they went toe to toe to the very end with the big bad Panthers. That was because of their forecheck. The Panthers got away with some edgy physical contact in the Rangers series, some of which left you scratching your head wondering how they weren't getting rung up for it, but that's not why they won. They won because they had a cohesive forecheck and the game was played in the Rangers' end of the rink. The Rangers could not establish a quality forecheck. You want bounces and calls, that's how you get them.

Establishing a consistent forecheck requires buy in from everybody on each line. It requires precision and timing on dump and chases, zone entries, etc. It requires pestering effort to make the opposing defensemen work hard, force turnovers for zone time. These traits are relatively non-existent here.

Rangers have a forecheck?

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

What this core has bought into is cycle the puck and look for good opportunities to shoot.  That more than anything else describes the top 6.

Now if they'd just take those "good" shots we'd be fine but some of them believe the next shot is almost always going to be better and they make the extra passes to prove it.

My hope for a change next season is that Fox continues the pattern he established this year of penetrating to the slot and taking the shot.  He should be a 20 goal guy and without the injuries this season he might have gotten there.