• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Does the Ullmark Trade Affect Shesterkin?

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

It will not affect them in any way. He will still be getting paid a lot of money by the Rangers for the foreseeable future.

But just suppose the Rangers trade Shesterkin?  Who will  they use for goalie?

10 minutes ago, Rangers1994 said:

But just suppose the Rangers trade Shesterkin?  Who will  they use for goalie?

It would depend who they trade him to, as to who they'd get in return. You don't need to spend a ton on goaltending to win, but you still need great goaltending to win and Igor is one of the best. He's going to get paid, and I think it will be here.

I really don't want him here at anything over $10 million.

Who'll play goalie?  I'd fucking do it myself, if we could save money on the cap!  There is so much we could do with that salary...like address a long overdue problem with RW and maybe acquire a 3rd line center like a Boone Jenner type, that actually IS a 3rd line center.

You guys have seen this movie before with Hank....we can get back a metric ass-load for Igor right now, and I really think this is the time to move him. 

I know ...the fucking "window"!  I don't buy into that shit anymore, because I just saw a career mediocre goalie take his team to a 7th game of the Finals.  Yeah, the last one was a softee, but I'll blame the defense for collapsing on him....so that's arguement's dead!

The Rangers are in a weird spot with Shesterkin.

On one hand, he's the best goalie on earth and he's probably worth that 12m. But the cap exists and we have other needs too. 

On the other, the goalie valuation in the trade market is ten kinds of fucked up. Ullmark won a Vezina not 12 months ago and he just got a 1st and some trash. Markstrom - a recent Vezina candidate - just got a 1st and a bottom 4 D. 

Then, you have the added complication of trading Shesterkin to a team that won't burn us. Western Conference only. Then you narrow it down to "needs a goalie, or thinks a goalie might accelerate things" - that eliminates a BUNCH of teams. Then you narrow it down to "would pay Shesterkin" and you lose a few more. Then you narrow down "Shesterkin wants to play there", "has the assets" - and suddenly you're looking at like...two teams.

It's a real catch 22 and the only really good answer for the Rangers is if Shesterkin is willing to not have an 8 figure cap hit. 

• Phil changed the title to Does the Ullmark Trade Affect Shesterkin?

The trade itself has no impact. His extension might have some, but Shesterkin's only real comparables are Bobrovsky and Hellebuyck. Sorokin should have been, but Shesterkin lapped him.

Bottom line is I don't think we really can afford anything more than $9 million, and I really can't see him accepting that at all.  If I'm him, I wouldn't either; his value is probably around 11-12 million right now.

He's basically priced himself out the door here.

Good thing we have a year to get this thing done, one way or another.

12 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Bottom line is I don't think we really can afford anything more than $9 million, and I really can't see him accepting that at all.  If I'm him, I wouldn't either; his value is probably around 11-12 million right now.

He's basically priced himself out the door here.

Good thing we have a year to get this thing done, one way or another.

Not to be contrarian, but we can get him 12m/y for the next 4 years and still keep the cap hit at 9m. 12/12/12/12/6/6/6/6 is a perfectly legal 9m AAV deal that, if structured properly, can get Shesterkin 47 million dollars on the new contract by July 1, 2028. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Not to be contrarian, but we can get him 12m/y for the next 4 years and still keep the cap hit at 9m. 12/12/12/12/6/6/6/6 is a perfectly legal 9m AAV deal that, if structured properly, can get Shesterkin 47 million dollars on the new contract by July 1, 2028. 

I'm no capologist, G Man, but if that's attainable, which apparently it is...I think that may be the path we need to go down then, if we wanna keep him.  I just can't see paying a goalie 10 figures and having a team around him that's got a "Callahan" as our top scorer with 33 points.

I think Bobby winning the cup affects Shesty’s next contract more than the Ullmark trade. 
FLA proved that you can pay a goalie 1/8 of your cap and win, overperformers notwithstanding. 

• Keeps it 100 1

43 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I'm no capologist, G Man, but if that's attainable, which apparently it is...I think that may be the path we need to go down then, if we wanna keep him.  I just can't see paying a goalie 10 figures and having a team around him that's got a "Callahan" as our top scorer with 33 points.

I think it's the happy medium. Shesterkin gets ostensibly 4x12 then 4x6. Cap hit stays low-ish, but Shesterkin still gets 72m. 

The only problem with that contract is that if a buyout has to happen, it's a death sentence.

• Keeps it 100 1

7 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

I think it's the happy medium. Shesterkin gets ostensibly 4x12 then 4x6. Cap hit stays low-ish, but Shesterkin still gets 72m. 

The only problem with that contract is that if a buyout has to happen, it's a death sentence.

...and with goalies, you know how fast that can drop off.  As well as Igor did in the playoffs this past season, I still have vivid memories of what he looked like in November and December.  That shit worries me!

I'm really thinking maybe our best option may be to at least shop him and see what we could get in return.  If Quick was able to hold the fort for a couple of months at a ripe old age of 39, we could most likely get a solid option that could allow us to bolster our glaring holes in the lineup.

15 minutes ago, phillyb said:

I think Bobby winning the cup affects Shesty’s next contract more than the Ullmark trade. 
FLA proved that you can pay a goalie 1/8 of your cap and win, overperformers notwithstanding. 

Absolutely. An example is now written in stone. It’s a heavy outlier, but it doesn’t matter. It’ll still be used as justification to do something.

16 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

The other problem is he grosses 72 million instead of 90, but sure. Lol.

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

...and with goalies, you know how fast that can drop off.  As well as Igor did in the playoffs this past season, I still have vivid memories of what he looked like in November and December.  That shit worries me!

I'm really thinking maybe our best option may be to at least shop him and see what we could get in return.  If Quick was able to hold the fort for a couple of months at a ripe old age of 39, we could most likely get a solid option that could allow us to bolster our glaring holes in the lineup.

I'd send him to the Kraken for Grubauer, Wright, and a pick or something? I dunno.

• Bullseye 1
  • Applause 1

2 hours ago, phillyb said:

I doubt it. Teams are smart enough to realize that you're not regularly getting 100pts/60G from a guy making 6M and 40G from a guy making 4+. Good chance they lose 2-3 of Reinhart, Verhaghe, Stenlund, Montour, Bennett, Ekblad because of Bob's salary IF they don't buy him out (don't know what a buyout looks like) but it's an almost impossible scenario to recreate.

It'd be one thing if they had Lafreniere and Miller locked in, but they don't. They simply can't afford to pay him more than maybe 9M AND put together an offense worth a damn. 

On 6/25/2024 at 2:24 PM, Pete said:

I doubt it. Teams are smart enough to realize that you're not regularly getting 100pts/60G from a guy making 6M and 40G from a guy making 4+. Good chance they lose 2-3 of Reinhart, Verhaghe, Stenlund, Montour, Bennett, Ekblad because of Bob's salary IF they don't buy him out (don't know what a buyout looks like) but it's an almost impossible scenario to recreate.

It'd be one thing if they had Lafreniere and Miller locked in, but they don't. They simply can't afford to pay him more than maybe 9M AND put together an offense worth a damn. 

Florida is losing guys. And they know it.

They got 91 goals this year out of 2 players making $10.6 million. 

Call it what you want- good GM, scouting, being savvy… but no one expected that.

They stepped in shit on that. 

They’re going to backslide. 

• Bullseye 1

1 minute ago, RangersIn7 said:

Florida is losing guys. And they know it.

They got 91 goals this year out of 2 players making $10.6 million. 

Call it what you want- good GM, scouting, being savvy… but no one expected that.

They stepped in shit on that. 

They’re going to backslide. 

Yea I mentioned in one of these threads that we paid 18 million for 90 goals from Panarin and Kreider and Florida paid half that for the same goals. 

21 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yea I mentioned in one of these threads that we paid 18 million for 90 goals from Panarin and Kreider and Florida paid half that for the same goals. 

And that’s in the going rate ballpark for that amount of goals.

26 minutes ago, Pete said:

Also… Reinhart isn’t a C… and next to anything but a top-5 C, he’s a 25 goal, 60 point guy.

Verhaege though is vastly underrated.

Hes a legit 30+ goal guy in anyones top-6.