• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2024 NHL Entry Draft — USNTDP or Die!

2024-draft-header-en_jign2p.jpg

2024 Upper Deck NHL Draft
The Sphere – Las Vegas, NV

Round 1, June 28 (7 p.m. E.T.; ESPN, SN, TVAS)
Rounds 2-7, June 29 (11 a.m. E.T.; NHLN, SN, TVAS)

NYR Logo

Rangers Selections

1st Round, Pick 30

4th Round, Pick 127

5th Round, Pick 159

6th Round, Pick 191

Projected Selections at 30

Bob McKenzie, TSN — Andrew Basha, LW, Medicine Hat Tigers (WHL)

Craig Button, TSN —  Andrew Basha, LW, Medicine Hat Tigers (WHL)

Corey Pronman, The Athletic — Dean Letourneau, C, St. Andrew's College (PHC)

Scott Wheeler, The Athletic — Charlie Elick, D, Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL)

Chris Peters, FloHockey — Leo Sahlin Wallenius, D, Vaxjo U20 (SWE)

Sam Cosentino, Sportsnet — EJ Emery, D, USNTDP (USHL)

EliteProspects — Ben Danford, D, Oshawa Generals (OHL)

HockeyProspectSacha Boisvert, C, Muskegon Lumberjacks (USHL)

Other Links

Draft Central Coverage

2024 Draft Prospect Rankings

• Thanks 1

• Phil changed the title to 2024 NHL Entry Draft — USNTDP or Die!
  • Drew a Penalty changed the title to 2024 NHL Entry Draft — Usntdp or Die!

The OP has been updated with links to various mock drafts and the player profiles of projected picks.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I hope holding on to that #1 was worth it, Mr Dolan!

@Drew a Penalty

What's we lookin' like here, man?

Honestly, I didn't watch prospects outside of Hartford or the WJC this season. I didn't anticipate the Rangers having a first-round pick and didn't feel like committing more time to keeping up. Any information I can provide is secondhand and I'm not as comfortable backing as if I had gotten viewings in.

That said, from what I gleaned catching up these last few weeks, I'm drawn to center and defense given the organizational need:

Dean Letourneau obviously stands out given his size and the Rangers' predilection towards those of large physical stature. The question is whether or not he dominated a Canadian high school league because he's just so big. He's headed to Boston College next season with Will Smith's departure so we'll find out very quickly if he can hang with the likes of Perreault and Leonard.

Cole Beaudoin stands out as a heavy two-way center. HockeyProspect spent a lot of time likening him to Boone Jenner, though that was largely based on his overcoming his footspeed — Beaudoin also said he models his game after Jenner.  Seems a little low upside but you're not getting much better at 30. He seems destined to get picked right before the Rangers.

Yegor Surin interests me even if it seems unlikely that Drury goes with a Russian. By all accounts, he's considered one of the more aggressive and high-motor players in this draft. He's another potential center option.

I need to get a better read on Emery and Elick because people seem to like linking them to the Rangers. I've heard and read conflicting reports about how physical they are.

Other random names that I liked beyond the first round: Fyodor Avramov, Loke Johansson, Oleg Maistrenko, Justin Solovey, Herman Traff, Nathan Villeneuve

• Thanks 4

I'll take the pick. I don't think Adam Henrique or Sean Monahan pushed us past Florida so make something out of #30.. 

I'd be calling Winnipeg and seeing exactly what their bottom price on Rutger McGroarty is. 

• Keeps it 100 2

1 hour ago, Cash or Czech said:

Wow I'm so glad we're drafting 30th at the Sphere instead of having acquired a useful player at the deadline...

I believe this rumor was later disproven as hokum. 

On a side note I had to google how to spell hokum because it didnt seem right with the "K" but here we are...

Phil posted it in another thread but sounds like rangers are looking to move up.

30 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

The OP has been updated with links to various mock drafts and the player profiles of projected picks.

Honestly, I didn't watch prospects outside of Hartford or the WJC this season. I didn't anticipate the Rangers having a first-round pick and didn't feel like committing more time to keeping up. Any information I can provide is secondhand and I'm not as comfortable backing as if I had gotten viewings in.

That said, from what I gleaned catching up these last few weeks, I'm drawn to center and defense given the organizational need:

Dean Letourneau obviously stands out given his size and the Rangers' predilection towards those of large physical stature. The question is whether or not he dominated a Canadian high school league because he's just so big. He's headed to Boston College next season with Will Smith's departure so we'll find out very quickly if he can hang with the likes of Perreault and Leonard.

Cole Beaudoin stands out as a heavy two-way center. HockeyProspect spent a lot of time likening him to Boone Jenner, though that was largely based on his overcoming his footspeed — Beaudoin also said he models his game after Jenner.  Seems a little low upside but you're not getting much better at 30. He seems destined to get picked right before the Rangers.

Yegor Surin interests me even if it seems unlikely that Drury goes with a Russian. By all accounts, he's considered one of the more aggressive and high-motor players in this draft. He's another potential center option.

I need to get a better read on Emery and Elick because people seem to like linking them to the Rangers. I've heard and read conflicting reports about how physical they are.

Other random names that I liked beyond the first round: Fyodor Avramov, Loke Johansson, Oleg Maistrenko, Justin Solovey, Herman Traff, Nathan Villeneuve

You're a mad man Drew!!!  Thanks dude....I'll be following along!

• Phil changed the title to 2024 NHL Entry Draft — USNTDP or Die!

Vince put out his Draft preview this morning featuring 8 prospects. He highlights some names that have already been brought up here like Beaudoin, Letourneau, Surin, Emery, and Elick.

Centers

Cole Beaudoin, Barrie (OHL)

Some believe he'll be gone by the time the Rangers pick, but most experts rank the 6-foot-2, 209-pounder right around No. 30. If he's available, Beaudoin feels like one of the safer picks in this range of the draft, with a committed two-way game with size, strength and work ethic, particularly in forechecking and puck pursuit situations.

The Kanata, Ontario native was productive this past season with Barrie, as well, registering 62 points (28 goals and 34 assists) in 67 games played, but the offensive upside may be somewhat limited as he rises levels. Most scouts project him as a future third-line center.

Dean Letourneau, St. Andrew’s (PHC)

If upside is the goal, then it might be worth taking a swing on this 6-foot-7 unicorn. The Braeside, Ontario native racked up 127 points (61 goals and 66 assists) in 56 games for St. Andrews, a Canadian prep school, which are impressive numbers at any level. That eye-popping production, coupled with Letourneau's unique combination of towering size, soft hands and tantalizing athleticism, has piqued NHL teams' interest.

There is growing belief that someone will take a chance on that intriguing skill set in first round, with high-ceiling comparisons to Sabres star Tage Thompson even flying round. The obvious hesitation is the lack of verification against better competition. Letourneau is heading to Boston College this fall, so tougher tests are coming. But the Rangers (and others) will have to make their decision based on raw projections.

Julius Miettinen, Everett (WHL)

Sticking with the big center theme (although none are as big as Letourneau), this 6-foot-3, 207-pounder seems likely to be available when the Blueshirts pick. His scouting report reads similar to Beaudoin, with size, strength and physical edge.

There's some offense in the tank, as well, which the Finland native showed by collecting 67 points (31 goals and 36 assists) in 66 games in his first North American season with WHL Everett. He's often labeled as a power forward, with the ability to protect pucks in traffic and get to the high-danger areas, but also has a left-handed shot he can use if given the space.

Yegor Surin, Loko Yaroslavl (MHL)

Surin may not have the commanding size of the other centers on this list − although he's not small, either, at 6-foot-1, 192 pounds − but he certainly has the motor. He sounds like a bigger, more offensively gifted version of Rangers prospect Adam Sýkora due to his aggressiveness and fast pace.

He combines that relentless approach with a quick release and underrated playmaking ability, which led to 52 points (22 goals and 30 assists) in 42 games in Russia's junior league last season. He also has a knack for getting under opponents' skin, with a tendency to cross the line and take too many penalties, but his combo of skill and snarl seems right up New York's alley.

Defensemen

Charlie Elick, Brandon (WHL)

The Rangers have had recent success with defensemen from WHL Brandon, namely 2020 first-round pick Braden Schneider, and could go back to that well for another right-shot, physical, reliable defender. The 6-foot-4 Elick checks all of those boxes, with strong skating skills to boot.

He's probably not going to produce a ton of points and doesn't have a great shot, having posted 27 points (four goals and 23 assists) with Brandon last season. But most scouts believe he'll develop into an NHL-caliber blue liner because of his mobility, length and effectiveness protecting his own end.

EJ Emery, USNTDP

It's no secret that the Rangers love U.S. National Team Development Program products, having opened last year's draft by selecting a pair in Perreault and Drew Fortescue. Emery would probably crack the top 20 if he'd produced more than 16 assists in 61 games last season − and he still might. But if by chance he's available at No. 30, then he feels like a slam-dunk pick.

His athletic upside is enticing after excelling at the scouting combine, but the 6-foot-3, 185-pounder has the on-ice results to back it up. He was widely considered the best defensive defenseman on Team USA's under-18 squad, using his long wingspan, high-end skating and ability to read plays to swallow up opposing forwards. The University of North Dakota commit has likened his game to current New York defenseman K'Andre Miller, with the main difference being Emery's right-handed shot.

Adam Kleber, Lincoln (USHL)

Have you heard the Rangers are searching for big, strong defenseman? This 6-foot-5, 214-pounder has a better chance of being around at No. 30 than both Elick and Emery, mainly because his skating isn't on par with those two. But Kleber is lanky, physical and steady defensively, which are all traits the Blueshirts would welcome on their back end.

The Chaska, Minnesota native isn't going to produce a ton of offense, with a modest 26 points (five goals and 21 assists) in 56 games for USHL Lincoln last season. But he's considered an effective enough puck-mover when it comes to breakouts and outlet passes, with a chance to hone those skills as he moves onto the University of Minnesota-Duluth.

Jesse Pulkkinen, JYP (Liiga)

The first three defensemen we covered were all right-handed shots, but Pulkkinen offers an alternative on the left side. He also sticks with the organizational mandate to add size and strength, with a 6-foot-6, 220-pound frame that looks pro ready.

The 19-year-old is an interesting prospect because he went undrafted when first eligible last year, then burst on the scene this past season. The improvement was stark, earning him a 29-game promotion to Finland's top league, where he impressed scouts with his poise, physicality and puck skills. He's developing into a well-rounded defenseman who many now see as a late first/early second-round pick.

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2024/06/26/nhl-draft-preview-8-prospects-the-rangers-could-target-at-pick-no-30/74195600007/

Letourneau feels like a Jessiman... Just an over correction of "we need more size" so someone will take him in the first round based on that alone. 

I wouldn't mind if the Rangers took him, but I also would be very cautious about what to expect, and remembering that they'd be taking a first rounder who likely would not even sniff the NHL for 4 or 5 years.

Anything can happen, but it usually happens slower for big guys. 

Edited by Pete

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

Letourneau feels like a Jessiman... Just an over correction of "we need more size" so someone will take him in the first round based on that alone. 

I wouldn't mind if the Rangers took him, but I also would be very cautious about what to expect, and remembering that they'd be taking a first rounder who likely would not even sniff the NHL for 4 or 5 years.

Anything can happen, but it usually happens slower for big guys. 

And that's a fine pick to make at 30 in a weak draft as opposed to 12 in one of the strongest drafts the NHL has seen.

The thing to watch with Letourneau is how he performs with his timeline now sped up. He was committed to playing next season in the USHL and then the following at Boston College, but Will Smith's departure opened up a spot for Letourneau at BC.

Letourneau failed to register a point in either of his two USHL games this season and injury prevented him from playing any more. Is he ready for the jump without the USHL gap year? Odds are yes. Morgan Barron came out of the same program as Letourneau and went straight to college with 18 points in 33 games as a freshman. Letourneau, who more than doubled Barron's PHC numbers, would likely be insulated as a third-line center behind next year's presumptive first overall, James Hagens, and junior center, Andre Gasseau. He shouldn't be relied upon as a key contributor so there's ample time for him to settle in. You still have to think he'll be there for 3-4 years considering his original developmental track had a gap year built in. So 4-5 years out is pretty reasonable for an NHL debut.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

And that's a fine pick to make at 30 in a weak draft as opposed to 12 in one of the strongest drafts the NHL has seen.

The thing to watch with Letourneau is how he performs with his timeline now sped up. He was committed to playing next season in the USHL and then the following at Boston College, but Will Smith's departure opened up a spot for Letourneau at BC.

Letourneau failed to register a point in either of his two USHL games this season and injury prevented him from playing any more. Is he ready for the jump without the USHL gap year? Odds are yes. Morgan Barron came out of the same program as Letourneau and went straight to college with 18 points in 33 games as a freshman. Letourneau, who more than doubled Barron's PHC numbers, would likely be insulated as a third-line center behind next year's presumptive first overall, James Hagens, and junior center, Andre Gasseau. He shouldn't be relied upon as a key contributor so there's ample time for him to settle in. You still have to think he'll be there for 3-4 years considering his original developmental track had a gap year built in. So 4-5 years out is pretty reasonable for an NHL debut.

Agree with it being a reasonable pick at 30. Thanks for the context. 

7 minutes ago, siddious said:

Yes but at 5’5” he’s so hard to hit 

...But he's "ELITE", Pete....Like Kakko's scouting report!

Elite, my fucking ball bag!  Who writes this shit?