• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2024 NHL Entry Draft — USNTDP or Die!

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/40453483/2024-nhl-draft-pick-tracker-analysis-32-teams-7-rounds-scouting-notes

'EJ Emery has the makings of an impactful defenseman who can anchor a second pairing. Emery is a perfect complementary piece to an elite offensive defenseman who needs a reliable partner to augment their game. Emery is a top transition defenseman, whose one-on-one defensive play stands out.'

'...Offensively, there is not a lot there. That isn't Emery's calling card. That is likely why the model doesn't project him to be more than a second-pairing defenseman.'

11 minutes ago, VegasRanger said:

I would have been happier if they drafted a Zamboni driver.

We took conesus #2 kakko one year and loook what happened… give it time lets

see what happens here 

4 minutes ago, siddious said:

We took conesus #2 kakko one year and loook what happened… give it time lets

see what happens here 

It's going to be awhile to see if there is anything there.  He has already said he is going to North Dakota U. next year.

22 minutes ago, VegasRanger said:

It's going to be awhile to see if there is anything there.  He has already said he is going to North Dakota U. next year.

30th pick bro they’re hardly ever nhl ready

6 hours ago, Flynn said:

Total failure tonight. 
Didn’t draft Celebrini and didn’t trade Trouba for Matthews. 

why do we bother? 

This team sucks and everything about it sucks. 

Even the toilet paper and the training facility sucks. 

• LMFAO 1
  • Bullseye 1

No issue w the pick. See how the kid develops. Even if he is a big stay at home defensemen, we need that.

My only misgiving is him saying he models his game after Miller. If that means he is big but doesn't use his size in a physical fashion....well I won't be thrilled. 

The US Dev program has been good to us. Hopefully in 3-4 years we've got a winner.

14 minutes ago, Dem said:

No issue w the pick. See how the kid develops. Even if he is a big stay at home defensemen, we need that.

My only misgiving is him saying he models his game after Miller. If that means he is big but doesn't use his size in a physical fashion....well I won't be thrilled. 

The US Dev program has been good to us. Hopefully in 3-4 years we've got a winner.

Yeah… let’s be patient with the 18 year old kid who has what appears to be the right attributes and tools, is in a good program and going to another one, and let him develop. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Dem said:

I think the comparison is really about his style.. seems to use his size and speed to close in on guys and has a good stick much like miller from what I’ve seen.

14 hours ago, fletch said:

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/40453483/2024-nhl-draft-pick-tracker-analysis-32-teams-7-rounds-scouting-notes

'EJ Emery has the makings of an impactful defenseman who can anchor a second pairing. Emery is a perfect complementary piece to an elite offensive defenseman who needs a reliable partner to augment their game. Emery is a top transition defenseman, whose one-on-one defensive play stands out.'

'...Offensively, there is not a lot there. That isn't Emery's calling card. That is likely why the model doesn't project him to be more than a second-pairing defenseman.'

If you get a 2nd pair Dman at 30th you hit a home run 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Pete said:

This team sucks and everything about it sucks. 

Even the toilet paper and the training facility sucks. 

Hear the parking situation at the practice facility is atrocious. Also, bottled water kept at unaccetaple 48 degrees. Additionally boards have not been cleaned of puck marks in several years. 

• LOL 1

13 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Hear the parking situation at the practice facility is atrocious. Also, bottled water kept at unaccetaple 48 degrees. Additionally boards have not been cleaned of puck marks in several years. 

They're so dumb. That's why they have 2 cups ever duh. 

23 minutes ago, Mistercosmic said:

I should learn to read...

Raoul Boilard? I hope Sam Rosen never has to pronounce that name live. 

Need my own private bookie to wager if Sam calls him Raoul Mondesi. 

• LMFAO 1

Analysis: Emery is a player with a lot of pro traits. He’s 6 feet 3 inches and skates very well being one of the more athletic defensemen in his age group. He is strong on gaps and retrievals, plays hard on his checks and has the potential to make a lot of NHL stops. He can attack with his feet and often jumps up into the rush. Emery’s offense is a question, as his pure production won’t excite you with zero goals on the season. I think the first-pass offense in his game is good enough to play a regular shift in the league, but it will be the main part of his game he will need to prove versus better players.

Pick grade: B

Thoughts on the pick: Emery is a Rangers type of defenseman. He is a big, highly mobile defender who plays hard and can make a lot of stops. He has first-pass offense, but he also had zero goals this season, so offensive expectations aren’t that high. He can project to play in the NHL as a No. 4/5 D whom coaches love, and his elite athleticism gives him some upside to be better than that if he really hits.

Analysis: Boilard took major steps forward this season after being an average BCHL forward in his 16-year-old season. He was an important part of a top QMJHL team this season. Boilard has a lot of tools that could translate to the NHL. He’s a good-sized center who skates quite well. He has a technically smooth stride with the quickness to skate at the NHL level. His pure point totals, especially in the Q, don’t jump out, but he has legit offensive talents. Boilard has strong hands and offensive IQ. He can make plays on the move and finish from range. I don’t think he’s overly physical and can play a bit too much on the outside. There are clearly components of an NHL forward in his game, but exactly where he would fit in a lineup is unclear.

Analysis: Aspinall’s pure numbers with Flint this season won’t wow you, but he was an important player for them and has some intriguing traits for the NHL. He’s massive and has strong individual skill, especially for a big man. Aspinall isn’t overly physical, but he creates a lot of offense around the net and shows good finishing touch in tight. He can make enough plays with the puck even though I wouldn’t call him a play driver by any means. The biggest concern in his game is his skating. He’s quite slow by NHL standards, although with his frame if he finds a way to score even at decent levels he has a chance to play a lot of games.

The Rangers’ main pick of the draft was EJ Emery, a 6-foot-3 defenseman out of the U.S. National Team Development Program. He prides himself as a strong defensive defenseman, and though the Rangers don’t see him as someone who will ever run a top NHL power play, they believe he could add more offense to his game. He had six assists in seven games for the U.S. at under-18 world championships.

New York didn’t have another pick until the fourth round. It then traded up to select center Raoul Boilard at No. 119. John Lilley, the Rangers director of player personnel and amateur scouting, referred to Boilard as a natural centerman who can play a two-way game. The Rangers took a 6-foot-6 winger, Nathan Aspinall, in the fifth round, continuing the Rangers’ recent trend of taking giant wings with late-round picks (see Matt Rempe and Adam Edstrom). The Rangers rounded out their draft with Rico Gredig in the sixth round.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5597302/2024/06/28/rangers-nhl-draft-picks-grades-2024/