• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jake Guentzel Is a Rangers' Target in Free Agency

Chris Drury wasn’t able to land Jake Guentzel at the trade deadline this season. The Rangers general manager might try to make it happen again when the free-agent market opens on Monday.

League sources have indicated that the 29-year-old Guentzel is a Rangers’ target in free agency despite the former Penguins and Hurricanes wing hoping to command around $8.5 million annually on a seven-year deal when the market opens.

Those same sources, who were granted anonymity so they could speak freely about the process, indicated that the talk around Guentzel and the Canucks is very real, and colleague Pierre LeBrun reported the Hurricanes still haven’t given up on re-signing him. Those outside wrinkles for the Rangers come in addition to their internal one — how to fit Guentzel into their tight salary-cap window.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5590597/2024/06/25/rangers-guentzel-kane-shesterkin/

2 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

He’s a best case scenario but one that can’t happen without other pieces moving out before Monday.

Indeed. This is why Kane is more likely unless Drury has some plans to move more money.

More money still has to move out for that to happen. After giving Lindgren/Schneider their rough estimates, the Rangers have about 5.4 million in space with 1RW to fill.

Cutting Kakko and backfilling with Berard or Othmann makes it 7 million. Still need more so that doesn’t make sense to do strictly from a cap saving perspective.

All signs point to 1 of Trouba, Kreider, Panarin, or Zib on the move. Probably Trouba.

I know some may disagree here. But with this talk about Zegras too, I do wonder if the Rangers do get no bites on Trouba, if maybe they would deal Zibanejad and try and acquire Zegras. They may view it almost like what they did once with Brassard for Mika. Dealing an older center for a younger one.

I highly, highly doubt that. I’m just trying to keep discussion, really.

If any of the big name guys go, it should likely be Trouba.

3 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I know some may disagree here. But with this talk about Zegras too, I do wonder if the Rangers do get no bites on Trouba, if maybe they would deal Zibanejad and try and acquire Zegras. They may view it almost like what they did once with Brassard for Mika. Dealing an older center for a younger one.

Wow Richie why do you hate Zib? You might as well quit watching the team!

• LMFAO 2

41 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Wow Richie why do you hate Zib? You might as well quit watching the team!

No, you should quit watching because you hate all the players and everything about the team LOL.

47 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

The question would be why Mika is waiving to go to Anaheim, and why they need him if they don't need Zegras? He was on the wing and they have two top six centers.

• Applause 1

1 minute ago, Pete said:

The question would be why Mika is waiving to go to Anaheim, and why they need him if they don't need Zegras? He was on the wing and they have two top six centers.

I would assume two separate deals; Mika to one place for assets and then those assets for Zegras?

Just brainstorming.

I know it’s stupid unlikely.

2 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I would assume two separate deals; Mika to one place for assets and then those assets for Zegras?

Just brainstorming.

I know it’s stupid unlikely.

Yea it's as complex and unlikely as dealing Panarin. 

• LMFAO 1

We literally have no room. I’ve posted this a thousand times: this season is not where the math doesn’t work out, it’s next season where you are due Igor, laf, and miller large raises. A long guentzel  deal means one or more of those guys are leaving unless we’ve found a way to ship out some of the NMCs here not named goodrow. 

Getting Guentzel would mean 1 of Trouba/Zibanejad/Kreider would be gone this off-season. And of the 2 remaining, one likely would be gone next summer. Or Panarin. Just don’t see it. Not without some seriously shrewd moves.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Believe 1

29 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Getting Guentzel would mean 1 of Trouba/Zibanejad/Kreider would be gone this off-season. And of the 2 remaining, one likely would be gone next summer. Or Panarin. Just don’t see it. Not without some seriously shrewd moves.

If they don't win in 2 years they're blowing it up anyway.

Would you rather one good shot or a couple decent cracks?