• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jake Guentzel Is a Rangers' Target in Free Agency

53 minutes ago, Valriera said:

We literally have no room. I’ve posted this a thousand times: this season is not where the math doesn’t work out, it’s next season where you are due Igor, laf, and miller large raises. A long guentzel  deal means one or more of those guys are leaving unless we’ve found a way to ship out some of the NMCs here not named goodrow. 

If Panarin can be traded now, there's a path forward for it. After next season, Drury can dump Trouba for even more space to accommodate everyone with ease. There's going to be a lot of youth entering the lineup in '25-'26. Perreault will probably be here. Othmann and Berard should both be ready to contribute. Sykora possibly, too. The wave is coming.

Edited by BrooksBurner

32 minutes ago, torontonyr said:

If they don't win in 2 years they're blowing it up anyway.

Would you rather one good shot or a couple decent cracks? 

Believe me, I acknowledge the window. And man, even with his size, Guentzel really is able to find his way to the net front often and find goals.

Just extremely tight.

7 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Kind of sounds like the Rangers.

I don't think it sounds like the Rangers. The Rangers have few mid-round picks for the next few seasons. I don't see them giving one up for his rights. 

Possible he doesn’t want to stay in Carolina? Or possible he wants to see a bidding war for his services?

Could have a few suitors. Tampa has room now with Sergachev gone. Vancouver has been a fan of his. Carolina obviously. I still don’t see a path for the Rangers even if we do deal Trouba, but who knows.

5 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Guentzel adds goals. But, losing Stamkos, it is really just status quo IMO. I kind of see this as a lateral move. And to remove Sergachev for it? I don’t know. Odd moves.

Perhaps that injury to Sergachev has long-term implications that Tampa doesn’t like?

Maybe they feel like having had that injury will shave away the very top bit of his ability?

Obviously he came back late last year and is medically cleared and passed the physical involved with the trade.

But perhaps they feel he’s damaged goods in some way?

Who knows?

Tampa has been a superbly run franchise for quite some time. I trust their judgement, even if they may be trending in the opposite direction a bit. They have to know something. I wonder if Stamkos winds up here or Detroit, depending on what happens with Kane.

Yeah, really. Carolina is annoying anyway, and having him there for the foreseeable future would've been a bitch. I am surprised they didn't retain him, though. I think they do have quite a bit of players hitting the market, though.

3 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

Perhaps that injury to Sergachev has long-term implications that Tampa doesn’t like?

Maybe they feel like having had that injury will shave away the very top bit of his ability?

Obviously he came back late last year and is medically cleared and passed the physical involved with the trade.

But perhaps they feel he’s damaged goods in some way?

Who knows?

Maybe Sergachev wanted out and the granted his wish. I could see him wanting a chance at being a 1D and knowing that he would never get out from under Hedman. The return of McDonagh crowds the field further. Maybe he's a secret Mormon?

1 hour ago, RodrigueGabriel said:

Maybe Sergachev wanted out and the granted his wish. I could see him wanting a chance at being a 1D and knowing that he would never get out from under Hedman. The return of McDonagh crowds the field further. Maybe he's a secret Mormon?

I doubt he’s a Mormon… never met a Russian Mormon… but I suppose anything is possible!

Your take though on him maybe wanting to spread his wings and cut his own path at this point does maybe make some sense. That’s a possibility.