• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Draisaitl Wants Time to See How Things Play Out With Contract Talks

I know we talk about summer 2026 for McDavid for fun, but I don’t see him or Draisaitl ever going anywhere else to be honest. This is Crosby and Malkin. Yeah, Crosby and Malkin were fortunate to snag a Cup early on in their careers when they were 21/22, but they didn’t win again until they were 29/30. These guys are in their prime years and Edmonton has been eliminated by the eventual Cup winner 3 years in row. They look as close as ever. They’d be stupid to not keep doing everything in their power to keep taking cracks at it with them.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I know we talk about summer 2026 for McDavid for fun, but I don’t see him or Draisaitl ever going anywhere else to be honest. This is Crosby and Malkin. Yeah, Crosby and Malkin were fortunate to snag a Cup early on in their careers when they were 21/22, but they didn’t win again until they were 29/30. These guys are in their prime years and Edmonton has been eliminated by the eventual Cup winner 3 years in row. They look as close as ever. They’d be stupid to not keep doing everything in their power to keep taking cracks at it with them.

Crosby and Malkin both took less than they could have gotten on the open market. 

If these two don't, it's kind of hard to see them winning. 

• Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Crosby and Malkin both took less than they could have gotten on the open market. 

Also true, especially with the significant Nurse overpayment on the books

• Bullseye 1

I can never blame a player for trying to get paid the maximum amount. It's not like these guys are making baseball or basketball dollars. But it's also not been a recipe for winning lately

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

You're also assuming that's Draisaitl's primary motivation. I'm getting the feeling that he's going to test the market and go someplace where he's The Man, even if they're not as close to the SC as Edmonton. 

Edited by Karan

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Same I don't think either leaves in their prime, down the road maybe because there's always that one org who will be there to parade them in often too little too late.

I guess CF is wrong they show he's got another year on his deal so there's not too much urgency to get anything done in the short term.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/oilers

Edited by Scott

2 minutes ago, Karan said:

You're also assuming that's Draisaitl's primary motivation. I'm getting the feeling that he's going to test the market and go someplace where he's The Man, even if they're not as close to the SC as Edmonton. 

That's so interesting that you feel that way, being so close to the coverage of that team. A lot of the quotes I'm seeing show that they are pretty close friends and he considers McDavid the best player ever and loves playing with him. 

You don't see too many lifers anymore in any sport. I could maybe see McDavid stay in Edmonton his whole career, but not so sure. I don't get the Crosby or Ovechkin, or even Stamkos vibes from him that he wouldn't rule out leaving. There were rumblings, I think, of Crosby not being happy with the status of the Penguins. Even if that was the case, I don't see him leaving. But again, in this day and age, nothing should surprise anyone.

15 hours ago, Pete said:

That's cool, but you've never been to Edmonton I'm gonna guess. 

2 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Is Edmonton basically Winnipeg lite? lol

No, Winnipeg is a village compared to Edmonton lol Nonetheless, Edmonton as a city is far from a top destination for a top-tier pro athlete.

On 6/26/2024 at 4:57 PM, BrooksBurner said:

Yeah.  As long as the Oilers remain serious Cup contenders, McDavid and Draisati will stay with them.

1 hour ago, torontonyr said:

"I can't ever see X player leaving Edmonton"

People who've never been to Edmonton 

But McDavid has a heated driveway!

6 hours ago, Pete said:

But McDavid has a heated driveway!

It doesn't snow much in Edmonton. It's too cold. They use leaf blowers to do driveways almost exclusively.

Multiple times in a winter I could bank on days off simply due to cold. Like, the crews weren't working, sure, but I would get to the office and you couldn't even open it up as the doors were sealed shut with ice. I had zero client expectations from Xmas to Easter. We just played darts for 2 hours then went home. I saw frost in roads as deep as 18'. Their water/sewer infrastructure is all 12' minimum. 

It's one of the worst places on earth. Still better than Saskatchewan, though.

Sorry Karan, we love you.

• LOL 1
  • LMFAO 1

4 hours ago, Dunny said:

It doesn't snow much in Edmonton. It's too cold. They use leaf blowers to do driveways almost exclusively.

Multiple times in a winter I could bank on days off simply due to cold. Like, the crews weren't working, sure, but I would get to the office and you couldn't even open it up as the doors were sealed shut with ice. I had zero client expectations from Xmas to Easter. We just played darts for 2 hours then went home. I saw frost in roads as deep as 18'. Their water/sewer infrastructure is all 12' minimum. 

It's one of the worst places on earth. Still better than Saskatchewan, though.

Sorry Karan, we love you.

That sounds like my hell. I hate the cold.