• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Draft D EJ Emery in 1st Round (30th Pick)

Drew a Penalty

I don't know enough about him, but I'll just say that the Black Book quotes don't paint a great picture. Seems like a project pick based on his athleticism.

“I’ll put on the GM hat for a minute. If I need to find a 15-point defensive d-man, I can probably do it in a trade or via free agency a lot easier than finding an impact skill player on an entry-level deal. Absolutely no chance I’d spend a top 50 pick here.” HP Scout, Michael Farkas

My eyes seemed to be pulled to him to constantly see him turning over pucks. Not a fan.” - NHL Scout, November 2023

“I think he competes and defends well but he can’t move pucks so that keeps you out of the NHL.” - NHL Scout, December 2023

“He’s a great culture guy.” - NHL Scout, March 2024

“Same type of player as Danford in Oshawa. I’ll take Danford.” - NHL Scout, April 2024

He couldn’t process the game fast enough on bigger international ice so I’m officially done with him.” - NHL Scout, May 2024

When Dmen struggle to retrieve pucks my spidey senses get elevated. It’s not a weakness I see get fixed too often. If he plays I think it will be as a third paring guy who gives an honest effort.” - HP Scout, Mark Edwards, March 2024

“I’m told that he’s staying in Plymouth all summer to train.” - HP Scout, Mark Edwards, June 2024

• Drew a Penalty changed the title to Rangers Draft [D] Eric Emery With 1st Round (30th Pick)

He is a smooth and clever skater. He uses his skating to close down on his direct opponent in an instant. This is also useful to close down gaps that are forming in the defensive structure, allowing him to quickly and smoothly shut down plays from developing.

Transitionally he won’t be the guy who just skates the puck up ice but is more so the one creating the breakout pass. Finding the open ice and being composed under pressure. Here his skating and strong edges allows him to get away from pressure, in order to control the pace of the game and breakout.

His hockey sense is great and he sees the game at a high level. It’s rare to see him lose the puck or make a mistake on the blueline, so if he can apply this to passes that open up the ice, his numbers would jump up. The same can be said about his ability to step up in the play with a pinch.

This is where EJ Emery truly shines. He is the best defensive player in the draft by quite a long way. His ability to read the situation and make the perfect play is second to none. His gap control is elite, which helps him defend the rush.

Sounds like a project player. But IMO your defensemen shoukdmbe able

to play defense first and foremost so I dunno if I hate this pick tbh. 

No idea what this website is but they had a scouting report 

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2024/06/25/ej-emery-scouting-report-2024-nhl-draft-25/#:~:text=Defensive Game%3A,helps him defend the rush.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/40453483/2024-nhl-draft-pick-tracker-analysis-32-teams-7-rounds-scouting-notes

'EJ Emery has the makings of an impactful defenseman who can anchor a second pairing. Emery is a perfect complementary piece to an elite offensive defenseman who needs a reliable partner to augment their game. Emery is a top transition defenseman, whose one-on-one defensive play stands out.'

'...Offensively, there is not a lot there. That isn't Emery's calling card. That is likely why the model doesn't project him to be more than a second-pairing defenseman.'

EJ Emery, USNTDP

It's no secret that the Rangers love U.S. National Team Development Program products, having opened last year's draft by selecting a pair in Perreault and Drew Fortescue. Emery would probably crack the top 20 if he'd produced more than 16 assists in 61 games last season − and he still might. But if by chance he's available at No. 30, then he feels like a slam-dunk pick.

His athletic upside is enticing after excelling at the scouting combine, but the 6-foot-3, 185-pounder has the on-ice results to back it up. He was widely considered the best defensive defenseman on Team USA's under-18 squad, using his long wingspan, high-end skating and ability to read plays to swallow up opposing forwards. The University of North Dakota commit has likened his game to current New York defenseman K'Andre Miller, with the main difference being Emery's right-handed shot.

from vince

March 30, 2006 | 6′ 3″ | 185 pounds

Tier: Middle of the lineup player

Player comparable: Dylan Samberg

Analysis: Emery is a player with a lot of pro traits. He’s 6-foot-3 and skates very well being one of the more athletic defensemen in his age group. He is strong on gaps and retrievals, plays hard on his checks and has the potential to make a lot of NHL stops. He can attack with his feet and often jumps up into the rush. Emery’s offense is a question, as his pure production won’t excite you with zero goals on the season. I think the first pass offense in his game is good enough to play a regular shift in the league, but it will be the main part of his game he will need to prove versus better players.

Pick grade: B

Thoughts on the pick: Emery is a Rangers type of defenseman. He is a big, highly mobile defender who plays hard and can make a lot of stops. He has first-pass offense, but he also had zero goals this season, so offensive expectations aren’t that high. He can project to play in the NHL as a 4/5 D whom coaches love, and his elite athleticism gives him some upside to be better than that if he really hits.

Pronman.

Hard to get overly excited, but I guess if he pans out as a super athletic, physical 2nd pair shut down guy that's useful.

Wheeler:

Emery’s a perfect fit with the Rangers and was a player I’d talked about in mocks with them for that reason. He models himself after K’Andre Miller, and they love the long, mobile types who can really defend (see also: Braden Schneider). They’d also used their first pick in the last seven drafts on a forward, so it was time to add a defenseman. His skating (Emery is one of the best in the draft) and length give him a very high defensive upside, and he’s still got untapped offense in my opinion (plus a ton of room to add muscle).

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5588459/2024/06/28/nhl-draft-first-round-winners-losers-2024?source=user-shared-article

Edited by Pete

7 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

I don't know enough about him, but I'll just say that the Black Book quotes don't paint a great picture. Seems like a project pick based on his athleticism.

I don't know who any of these guys are, and I don't know who's right or wrong, but a lot of the usual suspects in the mainstream sports media are saying the complete opposite. 

It just feels like at the end of the day what they say about a player on the day he's drafted and what that player turns into in 3-5 years Don't always jive. 

Ice Hockey Sport GIF by NHL

Edited by Pete

26 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't think you were getting anything better at 30 in this draft. 

Yeah, it’s a total crapshoot at that point.

I think personally, from a philosophy angle, I’d rather take a swing at someone with offensive upside in the late 1st but having a strong opinion either way makes little sense.

51 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't know who any of these guys are, and I don't know who's right or wrong, but a lot of the usual suspects in the mainstream sports media are saying the complete opposite. 

It just feels like at the end of the day what they say about a player on the day he's drafted and what that player turns into in 3-5 years Don't always jive. 

#cryingemoji

2 hours ago, Gravesy said:

Yeah, it’s a total crapshoot at that point.

I think personally, from a philosophy angle, I’d rather take a swing at someone with offensive upside in the late 1st but having a strong opinion either way makes little sense.

I'm fine with it because the org is light on D and at 30 picking a safe, unsexy pick who has a greater potential to see the NHL is more important than a boom or bust forward. 

• Bullseye 1

Didn't expect much at #30, but at least we got a defenseman with some possible potetial.  After seeing what the scouts wrote about Kakko, I don't believe anyone anymore when it comes to the draft.

He's a lottery ticket like a lot of the others....we'll see how he does.

4 hours ago, Pete said:

I was telling a friend the other day a great idea for a sports show is to replay the draft like 5 years later and fact check all the commentary about the picks 🤣

it really is a crap shoot 

6 minutes ago, siddious said:

I was telling a friend the other day a great idea for a sports show is to replay the draft like 5 years later and fact check all the commentary about the picks 🤣

it really is a crap shoot 

I don't think the draft has changed it's just the media and content around it. I saw some tweets the other day, forgot the account, that basically listed the probability of some of these players to become a regular NHLer or an NHL superstar. It's ridiculous as no one can know that.

And then when they don't become the player as advertised, fans hate the player. Doesn't make a lot of sense. I found myself upset with Lafreniere for not being what we were told. What did he ever do to me? 

He and Kakko taught me a lot about just not caring where guys were drafted. Some will make it, others won't. They're all like popcorn kernels in the pot...Some pop faster than others, some don't pop at all.

• Drew a Penalty changed the title to Rangers Draft [D] Eric Emery With 1st Round (30th Pick)

We talked to one league scout who loved the EJ Emery pick for the Rangers at No. 30. That person praised his skating ability and said “he’ll play 15 years in the league.” That’s obviously just one perspective, but the Rangers certainly hope it is correct. 

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5604224/2024/06/29/ny-rangers-jacob-trouba-trade/?source=user_shared_article

• Drew a Penalty changed the title to Rangers Draft D EJ Emery in 1st Round (30th Pick)