• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire Reilly Smith (25% Retained) from PIT for 2nd, 5th Round Picks

3 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Guy's a winner, $5M for one more year. Was considered a "down season" putting up 40 points. Better option than most of the FAs on the market, especially with the cost and term.

that depends on what we're sending the division rival

• Phil changed the title to Rangers Acquire Reilly Smith from PIT for 2nd, 5th Round Picks

Having him and Kakko is redundant. You’d be hoping one finds a home with Zibanejad and Kreider. Both are more suited for 3rd line duties.

If Kakko is still here, I don’t love this. I’ve always liked Smith, but I hope this is a move for the 3rd line and not the Top-6, because this also isn’t it.

8 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

lol yikes

I mean, it's whatever. Feels lateral. He just exists. It's one year. It works or it doesn't. Oh well.

I don’t know why they didn’t just communicate to Kane they’d be willing to go to $6 Million on a 1-year deal if this was the alternative.

Again, I like the player. But not in the Top-6. He adds value to a 3rd line. If this means we flip Kakko in a trade, fine. But having both here makes no sense because you need to hope 1 can tee off this year and I just don’t see it.

I don’t know what the thought process is here from Drury.

1 minute ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I don’t know why they didn’t just communicate to Kane they’d be willing to go to $6 Million on a 1-year deal if this was the alternative.

Again, I like the player. But not in the Top-6. He adds value to a 3rd line. If this means we flip Kakko in a trade, fine. But having both here makes no sense because you need to hope 1 can tee off this year and I just don’t see it.

I mean...The players have to want to come here. If Kane is already in DET then why is he coming to NY for the same money?

There seems to be this idea that GMs can just pick players off the shelves, the player has to want it, too.

3 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

they're gonna give Kakko another run at top line winger to start the season and then inevitably trade for a stop gap RW again at the deadline.