• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire Reilly Smith (25% Retained) from PIT for 2nd, 5th Round Picks

• Phil changed the title to Rangers Acquire Reilly Smith (25% Retained) from PIT for 2nd, 5th Round Picks
3 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Not a bad acquisition. Does this first line winger Kappo Kakko to start the year? lol

It shouldn’t be either.

To me, this is Kakkos replacement. I’d have to imagine they have him moving elsewhere. I can’t imagine going into next year relying on one of these 2 to overperform expectation and play in a Top-6 role; in Kakkos spot, a place he hasn’t been able to nail down with 2 players he hasn’t played well with.

• Like 1

Just now, RichieNextel305 said:

It shouldn’t be either.

To me, this is Kakkos replacement. I’d have to imagine they have him moving elsewhere. I can’t imagine going into next year relying on one of these 2 to overperform expectation and play in a Top-6 role; in Kakkos spot, a place he hasn’t been able to nail down with 2 players he hasn’t played well with.

Yeah, because it seems kind of like more of the same, really. I'd rather have Reilly personally at this point.

18 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah, because it seems kind of like more of the same, really. I'd rather have Reilly personally at this point.

If the plan is really to swap out Kaako through a trade and bring in a Tarasenko(something similar, but I'm not really sure who is left); I'm not a fan of this move.

Given the cap gymnastics involved, I think Kaako @ 2.4 million > Smith @ 3.75 million in that we are still going to need to replace that 3rd line RW next season. I get the whole "win now" mentality, I just don't see it as that much of an upgrade.

If Kaako flops this season than we have a dependable 3rd line RW under cost control; if he comes close to realizing his potential and we can't resign him, he is easy enough to flip for assets as he will still be RFA after this season.   

Just now, Flynn said:

You know, some clubs actually use draft picks to draft useful players. The Rangers throw 2nd round picks around like pocket trash. 

Yea, it's disappointing that they don't have a 2nd for 5 seasons. Limits what they can do at the deadline, too.

But when they start trading the core they can get those picks back.

Just now, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

If the plan is really to swap out Kaako through a trade and bring in a Tarasenko(something similar, but I'm not really sure who is left); I'm not a fan of this move.

Given the cap gymnastics involved, I think Kaako @ 2.4 million > Smith @ 3.75 million in that we are still going to need to replace that 3rd line RW next season. I get the whole "win now" mentality, I just don't see it as that much of an upgrade.

If Kaako flops this season than we have a dependable 3rd line RW under cost control; if he comes close to realizing his potential and we can't resign him, he is easy enough to flip for assets as he will still be RFA after this season.   

I think the idea for some is that Smith take Kakko's spot on the 3rd line, but I don't think that's what's going to happen.

Pretty sure Kakko is gonna be here.

Just now, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

Yeah, Kakko coming back at that dollar amount is very reasonable. Unless Drury really finds someone he wants to trade for, he'll probably part with him. He has said they are giving him a chance next year, so we shall see.

3 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Just gather RW options for 1RW and see if anything sticks. What else can they do?

Basically this. Especially with the free agent market barren at this point.

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Awaiting on details but deal is done. Smith is coming in. I would hope it would be for a 3rd line role.

Probably line 1 and most definitely to take Goodrow's role on the PK.

11 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Just gather RW options for 1RW and see if anything sticks. What else can they do?

That’s fine, but it’s the first day of free agency man. A lot of options were available that did not require flushing a 2nd round pick.

I'm not excited either, but Drury is doing what he can. All of the big guys are off the board because those teams are in better shape cap-wise than we are. Plus, maybe some jus6t don't want to come here. Not to mention there's the $8 million per year elephant in the room.

16 minutes ago, Blueshirts1926 said:

Not impressed

Sam Carrick

Reilly Smith 

Mike Reilly

Drury is a moron and If you look at Laviolettes track record after the first year Rangers we be a first round exit at best!

But let’s give Igor 12 million !

please tell us what else could’ve been done?

• Bullseye 1
  • Applause 1

16 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

That’s fine, but it’s the first day of free agency man. A lot of options were available that did not require flushing a 2nd round pick.

Yea and all the other options required "flushing" more money and more years. 

26 minutes ago, Phil said:

Basically this. Especially with the free agent market barren at this point.

Not just barren, but more overpriced than any in recent memory.

I will say this: the fact that the Rangers seem to be very cautious with their money and not handing out contracts to guys who could have helped but required term, says all you need to know about the fact that they likely intend to extend Shesterkin and not trade him.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

please tell us what else could’ve been done?

Let’s see 6 years older, overall 9 more points and 3 million more than Roslovic and gave up a 2nd rounder yeah great move. Drury is an idiot 

Edited by Blueshirts1926
  • Like 1