• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Among Teams Showing Interest in Vladimir Tarasenko

1 minute ago, Br4d said:

Reilly Smith is about to become the Rangers best opening day RW since Buch left town.

I'm actually moderately interested to see where Lavi is going to slot him.

To the right of Kreider and Zibanejad. As of right now, today, you can take that to the bank IMO.

Panarin-Trocheck-Lafreniere

Kreider-Zibanejad-Smith

What about what you've seen from Laviolette suggests he's going to play 4D chess here when the puzzle is this simple to solve?

• Like 1

Just now, Phil said:

Moves to the right, records career-best season and scores 28 goals.

"we need to move him back to the left."

Yeah, I'm good on that.

He was going to have that season once he got a couple of pro hockey players on his line.  That they were really good players did not hurt.

He got some heat last fall when he said the difference in his play was that he was playing with better players (a not so subtle dig at Kakko) but he was telling us the truth.

He carries the puck much better on the left and the Rangers should find a way to get him back there.

Just now, Br4d said:

He was going to have that season once he got a couple of pro hockey players on his line.  That they were really good players did not hurt.

He got some heat last fall when he said the difference in his play was that he was playing with better players (a not so subtle dig at Kakko) but he was telling us the truth.

He carries the puck much better on the left and the Rangers should find a way to get him back there.

I'll take unfalsifiable opinions for $2,000, Alex.

I'll say again: career-best season, undeniable chemistry with Panarin and Trocheck, and scored just shy of 30 goals at even strength. I'm not moving him, and I'm not touching that line, either.

• Like 1
  • Believe 1

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

I'll take unfalsifiable opinions for $2,000, Alex.

I'll say again: career-best season, undeniable chemistry with Panarin and Trocheck, and scored just shy of 30 goals at even strength. I'm not moving him, and I'm not touching that line, either.

I'll add "He carries the puck much better on his left" to "random scouting analysis out of thin air that can't be verified", and that's a daily double. 

The only benefit of moving him off that line would be to see how he does away from Panarin. 

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yeah, I'm good on that.

Now imagine what he can do in his natural position. His success had zero to do with switching him to his off wing for the 3rd or 4th time.

5 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Now imagine what he can do in his natural position. His success had zero to do with switching him to his off wing for the 3rd or 4th time.

Now imagine what he can do staying right where he found career success and scored just shy of 30 goals without PP time, on the line that carried the Rangers to the Presidents Trophy.

I'm with you on all kinds of topics regarding fixing the Rangers, because they're demonstrably broken or flawed. This ain't one of 'em.

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'll add "He carries the puck much better on his left" to "random scouting analysis out of thin air that can't be verified", and that's a daily double. 

The only benefit of moving him off that line would be to see how he does away from Panarin. 

Or if you absolutely have to split them to spread the offense, I agree. But I'm not doing this out of the gate. Not when there's a very natural opening night combination to try first.

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Or if you absolutely have to split them to spread the offense, I agree. But I'm not doing this out of the gate. Not when there's a very natural opening night combination to try first.

I would think it would be incredibly foolish to take a player who:

• just had a career year...
  • after switching sides...
  • and finally having continuity with role and line mates...
  • When coincidentally those line mates also both had career years and credited each other and continuity with the reason for it...

And change anything about what's happening. 

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Just now, Pete said:

I would think it would be incredibly foolish to take a player who:

• just had a career year...
  • after switching sides...
  • and finally having continuity with role and line mates...
  • When coincidentally those line mates also both had career years and credited each other and continuity with the reason for it...

And change anything about what's happening. 

batman-dark.gif

• Eyeballs 1

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

Now imagine what he can do staying right where he found career success and scored just shy of 30 goals without PP time, on the line that carried the Rangers to the Presidents Trophy.

I'm with you on all kinds of topics regarding fixing the Rangers, because they're demonstrably broken or flawed. This ain't one of 'em.

No you did not just use the “without PP time” line on me about Lafreniere. FOH! Lol

I could see this potentially going either way, so I’m not going to fight it much. Considering a natural LW in Perreault will probably make the team out of the gate on the left in 2025, unless a whole bunch of people are wrong about him ala Kakko, it makes sense from an organizational perspective to keep Lafreniere where he is for now. My gut just tells me he’s your franchise player in 2 more years, put him in his max potential position.

36 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

No you did not just use the “without PP time” line on me about Lafreniere. FOH! Lol

I could see this potentially going either way, so I’m not going to fight it much. Considering a natural LW in Perreault will probably make the team out of the gate on the left in 2025, unless a whole bunch of people are wrong about him ala Kakko, it makes sense from an organizational perspective to keep Lafreniere where he is for now. My gut just tells me he’s your franchise player in 2 more years, put him in his max potential position.

7f1.gif

• LMFAO 1
  • Applause 1

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Yeah, I'm good on that.

or.....

look how he did playing on his off-wing.  Imagine if he played on his natural position

16 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

or.....

look how he did playing on his off-wing.  Imagine if he played on his natural position

You can structure the argument any way you like. No matter what way you cut it, you're arguing to change the dymanic of what worked for what we don't know will work, or work nearly as well.

Don't fix what isn't broken.

• ALEXIS! 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

15 hours ago, Jdog99 said:

Small sample size,  but what we saw from laf in the playoffs was someone who could carry a line, without panarin-tro.

But he can't carry Kakko because Kakko is one of the least interactive players on the Rangers.  Having him on your line does nothing for your chances to score because Kakko can't make the quick contested passes.

Tarasenko is probably the last guy available that it's legit help at the position they need, and who can be had at a reasonable amount. Getting Smith is fine, and he wouldn't necessarily be bad on the top line. I'd rather he be on the third with Chytil and Cuylle or something.

23 minutes ago, Br4d said:

But he can't carry Kakko because Kakko is one of the least interactive players on the Rangers.  Having him on your line does nothing for your chances to score because Kakko can't make the quick contested passes.

He is so ego centric....he just likes to face the boards and watch his reflection. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

Tarasenko is probably the last guy available that it's legit help at the position they need, and who can be had at a reasonable amount. Getting Smith is fine, and he wouldn't necessarily be bad on the top line. I'd rather he be on the third with Chytil and Cuylle or something.

Your spot on. He's the get. Drury should be offering him as much as possible on a two year to get him here. 4.5 mil/2years will sure up our RW for the foreseeable future of this current squad. Fingers crossed. I'll feel very good about our UFA additions if we add Tarasenko. Without him, I'm not sure where we go.

Just now, jsm7302 said:

Your spot on. He's the get. Drury should be offering him as much as possible on a two year to get him here. 4.5 mil/2years will sure up our RW for the foreseeable future of this current squad. Fingers crossed. I'll feel very good about our UFA additions if we add Tarasenko. Without him, I'm not sure where we go.

It wasn't a great first day of free agency for Drury, but if he can bring him back, I'll feel a little bit better about things. Not only can he still produce, but he's already shown to be a pretty good fit here, even if he may be on the decline a bit. It's definitely something that needs to be explored.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

Does that leave enough for Lindgren and Schneider?

The fact that Tarasenko is one of the only "big ticket" free agents left along with the reports that the Rangers were interested gives me optimism that Drury is still trying to move things around to make this work.

Am I setting myself up for disappointment?

1 minute ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

The fact that Tarasenko is one of the only "big ticket" free agents left along with the reports that the Rangers were interested gives me optimism that Drury is still trying to move things around to make this work.

Am I setting myself up for disappointment?

Rule of thumb, Muddy:

Don't set your expectations too high, and you'll never be disappointed with the Rangers!  😃

8 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Rule of thumb, Muddy:

Don't set your expectations too high, and you'll never be disappointed with the Rangers!  😃

I’d like to contest this philosophy 

• Cheers 1