• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Among Teams Showing Interest in Vladimir Tarasenko

They really can't afford him without shipping out a kakko (assuming trouble is staying)

I'd rather them try to bundle a Kakko and pull Vatrano out of Anaheim. It would be the most chemistry like solution for kreider and ziby, ends the kakko experiment, and slots Reilly down a bit more considering his age.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Keirik said:

They really can't afford him without shipping out a kakko (assuming trouble is staying)

I'd rather them try to bundle a Kakko and pull Vatrano out of Anaheim. It would be the most chemistry like solution for kreider and ziby, ends the kakko experiment, and slots Reilly down a bit more considering his age.

They really should have done that this past season, and packaged their first round pick as well. That was the time to go all in there.

11 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I would do that in a NY minute if I thought we could realistically swap them 1 for 1(we can't). To me the issue is just finding someone who can play there the next 2 seasons until the current window officially closes.

15 minutes ago, Keirik said:

From your laptop keys to God's ear. Kakko and also Chytil are passengers. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Not anymore. He’s a Red Wing as of 15 min ago

Told you that I was setting myself up for disappointment!

Just don't understand the thought process. Looking at the Rangers needs, in what universe is Reilly Smith > Vladamir Tarasenko + 2nd Round pick? 

Edited by MuddyInTheMiddle

Posted (edited)

No other way around it: this has been a horrendous start to an important off-season. There are no difference makers left on the blue line and no more left up front now either. Things can change. But this has been a very sad, very lousy start. Very disappointing.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

13 minutes ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

Just don't understand the thought process. Looking at the Rangers needs, in what universe is Reilly Smith > Vladamir Tarasenko + 2nd Round pick? 

Chris Drury’s

• LOL 1
  • Bullseye 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

They were never going to go two years for anybody because they don't have the cap room. They have a lot of people to pay next summer.

Some of the same people not you) who want to pay Lafreniere 8-10m and Shesterkin 10-12 are complaining (as usual) that they didn't dip it to free agency this year.

Vince's podcast even confirms, that stuff was never going to happen as long as Trouba is still on the roster. 

Edited by Pete
  • Bullseye 1

The only thing I can think of is Drury is planning for next summer. We only have one UFA, Vesey at $800K. Smith is now another upcoming UFA. We have several RFAs, including Lafreniere and Miller, and then to a lesser extent Kakko, Cuylle, and Jones. 

We have $8M in cap space now to sign Lindgren and Schneider. Drury is obviously planning long term to fit in those Laf and Miller extensions. He doesn’t want to take on anyone at more term than one year because we have no cap relief. 

Moving Trouba would’ve been the main move to allow us to play more in free agency, but that fell through. 

Posted (edited)

I do not buy the no cap room next year thing. Yes, if no changes were made at all, and Shesty gets 11.5 and Laffy gets 8, they’ll get back around the upper cap limit again to re-sign the rest. But at worst, Drury could have bought out Trouba to make things work. Not to mention, there’s people who believe there’s a line of teams who would take Trouba’s full cap for free, so if that’s true then cap is also a complete non-issue.

Drury willfully chose not to go all in this summer. Good.

Edited by BrooksBurner

Signing a guy to a 1-2 year deal at the rate these guys are signing for is not "going all in". He just traded yet another 2nd for Reilly Smith rather than sign Cam Atkinson for the league minimum. They were reportedly very interested in Stamkos. That would have been an all-in move.

If they signed Guentzel, that's a move for the next 8 years, not just this "window".

The Rangers were reportedly interested in a few players ( Drouin  went for 1x$2.5) who chose to go elsewhere.

The most likely scenario is the most obvious, we don't need to twist to fit the narrative...He couldn't move Trouba so he didn't have cap. Once the Trouba fiasco went public, combined with the Goodrow end-around, it probably turned more than a few guys off.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Signing a guy to a 1-2 year deal at the rate these guys are signing for is not "going all in". He just traded yet another 2nd for Reilly Smith rather than sign Cam Atkinson for the league minimum. They were reportedly very interested in Stamkos. That would have been an all-in move.

If they signed Guentzel, that's a move for the next 8 years, not just this "window".

The Rangers were reportedly interested in a few players ( Drouin  went for 1x$2.5) who chose to go elsewhere.

The most likely scenario is the most obvious, we don't need to twist to fit the narrative...He couldn't move Trouba so he didn't have cap. Once the Trouba fiasco went public, combined with the Goodrow end-around, it probably turned more than a few guys off.

2nd round picks have very, very little value.

48 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

2nd round picks have very, very little value.

I don't think I agree with that.

But if I did, when you don't pick in the second round for like 5 years...that's the problem. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Pete said:

They were never going to go two years for anybody because they don't have the cap room. They have a lot of people to pay next summer.

Some of the same people not you) who want to pay Lafreniere 8-10m and Shesterkin 10-12 are complaining (as usual) that they didn't dip it to free agency this year.

Vince's podcast even confirms, that stuff was never going to happen as long as Trouba is still on the roster. 

Thank you.  For those of you who are complaining that we did not get Tarasenko or various other UFAs, just close your eyes, take a deep breath, and say "I understand that Drury was not in a position to take on multiyear contracts in view of the confluence of the last year of the Panarin contract and the first year of the Sheshty and LaF deals."  Say it three times.  Feel better?  I knew you would.

Edited by Sod16
  • Applause 1

Posted (edited)

Fuck everyone who is pissing and moaning about Vlad going to Detroit. Shut it. We did better. 

Remember- we got Reilly Smith,  Bob Groux, and some other dude named Fitzgerald- or some other Irishness.. Thats winning stuff!!

Edited by Flynn
  • Cheers 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Pete said:

I don't think I agree with that.

But if I did, when you don't pick in the second round for like 5 years...that's the problem. 

They’ve had 1 second round pick in a dozen years that’s played with any significance in the NHL.

I get what you’re saying and why, especially if it’s long-term and habitual.

But you’re still just talking about a lottery ticket that’s extremely unlikely to pay off into anything worthwhile.

So… ok. Maybe not worthless. But not worth much.

They’re almost universally worth more in trade than they are in practice. 

It’s really not worth being concerned over. 

Edited by RangersIn7