• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Among Teams Showing Interest in Vladimir Tarasenko

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

They’ve had 1 second round pick in a dozen years that’s played with any significance in the NHL.

I get what you’re saying and why, especially if it’s long-term and habitual.

But you’re still just talking about a lottery ticket that’s extremely unlikely to pay off into anything worthwhile.

So… ok. Maybe not worthless. But not worth much.

They’re almost universally worth more in trade than they are in practice. 

It’s really not worth being concerned over. 

I looked but I couldn’t find this stat I saw a few months ago regarding NHL players and where they were drafted.

unsurprisingly the majority Of NHL’rs are first round picks. The second group is 2nd round picks. But the third group believe it or not is actually undrafted players. 

the draft is always a crapshoot for sure but I’d say 2nd rounders still have decent value if you go by that stat. After that it seems not so much.

now the rangers can never seem to figure out how to draft well no matter what so it is what it is.

7 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

They’ve had 1 second round pick in a dozen years that’s played with any significance in the NHL.

I get what you’re saying and why, especially if it’s long-term and habitual.

But you’re still just talking about a lottery ticket that’s extremely unlikely to pay off into anything worthwhile.

So… ok. Maybe not worthless. But not worth much.

They’re almost universally worth more in trade than they are in practice. 

It’s really not worth being concerned over. 

Around 35% of all 2nd rounders make it to the NHL. Just because the Rangers picks haven't amounted to much doesn't mean there isn't value there. 

My overall point however, is the Rangers have no 2nd rounders for 5 years I believe. So they added to the future they've already mortgaged a notable amount to fill a hole today rather than pay a guy like Atkinson $800k (or whatever he got, and assuming they could've gotten him). And they're paying Smith more.

That, to me, shows a team who's taking another crack this year, not building for tomorrow, just saving cap for next summer. 

There are no tea leaves to read here.

That all I meant. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Around 35% of all 2nd rounders make it to the NHL. Just because the Rangers picks haven't amounted to much doesn't mean there isn't value there. 

My overall point however, is the Rangers have no 2nd rounders for 5 years I believe. So they added to the future they've already mortgaged a notable amount to fill a hole today rather than pay a guy like Atkinson $800k (or whatever he got, and assuming they could've gotten him). And they're paying Smith more.

That, to me, shows a team who's taking another crack this year, not building for tomorrow, just saving cap for next summer. 

There are no tea leaves to read here.

That all I meant. 

I completely get what you’re saying.

As for the success rate of picks and how that pertains to this team picking in that spot, I can only go on what the Rangers do there, and it has been historically poor, especially in recent history.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

The only thing I can think of is Drury is planning for next summer. We only have one UFA, Vesey at $800K. Smith is now another upcoming UFA. We have several RFAs, including Lafreniere and Miller, and then to a lesser extent Kakko, Cuylle, and Jones. 

We have $8M in cap space now to sign Lindgren and Schneider. Drury is obviously planning long term to fit in those Laf and Miller extensions. He doesn’t want to take on anyone at more term than one year because we have no cap relief. 

Moving Trouba would’ve been the main move to allow us to play more in free agency, but that fell through. 

And Drury needs to resolve the Shesterkin issue.

12 hours ago, Sod16 said:

Thank you.  For those of you who are complaining that we did not get Tarasenko or various other UFAs, just close your eyes, take a deep breath, and say "I understand that Drury was not in a position to take on multiyear contracts in view of the confluence of the last year of the Panarin contract and the first year of the Sheshty and LaF deals."  Say it three times.  Feel better?  I knew you would.

Great sermon; thank you.

I could be totally wrong on this because you never know until you play the games, but not signing a RW who can play in the top 6 is one of those mistakes that is going to continue to have ripple effects since the Buchnevich trade. If you recall, the thought process back then was "we need to clear a spot for Kaako & Lafrenaire to play" which is fine, it was just the execution of how they opened up that spot. Leaving themselves no insurance and not getting anything resembling adequate replacement value for Buch makes that trade a disaster, when you think that they have given up a 1st round, 3rd round, and (3) 4th round picks over the last 3 seasons and are no closer to fixing the issue. 

It didn't need to be Tarasenko; it could have very easily been Kane, Perron, Drouin, Perry, Duchene, or Arvidsson. All guys who signed for 2 years or less, and would have likely added much more value than Smith at 3.75 million. As mentioned they have plenty of depth on the 3rd line to do what Smith does, and/or they could have augmented that with someone on the open market like Atkinson for less while not surrendering an asset.

Saving cap room for next season is an absurd idea if the cost of getting someone to play in that spot was the second year in a contract. Worst case scenario if you don't have cap space to resign Shesterkin, Miller, and Laf, is that you have to move someone out to make room. The point is that you never know how a season is going to pan out and what the variables will be until you get back to this point next season. 

NHL for $1000 Please:

”Nakita Kucherov, Roman Josi, Jason Robertson, Sebastian Aho, Tyler Toffoli, Alex Debrincat, Roope Hintz, Filip Hronek?

“What are dudes the NY Rangers can never draft  because they discard 2nd round picks like pocket trash”

Correct- please select again. 

• Bullseye 1
  • Eyeballs 1

5 minutes ago, Flynn said:

NHL for $1000 Please:

”Nakita Kucherov, Roman Josi, Jason Robertson, Sebastian Aho, Tyler Toffoli, Alex Debrincat, Roope Hintz, Filip Hronek?

“What are dudes the NY Rangers can never draft  because they discard 2nd round picks like pocket trash”

Correct- please select again. 

Fair point.

But they’re bad with them.

What does it matter if you have a sports car if you’re incapable of driving a stick?

Not saying they can’t get better.

But the odds of that player being an NHL’er are 1 out of 3. The odds of that player being great are much lower. 

I don’t think they’re quite disposable. But as far as the Rangers go, they have been

1 hour ago, Albatrosss said:

Cally?  Duby?

That’s 20 years ago bro. And Cally was a 4th I think.

They got Buch and Duclair a decade or so ago too in the 3rd.

Im not saying there’s no finds.

Im saying there are very few. Cause it’s true

2 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

Of course a debate like this will pull all of the Rangers best 2nd rounders anywhere...vs 2nd rounders over the last decade.

But no one has done the math that matters...5 years without a 2nd rounder. 

Regardless, points proven about if the rangers are going for it. 

They clearly are. Within their means. It's not black and white. It's grey.

The tea leaves are simply ego. 

10 hours ago, Pete said:
13 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

Of course a debate like this will pull all of the Rangers best 2nd rounders anywhere...vs 2nd rounders over the last decade.

The thing here is that a single 2nd rounder by itself doesn't hold a great deal of value. 

As has been stated, a 2nd rounder statistically has a slightly better than 1 in 3 chance of becoming an NHL player.

However, by the same thinking, 5 years of 2nd round picks should produce at least 1 and possibly 2 NHL players. And 2 NHL calibre players on ELC's with a contending team is worth a lot

So treating 2nd and 3rd rounders like they're pocket change over time isn't great. Drafting well isn't as important in the NHL as it is in the NFL, for example, but if you put yourself in a position where you take so few swings that you're unable to backstop your roster with decent players on ELC roster construction becomes a lot harder. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pete said:

5 hours ago, Gravesy said:

The thing here is that a single 2nd rounder by itself doesn't hold a great deal of value. 

As has been stated, a 2nd rounder statistically has a slightly better than 1 in 3 chance of becoming an NHL player.

However, by the same thinking, 5 years of 2nd round picks should produce at least 1 and possibly 2 NHL players. And 2 NHL calibre players on ELC's with a contending team is worth a lot

So treating 2nd and 3rd rounders like they're pocket change over time isn't great. Drafting well isn't as important in the NHL as it is in the NFL, for example, but if you put yourself in a position where you take so few swings that you're unable to backstop your roster with decent players on ELC roster construction becomes a lot harder. 

I agree trading away 2nds for 5 straight years isn’t a good idea. And that they’re only doing so because they’re close and are going for it which is what they should be doing.

That said, it’s not hard to acquire them and you have to believe Drury will recoup some of them at some point. 

But it isn’t like 1st round picks where not having them really can hurt you and eventually catches up to you and you have no really premium young talent coming into your organization.

• Cheers 1