• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Thoughts on 2024 UFA

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Nothing.  They're not UFAs.  They're RFAs.

Exaclty....whole different ballgame, kids.  Get used to seeing these two....A LOT!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rangers1994 said:

Some thoughts for 2024 UFA so far?  Who can the Rangers sign moving forward?

A lot of the UFA’s that signed on day one got absurd contracts that are really not going to age well at all.  But in all seriousness, to end the first day of UFA season essentially only being able to obtain Riley Smith through trade shows that the Rangers are basically cap strung for the foreseeable future and really have no options but to run it back with the same group.  The absolute only way this changes is if Trouba is forced onto another team.  Thats why that trade is 100% a requirement for the organization to move forward.  The contract is awful, the player is not anywhere near worth the salary he’s getting and it’s going to destroy the Rangers ability to keep their own guys and go out and obtain any new pieces.  I just fail to understand how keeping this situation going with him is benefitting anyone.  I remain hopeful the deal gets done today or before the week is over but if Trouba begins the year on this roster, it’s all but certain to end exactly the same way it did this year- without the cup and even closer to the window closing on this group with only long playoff runs to show for it.

You don’t win a cup on July second. Sorry but the instant gratification on this board is something else.  It’s pretty clear Drury has a plan. LAF looks like the next leader and paramount will be having dough to lock him and and Schneider up.   The Trouba situation will play itself out unless u want to see a Mcdounagh type trade. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Slobberknocker said:

You don’t win a cup on July second. Sorry but the instant gratification on this board is something else.  It’s pretty clear Drury has a plan. LAF looks like the next leader and paramount will be having dough to lock him and and Schneider up.   The Trouba situation will play itself out unless u want to see a Mcdounagh type trade. 

Yeah.  I think the plan is to save the big money for next summer-- Shesterking, LAF,Miller.

3 hours ago, Slobberknocker said:

Yes. Mcdonough type trade please. I would take Howden for Trouba lol

• Keeps it 100 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah this isn’t like McDonagh. McDonagh was a productive player that we sold for pennies on the dollar.

Trouba is someone I think most Ranger fans would trade for a half eaten snickers bar that’s been sitting on a park bench since the beginning of June. Just to be rid of his cap hit.

We don’t need anything back. Losing (most of) his cap hit is victory enough in any trade. That said, it doesn’t seem like this is happening. It may still I guess. Just a very ugly, messy situation for all parties. An unfair situation for Trouba, for Drury, for the Rangers.

Edited by RichieNextel305

7 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

It’s funny, I kind of knew all along they weren’t going to do too much but it’s hard not to feel disappointed so far in the off season moves.  

Drury is saving the big money for next summer.

1 minute ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

So should the fans save rooting for the team to win for the 25-26 season?

No I'm saying he's saving the big money to re-sign Lindgren and Schneider for this summer; and Shesterkin, LAF, and Miller for next summer.

no one available was putting us over the top anyways, sure Stamkos/Guentzel but im pretty sure they had their minds set on those low/no tax states to begin with, even if Trouba accepted a trade. If our core don't put up come playoff time we're not winning regardless of Kane/Tarasenko types. -- RW can be addressed at the deadline if Smith/Kakko doesn't pan out in the 1st half. 

1 hour ago, siddious said:

Are you not going to root for them regardless of what they look like?

Of course I’ll root for them.  
If Drury is making his decisions based solely on next offseason he might not be here for it.   All the comments about saving money for next season without trying to make this a team a winner this season just seem a little ridiculous to me.  Rangers were close this season.  If Drury does a little better job at the trade deadline Rangers might have gone further.  To say he’s not spending money now when most teams are getting hurt by losing players just doesn’t make sense.  But everyone is entitled to their own opinions.  Too much changes in hockey.  When you have a chance you need to go for it.  Don’t hold back and say next year will be our year.  We had a whole line have career seasons this year.  Is that going to happen again?   What if Chytil or any other center gets hurt?   

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

If Drury is making his decisions based solely on next offseason he might not be here for it.   All the comments about saving money for next season without trying to make this a team a winner this season just seem a little ridiculous to me.  Rangers were close this season.  If Drury does a little better job at the trade deadline Rangers might have gone further.  To say he’s not spending money now when most teams are getting hurt by losing players just doesn’t make sense.  But everyone is entitled to their own opinions.  Too much changes in hockey.  When you have a chance you need to go for it.  Don’t hold back and say next year will be our year.  We had a whole line have career seasons this year.  Is that going to happen again?   What if Chytil or any other center gets hurt?   

This x 1000.....

We have a window with this current core and it is only another couple of seasons long and we are playing for the following off season?!? What?!? That's ridiculous. Plan for the future accordingly but that doesn't mean to forgo now. Just when I think this franchise may have figured it out.....Winners don't have a rotating door on their top 1/2 lines. The fact that this hole exists in our lineup for the third season in a row is mismanagement. Drurys comments when they broke up this year are not ringing true to his actions. Got rid of one of the few who delivered when the chips were down and the plan to ride this dog and pony show again without any decent changes is just pure insanity. It's like running into a wall, getting back up and running into the same wall and not understanding why you can't get to the other side.....

2 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

This is why I say Drury has a foot in two directions. He does fortify the roster at the deadlines and again in the offseason, but they are quick and dirty patches. The team stays similarly competitive year over year, but he could be doing more if he wasn’t worried about 1-2 years down the road. There were much better players available than Wennberg and Lolslovic at this year’s deadline. There were much better players available than Reilly Smith this summer.

• Keeps it 100 2

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

This x 1000.....

We have a window with this current core and it is only another couple of seasons long and we are playing for the following off season?!? What?!? That's ridiculous. Plan for the future accordingly but that doesn't mean to forgo now. Just when I think this franchise may have figured it out.....Winners don't have a rotating door on their top 1/2 lines. The fact that this hole exists in our lineup for the third season in a row is mismanagement. Drurys comments when they broke up this year are not ringing true to his actions. Got rid of one of the few who delivered when the chips were down and the plan to ride this dog and pony show again without any decent changes is just pure insanity. It's like running into a wall, getting back up and running into the same wall and not understanding why you can't get to the other side.....

You're acting like they're running back a bad team. They were a good team. They now have Chytil back and Smith is better than anything they had at RW previously. 

But most GMs of competitive teams have to balance winning now with winning later. It's not a binary thing, you're not either trying to win OR tearing it down. There's gray area of taking a crack with the team who was really good, while trying to stay really good for a really long time. This idea that your up cycles should mean Cups and down cycles mean bottom feeding is so odd to me. 

This may signal they're going to pay Shesty what he wants. You can't sign contracts that got signed on Day 1 of UFA and also pay Shesty, Laf, and Miller. 

There was only so much they could do once the Trouba thing happened. Thanks Larry and Jacob! Your professionalism is appreciated!

What Drury is doing might not be preferable but it's certainly reasonable. 

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1

The Trouba thing is not over.  It's just been postponed till later in the summer in my opinion.

It's not that Trouba can't be back at this point but it is hard to see how that would work for the Rangers if he was on the roster at the start of the season,

• Keeps it 100 2

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The Trouba thing is not over.  It's just been postponed till later in the summer in my opinion.

It's not that Trouba can't be back at this point but it is hard to see how that would work for the Rangers if he was on the roster at the start of the season,

Yea, it would not be ideal. Not sure how they juxtapose a "all for one, one for all" supposed leadership style with a guy who's acting on his own self interests.

To be clear, I don't think prioritizing your family is wrong, but I do think it's unprofessional to not act within what's outlined in your contract, which is a 15 team no trade. Putting it out there that he would block any trade or refuse to report is a real problem, especially for a Captain. 

I don't know how he can look any of his teammates in the eye and talk about doing what's best for the team...

Edited by Pete
  • Bullseye 2

Trouba is getting paid 8M and can say no to being moved to just about half the teams in the league.  Really can’t see his point of view at all.  Being traded is part of the sport.  At this point it’s hard to see him staying with the team after what’s transpired but if I’m the Gm of another team I wouldn’t want him now.  If anything he’s made it harder for Drury to trade him.  

• Like 1

Really, fuck Larry Brooks for this. Drury is one of the most tight-lipped GMs in the league. I'm sure he's fuming. Brooks has always been a shit starter and a pot stirrer. A far cry from a Mollie Walker type who does actual reporting. He's just here for 'hot' takes and to get clicks.