• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Thoughts on 2024 UFA

Maybe the biggest thing the leak actually did was to put it out there that the Rangers are done with Trouba and he'll move somewhere else as a result.

In the end, as much as his personal life gets disrupted by the move, there's no question the Rangers want to move on at this point.

Couple that with the Goodrow waiver to get around an NTC and it appears exceedingly likely that Trouba is moving on before next season.

I think Troubas camp is probably the one not acting in good faith here.

Bottom line is his contract leaves him open to a move for the last two years...the exact due date of the NTC list should be seen as more incidental imo...but instead his camp leaned on it to give Trouba an upper hand he basically shouldn't have at this point.

Now, If I'm Drury, I'd ship him off to the North Pole if possible... 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jdog99 said:

Bottom line is his contract leaves him open to a move for the last two years...the exact due date of the NTC list should be seen as more incidental imo...but instead his camp leaned on it to give Trouba an upper hand he basically shouldn't have at this point.

Yea, it's pretty obvious Trouba benefits from the leak because now nobody will trade for him or claim him because they know he won't report. 

There was no way Drury ever benefited from the leak in any capacity because it exposed that he was dealing outside of the clause which makes him look bad and gives Trouba every right to be upset, and now he can't trade the player anywhere because it's out there that are trade will result in non-reporting. 

Everything being said outside that is just fiction. 

42 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I don't agree. Maybe Drury had already committed to a buy out at minimum (reason TBD), and Detroit's proposed deal saved him a little more money and avoidance of the dead cap for a couple of years after the contract expires. In that case, he's going to go full court press to pressure Trouba, and if it doesn't work, who cares? He already knows he's getting rid of him anyway. We have to wait to find this out.

I'm not sure how Trouba benefits from the leak. Have you seen the amount of hate he and his wife have received? Are you saying he's oblivious to the public fan perception that he stinks and they want him gone? Leaking it makes him a hated man. That's something the other side (Drury) benefits from.

Look… I suppose it’s slightly possible that something unknown comes out and indicates otherwise, but it’s highly unlikely IMO.

I just don’t see it. 

As for Trouba leaking it… doing so kept him here. Did so on the advice of his agent, trying to garner sympathy. 
Bottom line… the leak helped put a stop on the line and he’s here now. 

TBH, no one has handled themselves well in this situation.

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

I don't agree. Maybe Drury had already committed to a buy out at minimum (reason TBD), and Detroit's proposed deal saved him a little more money and avoidance of the dead cap for a couple of years after the contract expires. In that case, he's going to go full court press to pressure Trouba, and if it doesn't work, who cares? He already knows he's getting rid of him anyway. We have to wait to find this out.

I'm not sure how Trouba benefits from the leak. Have you seen the amount of hate he and his wife have received? Are you saying he's oblivious to the public fan perception that he stinks and they want him gone? Leaking it makes him a hated man. That's something the other side (Drury) benefits from.

Look… I suppose it’s slightly possible that something unknown comes out and indicates otherwise, but it’s highly unlikely IMO.

I just don’t see it. 

As for Trouba leaking it… doing so kept him here. Did so on the advice of his agent, trying to garner sympathy. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

I'm not sure how Trouba benefits from the leak. Have you seen the amount of hate he and his wife have received? Are you saying he's oblivious to the public fan perception that he stinks and they want him gone? Leaking it makes him a hated man. That's something the other side (Drury) benefits 

Edited by RangersIn7

29 minutes ago, Jdog99 said:

Why is the early request for the list incidental? It is a strong arm move by Drury and the only reason we are even discussing this.

What upper hand did Trouba gain? Drury holds the final card here. Waive, and if unclaimed, buy out. The “won’t accept a move” is a bluff. He’s not retiring. I suppose Trouba could be angling hard for a buyout if there’s reciprocal interest in a minimum salary deal from NJ or NYI, to stay local. Otherwise, if he wants to continue his career he will have to move to a new location.

8 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

I just don’t see it. 

There were multiple leaks. The first being the early NTC request and that Trouba’s time here was done, and the second being that Trouba wouldn’t accept a move. The first, I believe was Drury. To be definitive like “the decision has been made, he’s done here” has to come from the horse’s mouth to get printed. The second leak is more debateable to me on who leaked. Both have incentive to do it, but I’d probably lean Trouba’s side as to give a warning shot to other teams not to try trading for him. It inflicts some damage on his character, but if he can scare off a trade and get the buyout instead, maybe he can stay local like I mentioned.

Trouba’s family situation was not a leak. It was known his wife was doing her hospital residency. I agree it became a focus in the media to try and garner sympathy though, but only because he was getting dragged through the mud by fans on social media. He still is.

• Bullseye 1

30 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

I just don’t see it. 

Whenever we start with "well what if" instead of dealing with the information we have, it's pointless endeavor.

Here's what we know: 

• Drury asked for the list early 
  • He was discussing a trade with Detroit 
  • Brooks found out about the trade and wanted the scoop 
  • At that point we find out Trouba is upset with the whole process 
  • We also find out that Trouba will "block" aka not report regardless of what team he's traded to because of his wife's situation 

Here's what else we know:

• The team doesn't benefit at all from The trade being leaked. There is no angle where there's a benefit to the team 
  • Trouba saying he won't report means that nobody will claim him and nobody will try and trade for him 
  • The buyout window is closed so that is no longer an option 

Now what I'm guessing is that if this is a guy who doesn't care what his teammates or organization think about his behavior, he's not really going to care what fans think.

And I agree that nobody looks good here. Drury again is negotiating outside the spirit of the contract, Trouba is acting outside of the spirit of the contract, Brooks in an attempt to remain relevant broke a story before there was pen to paper and now everybody is suffering for that. 

Just now, BrooksBurner said:

There were multiple leaks. The first being the early NTC request and that Trouba’s time here was done, and the second being that Trouba wouldn’t accept a move. The first, I believe was Drury. To be definitive like “the decision has been made, he’s done here” has to come from the horse’s mouth to get printed. The second leak is more debateable to me on who leaked. Both have incentive to do it, but I’d probably lean Trouba’s side as to give a warning shot to other teams not to try trading for him. It inflicts some damage on his character, but if he can scare off a trade and get the buyout instead, maybe he can stay local like I mentioned.

Trouba’s family situation was not a leak. It was known his wife was doing her hospital residency. I agree it became a focus in the media to try and garner sympathy though, but only because he was getting dragged through the mud by fans on social media. He still is.

The family thing… yeah. Not a leak.

Just an element of the story-albeit initially a secondary one-that’s now come to the forefront. 
I say secondary BTW, as his wife isn’t a team employee. That’s all. 

I can’t really see a logical reason as to why Drury should leak it. 

The initial stories weren’t leaks, were they?

More like pretty high level and well connected reporters just hearing stuff?

• Bullseye 1

2 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Lindgren is going to arbitration which gives the Rangers a 2nd buyout window.  

Only if arbitration results in them being over the cap, IIRC. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Just an element of the story-albeit initially a secondary one-that’s now come to the forefront. 

The initial stories were leaked to Brooks. The idea it was intentional on the Rangers behalf has absolutely zero logic behind it. 

Just a lot of "well what if Drury did something really dumb," because some are pushing a narrative.

Edited by Pete

12 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

The initial stories about early NTC requests and that a decision had been made one way or another? That’s what I consider a leak and what I’ve been talking about this whole time. If not that, what are you even referring to as a leak? Lol

I disagree on the leaks being a dumb move.

There was no way Trouba was moving early given he had an NTC against the most likely destinations.

However what the leaks established is that Trouba will not be back with the Rangers one way or the other.  That's a message that had to get out.

As to whether Trouba will report where he is traded or claimed is almost irrelevant because the Rangers have a remedy against that through contract termination.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Br4d said:

I disagree on the leaks being a dumb move.

There was no way Trouba was moving early given he had an NTC against the most likely destinations.

However what the leaks established is that Trouba will not be back with the Rangers one way or the other.  That's a message that had to get out.

As to whether Trouba will report where he is traded or claimed is almost irrelevant because the Rangers have a remedy against that through contract termination.

They have no way to terminate his contract unless he refuses to report to the Rangers. If they trade him and he doesn't report, the new team is the team that would terminate his contract, so why would a team give up assets to do that unless it was a bad contract coming back this way? 

Why is it the same outlet that leaked the info (Post) now saying that the team is likely to run it back with Trouba?

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

They have no way to terminate his contract unless he refuses to report to the Rangers. If they trade him and he doesn't report, the new team is the team that would terminate his contract, so why would a team give up assets to do that unless it was a bad contract coming back this way? 

Why is it the same outlet that leaked the info (Post) now saying that the team is likely to run it back with Trouba?

A trade for Trouba right now is likely to include no assets coming back for him other than future considerations.  It's very possible the Rangers will eat 30% retention and get nothing back but future considerations.

This is all about clearing the maximum possible cap space and the Rangers would be foolish to assume they can get something done at TDL or next off-season when they will absolutely need that cap space for other things.

If you want to blow up the contract this is the year to do it unless you are going to buy him out next season.  $8M 3rd pair defenseman is a heavy weight to carry this season just so you can get some cap relief next.  Better to rip the bandaid off now and actually have some of the cap saving present in both seasons.

16 minutes ago, Pete said:

The initial stories were leaked to Brooks. The idea it was intentional on the Rangers behalf has absolutely zero logic behind it. 

Just a lot of "well what if Drury did something really dumb," because some are pushing a narrative.

Emily Kaplan had it too early on. There were 2 stories in 2 data I believe… maybe it was 3 days. Brooke had one. She had the second. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Br4d said:

A trade for Trouba right now is likely to include no assets coming back for him other than future considerations.  It's very possible the Rangers will eat 30% retention and get nothing back but future considerations.

This is all about clearing the maximum possible cap space and the Rangers would be foolish to assume they can get something done at TDL or next off-season when they will absolutely need that cap space for other things.

If you want to blow up the contract this is the year to do it unless you are going to buy him out next season.  $8M 3rd pair defenseman is a heavy weight to carry this season just so you can get some cap relief next.  Better to rip the bandaid off now and actually have some of the cap saving present in both seasons.

I don't understand what this has to do with anything. Where are you going with this?

The ideal situation would be not having to take anything back however, who is going to trade for Trouba knowing that he's not going to report?

Edited by Pete

8 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Emily Kaplan had it too early on. There were 2 stories in 2 data I believe… maybe it was 3 days. Brooke had one. She had the second. 

I don't think that changes anything. It's still the New York Post. 

Posted (edited)

It makes zero sense for a guy who wants to stay here to leak publicly that the team wants his list and is getting rid of him. What he would actually do is sit there and shut up, quietly say no to the requests and hope stuff falls through so he plays another year in NY so it doesn’t affect his family. It is very clear that Drury is the beneficiary of a leak because it’s hard to wind that one back and shows Trouba he’s gone no matter what, or at least threatens him as much as possible to accept the situation.

Edited by BrooksBurner

39 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

The initial stories about early NTC requests and that a decision had been made one way or another? That’s what I consider a leak and what I’ve been talking about this whole time. If not that, what are you even referring to as a leak? Lol

To me a leak is information that comes from an insider with firsthand knowledge of a situation and it isn’t public or common knowledge.

Is that really the case here?

Weve all speculated about it and acknowledged that it was possible for months.

Reporters do the same and dig around, make calls, reach out to contacts, ask questions and all that stuff when there is speculation and it’s real and warranted… not fan fiction but something that could actually happen because there’s logical reasons for it. 

The leaks almost certainly came from Trouba and his agent.

Perhaps a reporter contacted them and asked for comment based on something they heard.

Perhaps the other way around.

But it’s gotta come from that side.

Meaning Trouba’s side.

What does Drury or the Rangers get from the story being out there???

A belligerent player that won’t report?

That doesn’t help.

The potential bad PR of sending a new father and his wife and young son out of town when his wife is trying to become a doctor?

That doesn’t help.

A damaged relationship with that player if he stays?

That doesn’t help.

Issues within the locker room from his teammates who think it’s shitty?

That doesn’t help.

And he doesn’t need to make hay with the fans and say, I’m trying to do this can you help it along…cause we want it anyway. 

It’s not putting pressure on Trouba either.

He can block a trade to any perspective destination.

His camp leaks it.

More details come to light. It buys a little time. They can find out who perspective buyers are. And put them on the list.

And lo and behold… he did precisely that.

And here he is. Still on the roster.

• Like 1