• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Thoughts on 2024 UFA

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

To me a leak is information that comes from an insider with firsthand knowledge of a situation and it isn’t public or common knowledge.

Is that really the case here?

Weve all speculated about it and acknowledged that it was possible for months.

Reporters do the same and dig around, make calls, reach out to contacts, ask questions and all that stuff when there is speculation and it’s real and warranted… not fan fiction but something that could actually happen because there’s logical reasons for it. 

The leaks almost certainly came from Trouba and his agent.

Perhaps a reporter contacted them and asked for comment based on something they heard.

Perhaps the other way around.

But it’s gotta come from that side.

Meaning Trouba’s side.

What does Drury or the Rangers get from the story being out there???

A belligerent player that won’t report?

That doesn’t help.

The potential bad PR of sending a new father and his wife and young son out of town when his wife is trying to become a doctor?

That doesn’t help.

A damaged relationship with that player if he stays?

That doesn’t help.

Issues within the locker room from his teammates who think it’s shitty?

That doesn’t help.

And he doesn’t need to make hay with the fans and say, I’m trying to do this can you help it along…cause we want it anyway. 

It’s not putting pressure on Trouba either.

He can block a trade to any perspective destination.

His camp leaks it.

More details come to light. It buys a little time. They can find out who perspective buyers are. And put them on the list.

And lo and behold… he did precisely that.

And here he is. Still on the roster.

An early NTC request and an ultimatum that he's gone no matter what is not a reporter doing some light digging.  We disagree on the significance of that, pure and simple. Trouba gains nothing from leaking that info when he wants to stay here. Why would he make it public that he's not coming back, no take backs, if he wants to stay? That's illogical. I still don't even know what you are referring to as a leak if you don't think that is. The questions you've asked are not related to the NTC/ultimatum. Those are related to the follow up PR stunt about his family to make Drury look heartless and all of that, and claiming he won't report to any other team AKA being belligerent.

Trouba cannot block waivers and he cannot block a trade to more than half the teams in the league. He can threaten not to report, but Drury can waive him, and if he goes unclaimed because of the threat or overweight contract, he goes right to Hartford. If he doesn't report there, the contract is terminated. He'd have to choose between working towards a trade or playing in Hartford away from his family anyway. Drury holds the trump card here.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

She’s at ESPN

Oh crap, confused her with Mollie.

I don't know that ESPN has any deep insider info about the team. 

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Oh crap, confused her with Mollie.

I don't know that ESPN has any deep insider info about the team. 

No.

But she (Kaplan) might be a bit more plugged in around the league.

Either way, it’s splitting hairs. 

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

An early NTC request and an ultimatum that he's gone no matter what is not a reporter doing some light digging.  We disagree on the significance of that, pure and simple. Trouba gains nothing from leaking that info when he wants to stay here. Why would he make it public that he's not coming back, no take backs, if he wants to stay? That's illogical. I still don't even know what you are referring to as a leak if you don't think that is. The questions you've asked are not related to the NTC/ultimatum. Those are related to the follow up PR stunt about his family to make Drury look heartless and all of that, and claiming he won't report to any other team AKA being belligerent.

Trouba cannot block waivers and he cannot block a trade to more than half the teams in the league. He can threaten not to report, but Drury can waive him, and if he goes unclaimed because of the threat or overweight contract, he goes right to Hartford. If he doesn't report there, the contract is terminated. He'd have to choose between working towards a trade or playing in Hartford away from his family anyway. Drury holds the trump card here.

I never said “light” digging.

Secondly… it doesn’t actually matter.

Drury wanted to move him. He likely had a taker or close to it.

Trouba got asked for his last early.

Also… the talk about the Rangers wanting to move him was out there prior as a potential Avenue. We as know nothing fans were arriving at that. 
He knew. His agent surely knew. 

Speculation was heavy on him prior to any of this actually getting moving or coming to light.

We all know his NMC turned NTC with 15 teams on July 1.

We all know that because of his salary and his recent play that it’s something that any GM in his right mind has to look at.

Point being… we as fans knew this could happen. What does a true NHL insider know? More than us. And surely more than enough to start making calls. 

So as far as a reporter goes, especially one like Brooks with his tenure, resume, and experience and the connections he has all over the league, that he can pick up his phone and call or text many, many people, all of whom know more than us, and 1 or 2 of whom would know if something is in the works and likely tell Uncle Larry. 

And that’s just 1 possibility.

On Trouba’s behalf… its levels of tactics.

They know the talk is out there.

They know he’s about to lose full trade protection. 
They know his cap hit and the Rangers cap situation.

Any decent agent and reasonably smart player can figure that out.

Soooo…

First your agent leaks that information that there’s a potential trade brewing.

Then he leaks that his client is shocked and blindsided and the team made the request for the list early. 
Then they slow walk it cause he doesn’t want to go. 
The potential deal runs out of steam. He puts his projected destination on the NTC list to fully squash that deal.

He stays.

And then they leak the family situation and that he wouldn’t potentially report to fully squash any other potential deals. 

And here he sits. 

All this on the heels of Drury just putting Goodrow on waivers. So the no reporting threat or tactic guards against a waiver claim too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

It makes zero sense for a guy who wants to stay here to leak publicly that the team wants his list and is getting rid of him. What he would actually do is sit there and shut up, quietly say no to the requests and hope stuff falls through so he plays another year in NY so it doesn’t affect his family. It is very clear that Drury is the beneficiary of a leak because it’s hard to wind that one back and shows Trouba he’s gone no matter what, or at least threatens him as much as possible to accept the situation.

What makes zero sense is staying where you aren’t wanted. Or at least where the savings outweighs your play. 

But that’s on Trouba.

Personally, I wouldn’t want to work anywhere under those circumstances.

But he’s ok with it presumably so it is what it is. 

• Like 1

Also… the initial outing of the information surrounding him possibly being traded comes into the light and it gets people talking and looking and more and more information comes to light. 

It makes the path easier to navigate for the player. 

21 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

I never said “light” digging.

Secondly… it doesn’t actually matter.

Drury wanted to move him. He likely had a taker or close to it.

Trouba got asked for his last early.

Also… the talk about the Rangers wanting to move him was out there prior as a potential Avenue. We as know nothing fans were arriving at that. 
He knew. His agent surely knew. 

Speculation was heavy on him prior to any of this actually getting moving or coming to light.

We all know his NMC turned NTC with 15 teams on July 1.

We all know that because of his salary and his recent play that it’s something that any GM in his right mind has to look at.

Point being… we as fans knew this could happen. What does a true NHL insider know? More than us. And surely more than enough to start making calls. 

So as far as a reporter goes, especially one like Brooks with his tenure, resume, and experience and the connections he has all over the league, that he can pick up his phone and call or text many, many people, all of whom know more than us, and 1 or 2 of whom would know if something is in the works and likely tell Uncle Larry. 

And that’s just 1 possibility.

On Trouba’s behalf… its levels of tactics.

They know the talk is out there.

They know he’s about to lose full trade protection. 
They know his cap hit and the Rangers cap situation.

Any decent agent and reasonably smart player can figure that out.

Soooo…

First your agent leaks that information that there’s a potential trade brewing.

Then he leaks that his client is shocked and blindsided and the team made the request for the list early. 
Then they slow walk it cause he doesn’t want to go. 
The potential deal runs out of steam. He puts his projected destination on the NTC list to fully squash that deal.

He stays.

And then they leak the family situation and that he wouldn’t potentially report to fully squash any other potential deals. 

And here he sits. 

All this on the heels of Drury just putting Goodrow on waivers. So the no reporting threat or tactic guards against a waiver claim too.

There is a massive difference between reporting he said/she said on a potential trade, and penciling a team ultimatum. The former happens all of the time. The latter does not. So while I agree with much of what you are saying surrounding the poking and prodding, it doesn't fit here.

Nowhere in your theoretical progression of how it went down did you talk about the ultimatum. You think Larry is going to roll publish that by hearing it offhand from an agent? Give me a break. It's not logical.

We'll find out soon enough. If Trouba is on the roster come opening day, you are probably right and Drury got completely outmaneuvered in another failed offseason - what else is new? - but I'm betting he's done as a Ranger, and that your theory is wrong 🙂

I’m not saying that this is what happened, nor am I saying there’s no other possibilities.

And I’ll fully acknowledge that there’s probably information of some significance that we don’t know and may never know.

Also.., acknowledge that it doesn’t necessarily have to be a leak in the fullest sense. 

But it’s simply Occam’s Razor.

The most logical explanation is usually the correct one.

Trouba wanted to stay and was willing to do and look however in order to do so. 

The info got out that Drury was exploring and had a potential partner(s). Notably Detroit.

The info got out that there was a meeting between him and Drury to discuss his future.

Now everyone is looking. Calling. Asking questions. 

Then…

Early request for list.

Slow walking or refusing to give the list before it’s due.

Time runs shorter to make that deal. 

Detroit gets added to the list.

Deal squashed

Stuff about family

Doesnt want to go

Speaks of no reporting

Squashes waiver pickup.

It doesn’t fully cover all option, but all Drury has left are basically nuclear ones. 

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

There is a massive difference between reporting he said/she said on a potential trade, and penciling a team ultimatum. The former happens all of the time. The latter does not. So while I agree with much of what you are saying surrounding the poking and prodding, it doesn't fit here.

Nowhere in your theoretical progression of how it went down did you talk about the ultimatum. You think Larry is going to roll publish that by hearing it offhand from an agent? Give me a break. It's not logical.

We'll find out soon enough. If Trouba is on the roster come opening day, you are probably right and Drury got completely outmaneuvered in another failed offseason - what else is new? - but I'm betting he's done as a Ranger, and that your theory is wrong 🙂

What ultimatum are you speaking of exactly?

Did someone actually say that, and who was it?

Am I unaware of that?

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

What ultimatum are you speaking of exactly?

Did someone actually say that, and who was it?

Am I unaware of that?

You been living under a rock this week? Lol. Here:

If Trouba does not approve a trade to Detroit that is believed in place, he will ultimately be sent somewhere else, perhaps by waivers. The decision has been made.

https://nypost.com/2024/07/01/sports/rangers-chris-drury-cant-overreact-in-nhl-free-agency/

Now tell me why you are so opinionated on the topic if you haven't even kept up with it?

Edited by BrooksBurner

Well if the guy who got the trade wrong said it, it must be true...

Brooks has zero credibility moving forward. He has zero credibility since the story began. 

14 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

You been living under a rock this week? Lol. Here:

https://nypost.com/2024/07/01/sports/rangers-chris-drury-cant-overreact-in-nhl-free-agency/

Now tell me why you are so opinionated on the topic if you haven't even kept up with it?

Ok… thats what you were referring to.

90% of that article is about the FA class.

At no point does the word ultimatum appear.

And it’s Brooks saying it. It’s a flourish line at the end of an article in which Trouba is mentioned and spoken about for 10 sentences. 

Brooks says the decision has been made. That’s a writer writing. 
Now if you’re saying Drury wants out from under this contract… yeah. He does. We know that. He tried to trade him. We all talked about that being a possibility. 

This has all been about that line from Brooks? 

Drury is hell bent to trade him. Will do so at all costs… that never strengthens a GM’s position when it gets out. And he never leaks anything… and now he does?

Right after he abruptly put Goodrow on waivers? 
Which also got out a day or two beforehand.

Because in both instances, either a reporter asked the right questions to the right people, or the player/agent put it out there cause the player was upset by it, having been informed by his team already that this is/was about to happen. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Ok… thats what you were referring to.

90% of that article is about the FA class.

At no point does the word ultimatum appear.

And it’s Brooks saying it. It’s a flourish line at the end of an article in which Trouba is mentioned and spoken about for 10 sentences. 

Brooks says the decision has been made. That’s a writer writing. 
Now if you’re saying Drury wants out from under this contract… yeah. He does. We know that. He tried to trade him. We all talked about that being a possibility. 

This has all been about that line from Brooks? 

Drury is hell bent to trade him. Will do so at all costs… that never strengthens a GM’s position when it gets out. And he never leaks anything… and now he does?

Right after he abruptly put Goodrow on waivers? 
Which also got out a day or two beforehand.

Because in both instances, either a reporter asked the right questions to the right people, or the player/agent put it out there cause the player was upset by it, having been informed by his team already that this is/was about to happen. 

I didn't realize the word ultimatum had to be included in a statement for it to be an ultimatum. If you don't think that statement is an ultimatum I don't know what to tell you.

The Goodrow tie-in doesn't make sense. There were obviously no interested parties via trade for him, so there would have been no reason to request his list early or apply pressure to get him to waive the clause. Everyone knew he was being shopped. Drury found someone who would claim him off waivers so he waived him immediately. We heard it was going to be San Jose from Mollie the day before it happened. Maybe Trouba's side leaked that too?

21 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

I didn't realize the word ultimatum had to be included in a statement for it to be an ultimatum. If you don't think that statement is an ultimatum I don't know what to tell you.

The Goodrow tie-in doesn't make sense. There were obviously no interested parties via trade for him, so there would have been no reason to request his list early or apply pressure to get him to waive the clause. Everyone knew he was being shopped. Drury found someone who would claim him off waivers so he waived him immediately. We heard it was going to be San Jose from Mollie the day before it happened. Maybe Trouba's side leaked that too?

Yeah… leaked information from the Rangers… you should be more concerned with the leak from your cocks!

21 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Some more context for you