• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ekblad and the Panthers

Posted (edited)

If that is the case, I can think of $7.5 million reasons....

....also last year of his deal.  He's 28 going on 29 and probably will cost too much for what they wanna do.  He's no Trouba though!  😉

Edited by Ozzy

5 hours ago, Rangers1994 said:

Why would the Panthers want to trad Aaron Ekblad right after their Cup win?  He was a huge part of it.

What are you reading?

I've been under a rock - is this an actual thing that's happening?

Source?

Article?

Pigeon carrier?

• 2 weeks later...

Ekblad has always been a very good player when healthy and has a great skill set.

Big, strong, physical, yet a good skater with good offensive instincts and tools, and the ability to move the puck.

Yet at this point, 10 seasons into his career, he’s had several concussions plus other injuries as well. He’s now 28 going on 29.

And he’s missed like 80-90 games in the last 3-4 seasons. 

I think they feel like they’ve gotten his best hockey and aren’t willing to pay for the junk that may come.

He probably had his fate sealed the moment Forsling got his extension. 

• Bullseye 1

Nobody should be paying through the nose for any 29 year old player who is not the best at his position when the deal is consummated.

Really nobody should be paying through the nose for any 29 year old on an 8 year deal if you look at the actuarial tables for peak player performance and decline.  However as many people believe, most GM's don't look more than 2 years out and pretend the latter stages of the deal just don't exist.

6 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

Ekblad has always been a very good player when healthy and has a great skill set.

Big, strong, physical, yet a good skater with good offensive instincts and tools, and the ability to move the puck.

Yet at this point, 10 seasons into his career, he’s had several concussions plus other injuries as well. He’s now 28 going on 29.

And he’s missed like 80-90 games in the last 3-4 seasons. 

I think they feel like they’ve gotten his best hockey and aren’t willing to pay for the junk that may come.

He probably had his fate sealed the moment Forsling got his extension. 

Then Billly Zito should trade him.

16 hours ago, Br4d said:

Nobody should be paying through the nose for any 29 year old player who is not the best at his position when the deal is consummated.

Really nobody should be paying through the nose for any 29 year old on an 8 year deal if you look at the actuarial tables for peak player performance and decline.  However as many people believe, most GM's don't look more than 2 years out and pretend the latter stages of the deal just don't exist.

And I think that’s the general tenor on what Florida is thinking with him, I.e., they aren’t going to give him another long-term contract.

He went right from his ELC to his current 8 year contract.

Theyre paying him $60 million total already in that deal.

I can’t see them giving him

another 8 seasons and in upwards of $60 million again. 

I think they probably trade him.

But maybe they just roll with him through this season and let him walk maybe. 
Wgo knows?