• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ryan Lindgren Files for Arbitration

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Expect this to drag out a bit, but this will give the Rangers a 2nd buyout window to dump Trouba if they want.

It’s his right.

It is a bit of a risky tactic though.

Hes gonna break down and I think he knows it.

And this was a really good shot at that nice long-term payday at a good salary guaranteed for probably 4-5 seasons.

Now he could end up with a 1 year deal and could miss out on that if something bad happens to him. 
There is though also potential there for him to make more if it works out in arb.

He gets a one year deal and a bump in pay on that deal. Next year, he plays well, he sets the bar higher for himself, whether he’s here or elsewhere. 

Must make hay when you can so I do not blame him at all. Always risk involved. I doubt  there’s a GM in the league who doesn’t have a book on him and also knows he’s been through the meat grinder many times. Good-luck Ryan.

Sometimes, and like the song goes, “Go on, take the money and run…” My bet would be he’s on our opening night roster with term. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

It’s his right.

It is a bit of a risky tactic though.

Hes gonna break down and I think he knows it.

And this was a really good shot at that nice long-term payday at a good salary guaranteed for probably 4-5 seasons.

Now he could end up with a 1 year deal and could miss out on that if something bad happens to him. 
There is though also potential there for him to make more if it works out in arb.

He gets a one year deal and a bump in pay on that deal. Next year, he plays well, he sets the bar higher for himself, whether he’s here or elsewhere. 

I mean it's standard practice for an RFA to file for arbitration if there's no agreement yet. That's not risky, and we have no idea what he's been offered. If he's getting 2-3 year offers, it's common sense to go arbitration and test the market in a year.

44 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I mean it's standard practice for an RFA to file for arbitration if there's no agreement yet. That's not risky, and we have no idea what he's been offered. If he's getting 2-3 year offers, it's common sense to go arbitration and test the market in a year.

I know it’s standard if there’s no deal… and they likely get to a long-term deal. 

Im saying specifically to him and his style of play, if he winds up without a deal, there’s potential with him to not get there. More so than with most other players. 

3 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

I know it’s standard if there’s no deal… and they likely get to a long-term deal. 

Im saying specifically to him and his style of play, if he winds up without a deal, there’s potential with him to not get there. More so than with most other players. 

There's nothing risky about it if it's standard is my point. You don't know that he's had a long term deal offered to him yet to even turn down, or maybe they are low balling him, so it might have been his only option.

No offensive stats but first unit D man on good team for a good number of years.  That's north of $4m from an arbitrator.  Given the above normal possibility that he may break down, he's best off going for term rather than a high number, and he won't get term from an arbitrator.  I'm not worried about them not being able to work this one out reasonably.

• Cheers 1

AAV doesn't the seem to be the issue as much as term. Lindgren's qualifying offer is a manageable $3.6 million, with a chance they end up landing closer to $4 million. Indications are he'd be open to a long-term deal somewhere in that range, but there's understandable hesitation to commit too many years to a player who endures a lot of wear and tear due to his fearless style of play.

That's why it would make some sense for the Rangers to go down the arbitration road. It may not be the most likely outcome, but it would allow them to keep an important defenseman in place without taking on risk beyond this coming season.

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2024/07/09/ny-rangers-thoughts-2024-offseason-quiet/74326891007/

6 minutes ago, siddious said:

If he gets injured and goes on LTIR then who cares about term?

at $4mil Is it even that big of a gamble?

He’s 26 not 36. Sign him and let’s move on.

Yeah, I'm in this boat. Are we really squabbling over term with a 26-year-old? If he wants 3.9 x 8, I mean, great. He'll take up less than 4% of the cap for most of that contract. Let's get it done and let the next GM worry about years 6-8 or whatever.

• Like 2
  • Keeps it 100 2

1 hour ago, LindG1000 said:

Yeah, I'm in this boat. Are we really squabbling over term with a 26-year-old? If he wants 3.9 x 8, I mean, great. He'll take up less than 4% of the cap for most of that contract. Let's get it done and let the next GM worry about years 6-8 or whatever.

Agreed in premise. He’s 26. This isn’t signing Girardi for 6 years at 30. I don’t think 8 years is necessary though to achieve the result you’re looking for.

There’s a massive contingent of Rangers fans who think Lindgren just absolutely sucks because he had one bad year defensively with respect to underlying stats, when he has rated high in prior years. Rather than shuffling him out, the team should be thankful that he had an off year since it should result in a discount if he wants to sign for more than a year.

Just now, BrooksBurner said:

Agreed in premise. He’s 26. This isn’t signing Girardi for 6 years at 30. I don’t think 8 years is necessary though to achieve the result you’re looking for.

There’s a massive contingent of Rangers fans who think Lindgren just absolutely sucks because he had one bad year defensively with respect to underlying stats, when he has rated high in prior years. Rather than shuffling him out, the team should be thankful that he had an off year since it should result in a discount if he wants to sign for more than a year.

I'm just saying that at the number he's quoting, there's almost no difference to the team if he wants 6 years or 7 years or 8 years - they're all fine. Let insurance and the next GM worry about those years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, siddious said:

If he gets injured and goes on LTIR then who cares about term?

at $4mil Is it even that big of a gamble?

He’s 26 not 36. Sign him and let’s move on.

Good point. He could be our mini Mark Stone eh? Hurt February-April every year. Combined with Chytil we could have 9 million in LTIR money every deadline!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Just for clarity: Girardi signed at 29. Lindgren would, presumably, sign at 26. Girardi was in his walk year. Lindgren is one year from his.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Just for clarity: Girardi signed at 29. Lindgren would, presumably, sign at 26. Girardi was in his walk year. Lindgren is one year from his.

Defenseman peak between 26-31 typically. That buys us 4 years of whatever Lindgrens prime is going to be presumably.

Its a no brainer.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Also to clarify, Girardi signed for 8.55% of the cap at the time. Lindgren would - assuming the numbers reported - be signing at closer to 4.5% of the cap, and we already know that the cap will be rising 4M+ the next few seasons.

5 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Also to clarify, Girardi signed for 8.55% of the cap at the time. Lindgren would - assuming the numbers reported - be signing at closer to 4.5% of the cap, and we already know that the cap will be rising 4M+ the next few seasons.

Yes, but I'm not sure who's making the dollar argument. I'm not. I don't want to be locked into a mediocre player who's body is falling apart long-term. The dollars aren't the issue, the term is.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yes, but I'm not sure who's making the dollar argument. I'm not. I don't want to be locked into a mediocre player who's body is falling apart long-term. The dollars aren't the issue, the term is.

I think it's hard to feel like you're locked into a guy making less than 4% of the cap, especially with the "warrior" reputation. He's tradeable further on in a big deal, and honestly, who knows what the CBA is going to change with regard to longer contracts, buyouts, LTIR...

I'm sort of talking myself into a 5 year cap here, now that I'm down the road some.

1 hour ago, LindG1000 said:

I think it's hard to feel like you're locked into a guy making less than 4% of the cap, especially with the "warrior" reputation. He's tradeable further on in a big deal, and honestly, who knows what the CBA is going to change with regard to longer contracts, buyouts, LTIR...

I'm sort of talking myself into a 5 year cap here, now that I'm down the road some.

5 to 6 years max and if .  he's 26, so he'll be 32 when teh contract is up.  He should still be able to skate at 32.

As reported last week by lohud.com, part of the USA TODAY Network, the main holdup with Lindgren appears to be term. The expectation is that his AAV will land somewhere around his $3.6 million qualifying offer, perhaps going as high as $4 million, but the Rangers' preference is not to go overboard on the length of the contract.

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2024/07/15/what-braden-schneiders-new-contract-means-for-rangers-d-corps/74410754007/