• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Pick One Ranger to Erase From Ever Happening

One candidate. One player. Any era. Any reason. We're erasing them from NYR history for whatever reason you decide.

You can account for Butterfly Effect if you'd like, but it's not necessary. This is Summer Content™ so do whatever you like.

I don't know my answer just yet, so I'm gonna respond later once I've had a chance to think through this more. Someone else kick us off.

I'll start it off;

Ken Hodge

Easily my choice.  We gave up Rick Middleton for a guy who came here and did absolutely nothing.  He had a nice career in Boston, but he was pretty much shot when we got him, and I think Espo lobbied to have him here.  I may be wrong, but as far as I'm concerned, he was probably the worst Rangers player in the history of the team.

Middleton went on to have a fabulous career.  Hodge blew monkey ass here.  What a waste!

Dan Boyle. The Rangers let go of Stralman, one of their best defensemen, so Sather could finally get one of his white whales. Boyle was cooked by the time he got here and forced the Rangers to use assets to get a replacement PPQB in Yandle. Boyle was a bad addition to a cup contender.

• Applause 2
  • Keeps it 100 3

Oh, this is a fun one. Good call here, @Phil.

So many "just, fuck that guy" answers....Quintal, de Vries, Holik...

I'm trying to avoid a draft pick too - it's too easy to say Hugh Jessiman or Dylan McIlrath or Al Montoya.

Alex Bourret shouldn't count here either. We NEVER should have made that trade but Bourret never played a game for us.

I might go Wade Redden. When Chicago got Soupy Campbell for a meager 600k more per season (I know, not so meager at the time), and the list of FA D included a bunch of guys the Rangers needed more than a downsloping PPQB - and then seeing how much of an upswing the team was really on...spending like 14% of the cap on Redden feels like it deserves the eraser.

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1

Not getting Jagr signed at the end of his original Wash contact and just letting him go to play over in Russia for i believe another 4 years. Oh yeah forgot to tell the  players name. Glenn Sather. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LindG1000 said:

Oh, this is a fun one. Good call here, @Phil.

So many "just, fuck that guy" answers....Quintal, de Vries, Holik...

I'm trying to avoid a draft pick too - it's too easy to say Hugh Jessiman or Dylan McIlrath or Al Montoya.

Alex Bourret shouldn't count here either. We NEVER should have made that trade but Bourret never played a game for us.

I might go Wade Redden. When Chicago got Soupy Campbell for a meager 600k more per season (I know, not so meager at the time), and the list of FA D included a bunch of guys the Rangers needed more than a downsloping PPQB - and then seeing how much of an upswing the team was really on...spending like 14% of the cap on Redden feels like it deserves the eraser.

The worst part about the Redden deal was that the Rangers overbid like crazy to get him. He had an offer of like $5 million or something from Columbus, and the Rangers went "here's $6.5 million, let's get married." It was awful.

Patrick Kane. The previous Tarasenko/Mikkola trade was excellent and exactly what we needed. But then, instead of let the existing team settle in, we had to get another aging, injured superstar to sell more jerseys to people who no langer wanted to wear their jerseys with "E. Staal" on the back. During his "era", Kane never looked like his prime self, had a few stellar individual moments, but overall he brought more unrest into the system than benefit. 

Edited by Mistercosmic
  • Keeps it 100 1

2 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Wrong answer here

you mean Jagr and NYR hockey wasnt entertaining enough for you?  you needed a clown to make you laugh?  

And then people wonder why the NHL does not respect the rangers. 

Colin Campbell.  Think of what a good dynamic coach could have done with the roster he had.  Not a coincidence that no one ever even considered him for another coaching job.

Dan Boyle has got to rank highly, partly just because he was so representative of our proclivity, which persists to this day, of picking up guys who are clearly in decline and thinking we are going to get a good year out of them (yes, Reilly Smith).  

I'm reluctant to invoke Ken Hodge as it is simply a matter of a bad trade, which I think is a different thread.

For you old timers, Gilles Marrotte.  A real lug on defense and representative of the decline in the excellent defensive corps that the Cat had built.  He honed to a science the practice of screening your goalie.  Ozzy, you must remember that load.

Slats.  For the most part, 17 years of messing around.  It took him forever to get in the playoffs, and that was solely due to Hank, who was Maloney's doing as a draft pick.  In fact, without Hank, it would have been probably the worst tenure of that length for any GM.  It's a funny fickle business.  Slats and Tory had these incredible runs, partly lucky, and then were very unsuccessful for long periods.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Jozef Balej cost us Kovalev pt2.

Kovalev was so fucking bad here the second go around. And had an ego.

My pick is Brashear. I’ve seen a lot of guys I hated eventually put on a Ranger jersey. He was just impossible for me to root for. I remember him fighting Colton Orr at MSG his first month as a Ranger and the crowd wanted Orr to knock him the fuck out.