• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Pick One Ranger to Erase From Ever Happening

2 hours ago, Phil said:

I'm not sure he's quite my answer, but one name I keep coming back to is Eric Staal. Cost them Saarela + two second-round picks. Neither Saarela nor either of those picks turned into NHL players, which is relieving, but the player Staal was at the time, they paid a big price for a bag of nothing.

Would be easier to swallow if he was just toast and retired, but him then signing in Minnesota and putting up 111 goals and 240 points in 311 games including a 40 goal season was just a slap in the face. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Just now, Long live the King said:

Would be easier to swallow if he was just toast and retired, but him then signing in Minnesota and putting up 111 goals and 240 points in 311 games including a 40 goal season was just a slap in the face. 

Yup. I should have included that. Rangers gave up two second-rounders (again, glad they turned into nothing, but steep price) for a broke ass version of the player they thought they were getting, only to let him walk, after which he completely found his game again. NYR got hosed.

im no rangers historian...

but if we pretend kakko was never a thing, Buchnevich is still on the team and maybe we win a cup

Edited by Jdog99
  • The Chyt! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

27 minutes ago, Jdog99 said:

im no rangers historian...

but if we pretend kakko was never a thing, Buchnevich is still on the team and maybe we win a cup

Fuck. It's this. I'm erasing Kakko. Which is a difficult decision given how translucent he already is.

We could maybe technically make this same argument about Kravtsov, too. They cleared the decks for both those losers.

• Bullseye 1

Rick Nash.

You can’t miss on your high paid guys. They have to be your guys when it counts. Nash wasn’t the guy and he took up a ton of cap. He also cost a decent amount at the time to acquire. This is hindsight of course.

Panarin is trending this direction.

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Rick Nash.

You can’t miss on your high paid guys. They have to be your guys when it counts. Nash wasn’t the guy and he took up a ton of cap. He also cost a decent amount at the time to acquire. This is hindsight of course.

Panarin is trending this direction.

The issue with the Nash deal was when it was executed. They needed to make that trade at the 2012 deadline, not during the offseason. The main difference was the inclusion of Del Zotto while the Rangers would've kept Dubinsky. Losing both Anisimov and Dubinsky cut their depth in a way that necessitated trading Gaborik for replacements. There's a chance they do a bit better if they still had Dubinsky and cut Del Zotto loose sooner. You would also have Nash before Torts and Gaborik's situation went completely sour.

1 hour ago, Drew a Penalty said:

The issue with the Nash deal was when it was executed. They needed to make that trade at the 2012 deadline, not during the offseason. The main difference was the inclusion of Del Zotto while the Rangers would've kept Dubinsky. Losing both Anisimov and Dubinsky cut their depth in a way that necessitated trading Gaborik for replacements. There's a chance they do a bit better if they still had Dubinsky and cut Del Zotto loose sooner. You would also have Nash before Torts and Gaborik's situation went completely sour.

Yes I remember everyone got caught up overrating Del Zotto. Not unlike what I think is being done with Miller today.

• Keeps it 100 1

10 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yes I remember everyone got caught up overrating Del Zotto. Not unlike what I think is being done with Miller today.

They put him in the NHL entirely too early. Arguably the same can be said for Miller. This franchise loves shooting itself in the foot with prospects.

With Eric Staal the Rangers just got him at the wrong time. Giving up a prospect and two second rounders for what they got was bad enough. However, he was having a pretty down year from what I remember, so they got him cheaper than they would have normally. They were hoping coming here would give him a boost. It just didn't happen. Then he goes to Minnesota and is good again. It kind of reminds me of Kane a bit, where the whole acquisition was just miss-timed. They got Kane in a year where he wasn't healthy and was out for awhile. He doesn't return to the Rangers, gets healthy, and is productive again. lol

2 hours ago, siddious said:

They put him in the NHL entirely too early. Arguably the same can be said for Miller. This franchise loves shooting itself in the foot with prospects.

He had a really interesting set of interviews after he retired on a bunch of different podcasts.

I forget which one he was on where he talked about switching the power play and taking away the one-timer from Kotalik because Torts wasn't a fan of him. Then he talked about how moving to the off side and playing the right was the worst thing for him and he asked for a trade. 

The thing is he was never really highly rated prospect outside the Rangers. A lot of people thought he was the product of the team and power play he played on, with Tavares. 

Miller is completely different, he's much better all around player especially defensively. It's not even a comparison really, as far as him being overrated...he's projected to be on Team USA's Four Nations roster, many people consider that a precursor to the Olympics. I guess USA hockey overrates him?🤷‍♂️

https://www.nhl.com/news/team-usa-projected-roster-for-2025-nhl-4-nations-face-off

• Like 1
  • CK20! 2

2 hours ago, Keirik said:

Alexander Georgiev. We literally chose him over letting Henrik end his career the correct way. 

He’s on the list. He was such a bitter fuck. I get he was trying to carve his career. But unfortunately, Number 1 jobs aren’t just handed to people. He frowned, pouted and bitched and moaned his entire duration as a back-up to Igor, who carved himself out a quick resume in this league. He came off as a very me-first guy. I get it. He wanted the net. But appreciate the role you have, and don’t let it creep into your attitude to the point it becomes pretty obvious to even people who never enter the locker room. Total douchebag.

7 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

He’s on the list. He was such a bitter fuck. I get he was trying to carve his career. But unfortunately, Number 1 jobs aren’t just handed to people. He frowned, pouted and bitched and moaned his entire duration as a back-up to Igor, who carved himself out a quick resume in this league. He came off as a very me-first guy. I get it. He wanted the net. But appreciate the role you have, and don’t let it creep into your attitude to the point it becomes pretty obvious to even people who never enter the locker room. Total douchebag.

And he was right. He is starter material. He has a right to be me-first. So does everyone else.  Did you want him to be you-first, or Gordon-first.  Athletes’ careers are short, make your mark as soon as you can. 

1 hour ago, Albatrosss said:

And he was right. He is starter material. He has a right to be me-first. So does everyone else.  Did you want him to be you-first, or Gordon-first.  Athletes’ careers are short, make your mark as soon as you can. 

I agree with this, but I would also just say he didn't have to take it out on Igor. Basically consistently cold shouldered him.

19 minutes ago, Pete said:

I agree with this, but I would also just say he didn't have to take it out on Igor. Basically consistently cold shouldered him.

Were there reports that he was? I dont personally recall.  Maybe people think of him that way because his face doesnt show emotions. He never smiles or gung ho when the team wins. He never seemed happy when Igor won but I think its just his personality, doesn’t show emotions on his face. 
he’s the same way in Colorado. Doesnt show emotions at all. 

Edited by Albatrosss

54 minutes ago, Pete said:

Exactly.

Im not saying behind closed doors to voice his opinion that he wanted out and wanted an opportunity.

But it became so obvious even watching on TV and at games. Just came off immature.

Edited by RichieNextel305

1 hour ago, Albatrosss said:

Were there reports that he was? I dont personally recall.  Maybe people think of him that way because his face doesnt show emotions. He never smiles or gung ho when the team wins. He never seemed happy when Igor won but I think its just his personality, doesn’t show emotions on his face. 
he’s the same way in Colorado. Doesnt show emotions at all. 

In the context of this fanbase? And how they judge players?

We have people saying Mika is too sad, doesn't care, cares too much that he looks sad when he doesn't score and after losses. Kakko is now labeled as a "pouter"...Maybe because he had a shit season and he expects more from himself and hockey wasn't fun for him last year. But if he looked too happy there would be complaints about it, too. "Why's he so happy when he sucks?!?"

I used to get annoyed that Laffy would always be fucking around on the bench when he sucked, everyone can get caught up in that to some degree and could make you sour on a player.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

We have discussed this before, but I don't think it's fair to speculate on stuff like that(and for instance Nedved being "bullied" by Messier) as none of us were there and are depending on speculation to form opinions.

Where I do think it is fair to ding him is on his incapability to recognize that Igor was just straight-up a better goalie. The onus really should have been for Georgiev to raise his game or quietly have his agent request a trade. I know ego can tend to cloud athlete's judgements, but that in essence is the rub.