• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

On This Day in 2012, Rangers Acquired Rick Nash

Definitely he wasn't what I expected. I remember that day as it was yesterday. Cup I thought. I was overseas that day and my buddy the one we had season tix together called me. I was like Holly shit. Cup. Dynasty. None of that happened. I believe that was short season due to renegotiations of salary cup thing. Nash went overseas to play and came back injured.  And I believe that was first year of AV as headcoach

Edited by Art20c

34 minutes ago, phillyb said:

This is the guy front office thought they were getting:

I can't think of a more fun thing to scream than DICK RASH when a ranger scores. 

That was nice! 

I still remember when I finally saw the tweet that it was finally happening. I think we all knew it would likely happen that summer. But Scott Howson was on shrooms with some of his demands.

I remember as the details came creeping in. It was the structure many assumed all along (Dubinsky, Erixon, 1st) and then they said there was one more piece yet to be known. I was praying it wasn’t Hagelin. When I heard Anisimov, I remember breathing a sigh of relief. It was a very fair return.

I still say had we gotten Nash at the deadline, we win the Cup in 2012. Even including the 2014 and 2015 teams, I think that was the best team we had. Henrik was the best he ever was. Gaborik was the best he ever was. Callahan was the best he ever was. Richards, as a Ranger, was the best he ever was. We had good depth. We were good on the blue line. Good mix of everything. They didn’t know how to win yet. That’s what killed them in the playoffs. They let Ottawa, who was so comically inferior to them, take them to 7. They let Washington up off the mat after a 3OT home loss and a heartbreaking Game 5 loss and let them force that to 7. And by the time they got to face a Devils team that was hungry, they were out of gas. We were better than Jersey. They had more in the tank.

Nash came in and we all saw he had his issues with the playoffs. I think if he had come at the 2012 deadline and kind of been thrown right into the fray, it may have benefited him as opposed to coming in during the summer with the expectation of being the last piece. We needed extra scoring in the playoffs. Anismov had maybe 2 goals. Dubinsky barely played due to injury. Had Howson not asked for crazy packages like Kreider, McDonagh, Stepan, etc., maybe it does happen. But the deal that occurred is the one many expected it to be, with Anisimov being maybe a little bit of a surprise.

20 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

The stat line says enough....disappointing.

Thank God we got Steven Delisle though; silver lining....

You should have been here what the trade happened and we had a certain poster saying that the entire deal was based around Tim Erixon and we lost our best prospect when he was moved...

36 minutes ago, Pete said:

You should have been here what the trade happened and we had a certain poster saying that the entire deal was based around Tim Erixon and we lost our best prospect when he was moved...

It’s amazing to me how you guys remember such random things 🤣

feels like it’s been 2 decades since we had Nash. 

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

We still kind of won the trade anyway, even though Nash was disappointing at times, and in the postseason. Then they turned him into Ryan Lindgren. So, at the end of the day, it could have been much, much worse.

Oh, no doubt we won the trade. He had 145 goals in 375 games as a Ranger. Averages out to be about 32 goals over 82 games played. Obviously some seasons better than others.

I do wish we got to see more of the Rick Nash we all thought we were getting. After he got that concussion in San Jose in October of 2013, he stopped going as hard to the middle as he used to. He became much more lenient on his perimeter play instead of getting to the inside and using his size.

And he stunk in the playoffs. Yeah, his overall game was good. But we didn’t acquire him to be a good defender come crunch time. We got him to be a difference maker and more often than not, he didn’t score in the playoffs. That was disappointing and shocking.

But I liked Nash. Good guy. Low maintenance. Good player for us.

Edited by RichieNextel305

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I do wish we got to see more of the Rick Nash we all thought we were getting. After he got that concussion in San Jose in October of 2013, he stopped going as hard to the middle as he used to. He became much more lenient on his perimeter play instead of getting to the inside and using his size.

Good point.  Also, in February of the year he scored 42, he missed a few games with a knee injury and slumped for the rest of the regular season and playoffs.  Funny, if that puck goes in in the second OT of game 5 of the finals instead of hitting the shaft of a defender's stick by chance, he would be remembered differently.

I can't bring myself to feel bitter about one of the really good guys.  The antithesis of Dan Boyle.

Edited by Sod16

29 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

Good point.  Also, in February of the year he scored 42, he missed a few games with a knee injury and slumped for the rest of the regular season and playoffs.  Funny, if that puck goes in in the second OT of game 5 of the finals instead of hitting the shaft of a defender's stick by chance, he would be remembered differently.

I can't bring myself to feel bitter about one of the really good guys.  The antithesis of Dan Boyle.

Yeah. I wouldn’t think many would feel bitter about Nash. I have no ill will. I’d do the trade again. I just wish he would have stepped up and been better when the lights shined brightest for us.

Funny thing is that in 2013, when he first got here for the shortened year, he was great. He struggled big time in the playoffs against the Capitals and then only had 1 goal against Boston. So going down the stretch in 2014 and then into the playoffs, talk was about how we needed him to perform in big spots and really be a factor. We played in Columbus in late-March that year, and they were right with us in the division for playoff positioning (NYR, PHI, CBJ all together if I recall). So the game was huge for positioning and because it was Nash’s return to Columbus. And he played what was probably his most impactful, complete game as a Ranger. He was involved. He got in a fight. He scored a goal that was wiped out. He was physical. I remember when we scored an empty netter to seal it, he went nuts on the bench. I remember thinking and saying that that was the type of Rick Nash we needed to see more of. And unfortunately, he just didn’t bring it in the playoffs for whatever reason.

Edited by RichieNextel305

20 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

What can I say? It’s a gift.

Bites me in the ass when I forget things the wife says. Or shit at work. Pretty much just applies to the Rangers, lol.

What team did Dale Purinton score his first NHL goal against?

I actually remember it. lol

22 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Oh, no doubt we won the trade. He had 145 goals in 375 games as a Ranger. Averages out to be about 32 goals over 82 games played. Obviously some seasons better than others.

And he stunk in the playoffs. Yeah, his overall game was good. But we didn’t acquire him to be a good defender come crunch time. We got him to be a difference maker and more often than not, he didn’t score in the playoffs. That was disappointing and shocking.

But I liked Nash. Good guy. Low maintenance. Good player for us.

I liked him, too. I had no issue with the trade, and still don't. Even though he was bad in the playoffs, he wasn't necessarily a complete bust, like some may say. Like someone else said, if one or two shots go in for him in the Cup final, it changes a lot. 

3 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I liked him, too. I had no issue with the trade, and still don't. Even though he was bad in the playoffs, he wasn't necessarily a complete bust, like some may say. Like someone else said, if one or two shots go in for him in the Cup final, it changes a lot. 

He was just so snake bitten in those 2 deep playoff runs they had in back to back seasons.

I don’t remember the exact numbers but it’s something like 150 shots and I think 7 or 8 goals. Something like a shooting percentage of around 5%. 
His career shooting percentage is probably about 12% ish. 
That always smacked to me as way more bad luck than bad play. 

10 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

He was just so snake bitten in those 2 deep playoff runs they had in back to back seasons.

I don’t remember the exact numbers but it’s something like 150 shots and I think 7 or 8 goals. Something like a shooting percentage of around 5%. 
His career shooting percentage is probably about 12% ish. 
That always smacked to me as way more bad luck than bad play. 

That is true, yes. It makes his Rangers tenure look worse than it was. It's not like he didn't show up and/or 'choked'.

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

That is true, yes. It makes his Rangers tenure look worse than it was. It's not like he didn't show up and/or 'choked'.

He had so many premium scoring chances those 2 years, and it’s not like he flubbed them. They just weren’t going in for him. 
Bad luck.