• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

On This Day in 2012, Rangers Acquired Rick Nash

1 minute ago, RangersIn7 said:

He had so many premium scoring chances those 2 years, and it’s not like he flubbed them. They just weren’t going in for him. 
Bad luck. 

Indeed. A shame, too, especially after that amazing 2014 season when he topped 40 goals and was a force all year, only for that to happen in the biggest games.

3 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

What team did Dale Purinton score his first NHL goal against?

I actually remember it. lol

It was a Saturday night against Nashville. I only remember because Bure had a penalty shot goal against Vokoun earlier in the game. A 2-2 tie.

I think it’s fair to say he was a playoff choker. Track record is track record. I remember going into the 2015 playoffs thinking he was gonna really turn it up. He was so bad in 2014 in the playoffs (didn’t score until Game 1 of ECF) and responded with a big regular season. And yet again, just nothing. He grabbed a goal in garbage time the game we lost against Pittsburgh and then wasn’t heard from again until Game 6 in Washington. He did have a few garbage time goals in the TB series if I’m not mistaken. But again, he was brought in to be a horse and he just couldn’t deliver in the biggest spots.

I like the guy. I’d still do that trade again. But he did have issues in the playoffs.

49 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I think it’s fair to say he was a playoff choker. Track record is track record. I remember going into the 2015 playoffs thinking he was gonna really turn it up. He was so bad in 2014 in the playoffs (didn’t score until Game 1 of ECF) and responded with a big regular season. And yet again, just nothing. He grabbed a goal in garbage time the game we lost against Pittsburgh and then wasn’t heard from again until Game 6 in Washington. He did have a few garbage time goals in the TB series if I’m not mistaken. But again, he was brought in to be a horse and he just couldn’t deliver in the biggest spots.

I like the guy. I’d still do that trade again. But he did have issues in the playoffs.

Yeah.

I mean, it’s an understandable point of view on him. For his career, 90 games played, about 45 points and less than 20 goals. Just was never able to be very productive in those spots. 

Though I’ll reiterate that in the 2 deep playoff runs he had as a Ranger, he led the league in shots on goal in BOTH of those seasons. If you’re getting that many shots on goal, you’re likely doing the right things, and if I remember correctly, he was. I never had an issue with his effort of the quality of his play… he just couldn’t get them to go in. 

36 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Yeah.

I mean, it’s an understandable point of view on him. For his career, 90 games played, about 45 points and less than 20 goals. Just was never able to be very productive in those spots. 

Though I’ll reiterate that in the 2 deep playoff runs he had as a Ranger, he led the league in shots on goal in BOTH of those seasons. If you’re getting that many shots on goal, you’re likely doing the right things, and if I remember correctly, he was. I never had an issue with his effort of the quality of his play… he just couldn’t get them to go in. 

I think what hurt him, as I said earlier, was the fact that concussion he sustained in San Jose early in 2013-2014 really made him more of a perimeter guy as opposed to a guy who would take the puck to the net. That would have been big to be able to use in the playoffs.

46 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Yeah.

quality of his shots werent the same.  Like our memory savant Richie said, he stopped going to the net

2 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

quality of his shots werent the same.  Like our memory savant Richie said, he stopped going to the net

To an extent, yea, but he was still doing a lot of good things.

Not quite the same though, as you and Richie have mentioned, but still playing really good hockey all around.

Just not getting the breaks.

Again… for a guy who scored as much as he did, over 2 years of playoffs to shoot at 5% while leading the entire sport in shots on goal…a lot of that is just plain bad luck. 

5 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

To an extent, yea, but he was still doing a lot of good things.

Not quite the same though, as you and Richie have mentioned, but still playing really good hockey all around.

Just not getting the breaks.

Again… for a guy who scored as much as he did, over 2 years of playoffs to shoot at 5% while leading the entire sport in shots on goal…a lot of that is just plain bad luck. 

Its not bad luck when you shoot from unfavorable areas on the ice. 

On 7/25/2024 at 9:29 PM, Albatrosss said:

Its not bad luck when you shoot from unfavorable areas on the ice. 

Except that’s not what it was to the extreme degree that you’re saying it was.

To some extent, yes.

To full extent, no.