• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Sign Ryan Lindgren to 1 Year/$4.5m Deal; Avoid Arbitration

• RichieNextel305 changed the title to Rangers Sign Ryan Lindgren to 1 Year/$4.5m Deal; Avoid Arbitration

Solid. Exactly what I was hoping for. Gives them like five or six months to figure out if last year was an aberration or trend. If aberration, you can work on a longer-term extension. If trend, walk him to UFA.

Solid deal for 1 year.

Have the option of trading him at the deadline to add some draft capital since the Rangers are depleted for the near future of 2nds and/or free up cap space for the impending possible deals for Shesterkin, Lafreniere, and Miller.  

Looks like we're keeping our options open.  Next year's cap management is going to get wild, so I kinda expected something along these lines.  Hoping Lindy can stay healthy and play a solid season for us.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

Yeah.

But it’s that way for everyone now. 
Cap should be what? 95-100 million?

Next year? Will be $92 Million.

Have to assume that somehow and someway, they will lose Troubas money (at least some of it) before the start of the 25-26 season. Going to have to if they plan to re-sign both Lafreniere and Shesterkin. If Trouba refused to move, I think that next summer a buyout will be the play. They can’t carry him beyond this year. Feel pretty comfortable saying this will be his final year here regardless. Not trying to make it about Trouba all the time. But it’s a contract that will need to be addressed at some point since it didn’t work out this summer.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Next year? Will be $92 Million.

Have to assume that somehow and someway, they will lose Troubas money (at least some of it) before the start of the 25-26 season. Going to have to if they plan to re-sign both Lafreniere and Shesterkin. If Trouba refused to move, I think that next summer a buyout will be the play. They can’t carry him beyond this year. Feel pretty comfortable saying this will be his final year here regardless. Not trying to make it about Trouba all the time. But it’s a contract that will need to be addressed at some point since it didn’t work out this summer.

No Rich.

Im saying the cap now would be in the $95-100 million dollar range were it not for COVID and the flat cap. 
Drury knew he needed to move that contract. He tried. He got blocked. It is what it is. You just deal with it and hope Trouba bounces back and plays better.

3 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

No Rich.

Im saying the cap now would be in the $95-100 million dollar range were it not for COVID and the flat cap. 
Drury knew he needed to move that contract. He tried. He got blocked. It is what it is. You just deal with it and hope Trouba bounces back and plays better.

Read it wrong. Got it now.

I think he knew. And still knows.

Theres just no way he is on this team after this season. He can play his best season yet this upcoming year and he will still be gone.

I’m also of the belief he will give Shesterkin an extension. 

7 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Theres just no way he is on this team after this season. He can play his best season yet this upcoming year and he will still be gone.

I think everyone involved knows this. 

Trouba has character, however his loyalty lies with his family and not his team. Fair enough, however you'd hope he has enough pride and character to want to shove it up Drury's hoop with a monster year. 

Sadly I just don't think he has the tools to do it. 

Lindgren deserves this contract but I hate that it’s only a year.  This guy is what Trouba should be- loyal to the team, physical and just a good character guy all around.  He’s a true Ranger and once again we are seeing the impact of potentially the worst contract in the league(Trouba) come back to haunt this team.

17 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Brutal offseason for Drury. No two ways about that.

Landed nothing, really. And there’s a double digit AAV goalie contract coming next.

43 minutes ago, Phil said:

Landed nothing, really. And there’s a double digit AAV goalie contract coming next.

While I understand the point here, there is something to be said for being able to run back a team that won the President's Trophy and made the ECF in damn near its entirety. For all intents and purposes you're swapping Roslovic for Smith, Goodrow for Edstrom (I guess) - and you're banking on that to get you far enough to make the TDL add. I don't think we'll be a bad team by any stretch, but I do think that we're going to be in less of a runaway situation than we were last year.

We all know that the only way this was a successful offseason as improvements go was to move Trouba. It didn't happen. 

I wouldn't bet against Trouba moving at this point.  The early move for space in UFA did not happen.  There's still a lot of ground between now and opening day.

I don't think we have to win 50 games a year to win a Cup.  I'm cool with making the playoffs, filling some holes at the TDL, and making a run at it again.  We may not be a better team on paper going into this season,but I'm cool watching some guys step up and I would like to see them play better than they did last season.

Guys like Cuylle and the rest of the young guns.

We may even get a surprise from someone we didn't expect.  But basically I'm ok running this team back again.  I think they have the basic tools to win.  Either way, I really can't wait for the season to start....I'm fucking dying over here!!!  LOL

• Like 1

We're going to run into a Lightning or Panther type opponent before the finals.  That's where we faltered in the last two strong seasons.

Somehow, someway the Rangers need to become better at 5v5.  Otherwise it will all end again because we can't do the one thing well that all SCF teams do well.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Br4d said:

I wouldn't bet against Trouba moving at this point.  The early move for space in UFA did not happen.  There's still a lot of ground between now and opening day.

You'd be betting wrong.

It's not happenning. He's not waiving, and his agent already sowed the seeds of "you're not trading for a happy camper" all over the NHL. There's no team that's going to take on Trouba for the retention we need to make it worth it.