• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Athletic NHL Front Office Ratings

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5672796/2024/08/06/nhl-front-office-confidence-rankings-2024/

I didn't post this because it wasn't some insightful look at FO's- more for the lol's of how hard Ranger fans are on their own franchise vs the public perception. 

The Rangers are ranked 17th (NHL Fans had them at 10th, Ranger Fans had them at 23rd). Rangers fans are apparently the polar opposite of Habs fans, who think the franchise is without fault apparently. Caps and Flames fans may also be drunk.

17. New York Rangers

Screenshot-2024-08-05-at-10.55.52%E2%80%

Last year: 25th

“Cutting Goodrow and trying to trade Trouba was the kind of ruthless cap management that the Rangers have often struggled with. It definitely made me more confident in Drury.”

“It would be nice if the Rangers were able to hang on to their draft picks. Constantly trading away futures to patch holes in the roster is going to come back to haunt them.”

Hey, Rangers fans — relax a little bit, yeah? The team is elite, has gone to the conference finals in two of three years, has a fairly clean cap sheet and a strong core, and hasn’t made a whole lot of mistakes lately. What more do you want here?

36 minutes ago, Pete said:

There are no surprises here. "Fans"... We've seen some of those.

Thing is, this is true of anything. Any "fan versus public" assessment like this — trades, whatever, are going to be so much more harshly graded by fans because they tend not to have outside perspective. Everything is viewed in wins and losses.

The rest of the NHL: Oh, he's doing well, got those two ECF appearances, team looks pretty good
Rangers Fans: Fuck this idiot, sky is falling, he didn't make any moves and I can't point out any moves he should have made that fit within the cap structure, so FAIL AND FIRE THIS GUY

• Bullseye 2
  • Keeps it 100 3

We have 3 straight seasons finishing over 100 points, developed a strong core, made “go for it” trades 2 seasons ago that didn’t work out but we’re bold, 2 of 3 years being within 2 wins of the Finals. All while holding on to the tippy top of the prospect pool in Othmann and Perreault. Questions exist about whether or not this core can get over the top and actually win a Cup. Just about every team has those same questions so we aren’t alone there. But we’re going to have a few kicks at the can here. Another one with this current cast and then once their time is done (and either successful or not) then the next cast will be here (likely with Shesterkin and Lafreniere too) and will feature those 2 prospects, and Fox and then whatever the next big splash UFA/Trade is.

Point is, no team is perfectly positioned. We have our question marks, namely what the stance should be in regard to Igors extension. But if and when that’s done, we are in a spot where I think many teams in this league would love to be. Competing for a Cup, developing well through the system, could be sunny today and could be sunny tomorrow.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RichieNextel305 said:

We have 3 straight seasons finishing over 100 points, developed a strong core, made “go for it” trades 2 seasons ago that didn’t work out but we’re bold, 2 of 3 years being within 2 wins of the Finals. All while holding on to the tippy top of the prospect pool in Othmann and Perreault. Questions exist about whether or not this core can get over the top and actually win a Cup. Just about every team has those same questions so we aren’t alone there. But we’re going to have a few kicks at the can here. Another one with this current cast and then once their time is done (and either successful or not) then the next cast will be here (likely with Shesterkin and Lafreniere too) and will feature those 2 prospects, and Fox and then whatever the next big splash UFA/Trade is.

Point is, no team is perfectly positioned. We have our question marks, namely what the stance should be in regard to Igors extension. But if and when that’s done, we are in a spot where I think many teams in this league would love to be. Competing for a Cup, developing well through the system, could be sunny today and could be sunny tomorrow.

This is all true.

And you’re not a champion until you’re a champion.

And until that day comes, every team has those questions to answer and the doubts that come with them until they are dispelled. 

They’re very good. Good enough to go deep. 
The 2x’s they’ve lost in the ECF, they’ve ran into the 1 team that had the best shot at beating them in those respective series. 
Like most teams, winning it all does eventually require luck… a favorable matchup at the right time, catching a team under the right time, etc. 

Ill again cite Florida’s run to the SCF vs Vegas and then the SCF for Vegas vs Florida in 2023.

Florida doesn’t get past Boston if Bergeron is healthy.

Vegas doesn’t dismantle Florida if Florida is healthy.

And I know every team deals with guys playing through stuff at that time of year… but there’s a limit to what a team can actually overcome. 

16 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

This is all true.

And you’re not a champion until you’re a champion.

And until that day comes, every team has those questions to answer and the doubts that come with them until they are dispelled. 

They’re very good. Good enough to go deep. 
The 2x’s they’ve lost in the ECF, they’ve ran into the 1 team that had the best shot at beating them in those respective series. 
Like most teams, winning it all does eventually require luck… a favorable matchup at the right time, catching a team under the right time, etc. 

Ill again cite Florida’s run to the SCF vs Vegas and then the SCF for Vegas vs Florida in 2023.

Florida doesn’t get past Boston if Bergeron is healthy.

Vegas doesn’t dismantle Florida if Florida is healthy.

And I know every team deals with guys playing through stuff at that time of year… but there’s a limit to what a team can actually overcome. 

Yep. I think people underestimate how much luck plays a part in winning.

In 2014, after we came back and beat Pittsburgh, Montreal and Boston played a Game 7. The truth of the matter is this: if Boston wins that Game 7 at home, I think they probably wipe the floor with us in the ECF. They were a meaner and bigger version of the Kings. And they were a bad matchup for us. They beat us all 3 times we played that regular season, rather easily, if I recall. We got lucky to have Montreal win that series. It was a much more favorable matchup, and they blew their load knocking off their biggest rivals in Boston. 

Luck comes into the equation. Had Boston beaten Florida this year, I do think we beat Boston. So, again, luck played a role. And you have to roll with the punches. 

4 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Yep. I think people underestimate how much luck plays a part in winning.

In 2014, after we came back and beat Pittsburgh, Montreal and Boston played a Game 7. The truth of the matter is this: if Boston wins that Game 7 at home, I think they probably wipe the floor with us in the ECF. They were a meaner and bigger version of the Kings. And they were a bad matchup for us. They beat us all 3 times we played that regular season, rather easily, if I recall. We got lucky to have Montreal win that series. It was a much more favorable matchup, and they blew their load knocking off their biggest rivals in Boston. 

Luck comes into the equation. Had Boston beaten Florida this year, I do think we beat Boston. So, again, luck played a role. And you have to roll with the punches. 

If my grandmother had balls, she'd be my grandfather.  if Panarin had shaved his head 2 season ago.......

If Zibby wasnt such a bitch last playoffs....

If Fox wasnt injured...

If Drury actually trade for someone useful...

If Pete was a nice guy.....

If Brooks wasnt responsible for rangers trade mishaps.....

Luck is definitely plays a big role but you can not depend on luck, you have to improve your team and Drury really hasnt in preparation for last season's POs

19 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

If my grandmother had balls, she'd be my grandfather.  if Panarin had shaved his head 2 season ago.......

If Fox wasnt injured...

Luck is definitely plays a big role but you can not depend on luck, you have to improve your team and Drury really hasnt in preparation for last season's POs

That's a lot of IFs.

41 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

If Fox wasnt injured...

They were the best regular season team in the league last season and they got an upgrade in every area they needed it (Chytil 3C, Smith RW, Trouba move down the lineup for a better internal options).

Even if all of those upgrades are by a razor thin margin, they only lost by a razor thin margin. I don't care about analytics, I only care about how many pucks went in, and they lost every game by a goal. 

I don't know it for a fact because nobody can, but it certainly looks like free agents don't look at New York as a desired destination anymore. 

Once Trouba trade options fell through and word got out about how the players felt about it, there was only so much Drury could do.

I don't know what "fans" were expecting. 

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

They were the best regular season team in the league last season and they got an upgrade in every area they needed it (Chytil 3C, Smith RW, Trouba move down the lineup for a better internal options).

Smith was acquired this summer and we're yet to see how much of an asset he is.  Chytil was not an upgrade last trade deadline. two players that drury traded for were total crap. 

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

Even if all of those upgrades are by a razor thin margin, they only lost by a razor thin margin. I don't care about analytics, I only care about how many pucks went in, and they lost every game by a goal. 

sometimes you care about analytics, sometimes you dont care about analytics.  

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't know it for a fact because nobody can, but it certainly looks like free agents don't look at New York as a desired destination anymore.

hot take

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

Once Trouba trade options fell through and word got out about how the players felt about it, there was only so much Drury could do.

I don't know what "fans" were expecting

you're a better fan than any of us.  you're looking for some kind of a prize?

• The Chyt! 1

1 hour ago, Albatrosss said:

If Fox wasnt injured...

I mean, you are really taking what I said out of context here. Lol.

All I said is that luck plays a role.

You can build the team of your dreams up all you want. At some point, you need some luck to fall your way.

In my opinion, the only team that could have taken the Rangers out in a 7-game series was Florida. The Rangers running into a bad matchup doesn’t make the Rangers a bad team. Or that Drury has done a bad job building a team. If’s and luck and bounces make it all up. We can all play fantasy hockey in our heads until we’re blue in the face. But in order to win it all, you do need to have some luck going your way.

All I meant.

Edited by RichieNextel305

3 hours ago, Phil said:

Thing is, this is true of anything. Any "fan versus public" assessment like this — trades, whatever, are going to be so much more harshly graded by fans because they tend not to have outside perspective. Everything is viewed in wins and losses.

Bro that's what I keep saying ... The people who whine about this team would whine about any team they'd watch over 82 games. 

They aren't "fans" of the team. They're "fans" of their own ideologies and if the team doesn't follow through on what they think is right, they just shit on the team.

36 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

Smith was acquired this summer and we're yet to see how much of an asset he is. 

Anyone who can skate is better than Wheeler or Roslovic. Smith's analytics are great. 

Chytil was not an upgrade last trade deadline.

Why would you think he would be after missing the whole season? 

two players that drury traded for were total crap. 

Okay. Who cares? 

sometimes you care about analytics, sometimes you dont care about analytics.  

Because sometimes they matter, and sometimes they don't. In a race to win 16 games, too small of a sample size to give a shit about. It only matters if you win the game or don't. You have to keep perspective with some of this stuff, and it's pretty clear that some people don't. 

hot take

Cool story 

you're a better fan than any of us. 

Yes.

you're looking for some kind of a prize?

No.

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

Bro that's what I keep saying ... The people who whine about this team would whine about any team they'd watch over 82 games. 

They aren't "fans" of the team. They're "fans" of their own ideologies and if the team doesn't follow through on what they think is right, they just shit on the team.

I mean, maybe, but I'm saying that even "fans" of the team — whatever that means to you or how you define it — are going to be harder on their own team than the general public. If someone polled you and I on the state of the Anaheim Ducks, do you think we'd be remotely as angry and impatient as actual fans who are furious that this rebuild is never ending? Or Sabres fans? Or Red Wings fans, etc?

I'm just saying that, at least in my experience, fans tend to be way harder on all aspects of their own team than a general public would be, or even other front offices might be.

43 minutes ago, Phil said:

I mean, maybe, but I'm saying that even "fans" of the team — whatever that means to you or how you define it — are going to be harder on their own team than the general public. If someone polled you and I on the state of the Anaheim Ducks, do you think we'd be remotely as angry and impatient as actual fans who are furious that this rebuild is never ending? Or Sabres fans? Or Red Wings fans, etc?

I'm just saying that, at least in my experience, fans tend to be way harder on all aspects of their own team than a general public would be, or even other front offices might be.

How is that different than what I'm saying? 

When Rangers fans look at other teams and act all jealous and say they wish their team was run like that.... Those same people would be bitching if they watch that team day in and day out. 

Some people just like to bitch. 

People like to point at Matthew Tkachuk like he some type of hockey god and Florida was so genius for having him dumped in their lap... Guy scored one goal in the last month of games they played. 

Those are the people that bitch about Panarin.

Some people are never going to be happy without a championship, and if you're watching sports for that reason then you're already in for a lifetime of pain if that's how you judge what good is. 

Edited by Pete

3 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

If Fox wasnt injured...

2 hours ago, Scott said:

That's a lot of IFs.

2 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

those are BIG ifs

I won’t speak for what anyone else is saying, but on my behalf…

IM NOT DEPENDING ON LUCK!

Luck doesn’t outright win you a Stanley Cup.

But that doesn’t mean you can’t benefit from it. Or don’t need it from time to time.

Luck, fortuitous circumstances, timely bounces, favorable calls, a bad break for your opponent, etc.

These things exist in reality and are tangible. 

And when you get it, it benefits your cause and what you endeavor towards.

Yet another example…

If a Zuccarello doesn’t get hit in the head by a McDonagh shot in Game 5 of the 1st round vs Pittsburgh in the 14-15 Playoffs, due to him being hunched over because he’s going to the net and Chorney hit him and he bent down somewhat, the Rangers likely have him healthy.

They probably beat Washington in less than 7 games.

And it surely gives them a much better shot vs Tampa, who hadn’t won anything to that point, in the ECF.

Alas, he got hurt. It cost them. They were missing a guy who was a huge piece and vital to the success of what with him, Nash, and Brassard, was their best line.

I believe at full strength, they beat Tampa that year.

And they’d have been a very tough out for Chicago in the SCF that year.

They played Chicago twice that year. Both games came in a 10-day span in March.

Beat them 1-0 in OT in Chicago.

Lost 1-0 on a late 3rd period goal in NY.

Also, Lundqvist was hurt and Talbot played both games. 

Luck and circumstances play a major role.