• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Athletic NHL Front Office Ratings

1 hour ago, Pete said:

How is that different than what I'm saying? 

When Rangers fans look at other teams and act all jealous and say they wish their team was run like that.... Those same people would be bitching if they watch that team day in and day out. 

Some people just like to bitch. 

People like to point at Matthew Tkachuk like he some type of hockey god and Florida was so genius for having him dumped in their lap... Guy scored one goal in the last month of games they played. 

Those are the people that bitch about Panarin.

Some people are never going to be happy without a championship, and if you're watching sports for that reason then you're already in for a lifetime of pain if that's how you judge what good is. 

...so, me, then.

Yay, pain!

• Eyeballs 1

2 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I mean, you are really taking what I said out of context here. Lol.

All I said is that luck plays a role.

You can build the team of your dreams up all you want. At some point, you need some luck to fall your way.

In my opinion, the only team that could have taken the Rangers out in a 7-game series was Florida. The Rangers running into a bad matchup doesn’t make the Rangers a bad team. Or that Drury has done a bad job building a team. If’s and luck and bounces make it all up. We can all play fantasy hockey in our heads until we’re blue in the face. But in order to win it all, you do need to have some luck going your way.

All I meant.

do you think Florida was in some way lucky to win this year?  im not so sure.  they were the best

1 hour ago, Pete said:

How is that different than what I'm saying? 

When Rangers fans look at other teams and act all jealous and say they wish their team was run like that.... Those same people would be bitching if they watch that team day in and day out. 

Some people just like to bitch. 

People like to point at Matthew Tkachuk like he some type of hockey god and Florida was so genius for having him dumped in their lap... Guy scored one goal in the last month of games they played. 

Those are the people that bitch about Panarin.

Some people are never going to be happy without a championship, and if you're watching sports for that reason then you're already in for a lifetime of pain if that's how you judge what good is. 

And to cite Tkachuk as a specific example, it’s not as if the trade and player we are “looking for” is always available, or is commonplace, and easy and cheap to acquire.

Florida gave up an elite player in his prime off an MVP caliber season in which he was runner up in scoring. Plus a player in Weegar who is a top-4 RHD on basically any team in the league and, BTW, just had a 20-goal, 50+ point season on a team that missed the playoffs. Plus a 1st round pick. Plus another piece to boot. 

People complain about Drury not adding better pieces than Roslovic and Wennberg at the deadline… without actually knowing who else he could have reasonably gotten or what the cost in acquisition would have been, and how that would have affected the team and its outcome. 

And we can also talk about regular season stuff and how they’re great over 82 but that doesn’t mean anything and blah blah blah.

Which is also bullshit that ignores the fact that you still have to be good over 82. You still have to get there. You’ll at some point have to beat good teams and have your best players play well in order to get there, and seeding is helpful too, and you earn your playoff spot and seed in those 82. 

It’s a full picture.

Many things are required.

Lets not lose sight of that. 

12 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

do you think Florida was in some way lucky to win this year?  im not so sure.  they were the best

They were the best. 

They also had a ton of luck. 

It doesn't have to be one or the other. Most times it's both. 

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Anyone who can skate is better than Wheeler or Roslovic. Smith's analytics are great

yet to see if he can get the 2nd line going. all im sayin.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Why would you think he would be after missing the whole season?

you mentioned him as an upgrade

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Okay. Who cares?

what do you mean?  I do. So does everyone else who cares if the team wins or loses.  last year's team had arguably the best chance to go all the way.  Drury got two fucking deadbeats to fill the holes.  That's a major failure on his part.  No matter what the reason is or the circumstances are.  He did not assess this team correctly and the fact they had their best chance.  

2 hours ago, Pete said:

this is a crazy statement.  Fans want their team to win.  No one is happy with losing.  no fan is rooting for a sports team and says "hey, they won 20 or whatever games, that's good enough for me".   if you're ok with your team not winning a championship and just gives you entertainment, dont mock 99.9% of fans who are not happy with losing.  sports is not for you, try Cirque Du Soleil

• LMFAO 1

21 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

yet to see if he can get the 2nd line going. all im sayin.

you mentioned him as an upgrade

what do you mean?  I do. So does everyone else who cares if the team wins or loses.  last year's team had arguably the best chance to go all the way.  Drury got two fucking deadbeats to fill the holes.  That's a major failure on his part.  No matter what the reason is or the circumstances are.  He did not assess this team correctly and the fact they had their best chance.  

Who else could he have gotten?

Was that player(s) actually better?

What was the price to acquire?

Would paying that price subtracted from or taken off the roster in a way that would have hurt them? 
Did he have a deal in place for a player that was maybe better or more appealing, but that deal got beat and he couldn’t/wouldn’t pay more?

5 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Who else could he have gotten?

Was that player(s) actually better?

What was the price to acquire?

Would paying that price subtracted from or taken off the roster in a way that would have hurt them? 
Did he have a deal in place for a player that was maybe better or more appealing, but that deal got beat and he couldn’t/wouldn’t pay more?

we dont know.  we can only judge by what he did.  and IMO he failed last trade deadline.  The team had their best chance in a decade and Drury got two fucking figure skaters to take us all the way.  

46 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

this is a crazy statement.  Fans want their team to win.  No one is happy with losing.  no fan is rooting for a sports team and says "hey, they won 20 or whatever games, that's good enough for me".   if you're ok with your team not winning a championship and just gives you entertainment, dont mock 99.9% of fans who are not happy with losing.  sports is not for you, try Cirque Du Soleil

You need to understand the difference between "happy with" and "getting over it".

They have a name for it, perspective. 

1 hour ago, Albatrosss said:

That's a major failure on his part.  No matter what the reason is or the circumstances are. 

This is the only crazy statement in this thread. 

41 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

we dont know.  we can only judge by what he did.  and IMO he failed last trade deadline.  The team had their best chance in a decade and Drury got two fucking figure skaters to take us all the way.  

Yeah… I get that. And it’s not untrue. It’s a valid opinion to have.
But it’s also based on incomplete data. 
And it ignores a lot of relevant circumstances which are real and impact outcome and thus, can’t be ignored, IMO. 
It lacks perspective. And perspective is needed. 

Keep in mind… this isn’t Drury’s group.

It’s primarily Gorton’s. He wasn’t the shot caller when this team was, for the most part, put together. 
We all know that there are guys on this roster, that he didn’t bring here, doesn’t want here, or are paid too much, has tried to unload, or upgrade on, etc. 

He is apparently playing a longer game here. 

Edited by RangersIn7

1 hour ago, Pete said:

You need to understand the difference between "happy with" and "getting over it".

They have a name for it, perspective. 

There’s no perspective in sports. Its either win or lose.  Perspective is giving out participation awards 

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

Yeah… I get that. And it’s not untrue. It’s a valid opinion to have.
But it’s also based on incomplete data. 
And it ignores a lot of relevant circumstances which are real and impact outcome and thus, can’t be ignored, IMO. 
It lacks perspective. And perspective is needed. 

Keep in mind… this isn’t Drury’s group.

It’s primarily Gorton’s. He wasn’t the shot caller when this team was, for the most part, put together. 
We all know that there are guys on this roster, that he didn’t bring here, doesn’t want here, or are paid too much, has tried to unload, or upgrade on, etc. 

He is apparently playing a longer game here. 

It doesn’t matter if its Drury’s group or not. The team had a great chance to win, he should’ve done all he could to give them the best chance. 

12 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

There’s no perspective in sports. Its either win or lose.  Perspective is giving out participation awards 

There's perspective when you're not the one playing. 

And there's perspective when it's not the most important thing in your life.

Drury hasn't done much in three years.  His most significant trade was Buchnevich for Blais.  Terrible.  Nemeth was a bad signing.  Trocheck and Quick were good signings.  Deadline rentals more bad than good (Copp and Vatrano versus Wenneberg, Roslovic, Tarasenko and Kane).

There's a lot of talk about three straight 100 point seasons.  Going back a number of years, I don't really see much front office prowess behind that.  I see being gifted Panarin and Fox on account of being the New York Rangers as being what's primarily behind that.

8 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

Do I think they were lucky? No. They played a heavy, aggressive brand of hockey. They were at or near the top of the standings all year. Just like Boston. Just like Carolina. The Rangers finished ahead of all 3 of those teams. They disposed of Carolina. I think they beat Boston too. Florida was the only 1 of the 3 that beats the Rangers in a playoff series IMO. And that’s the hand that was dealt. Again, I’m not making it out to be that it’s all luck. But matchups matter. In a 7-game series in particular. That’s really all I’m trying to say here.

Edited by RichieNextel305

The ratings tell me that most Rangers fans who are passionate enough to read The Athletic, are knowledgable enough (and honest) about what they are seeing. They also seem to have the perspective that winning championships during a supposed championship window is the defacto way to grade a franchise. If you don’t win when you are supposed to, the ratings should reflect that, and they do here.

The public lacks perspective because they do not watch the team on a daily basis. Who cares that a random Blue Jackets fan thinks that we have it nice just to make the playoffs because their team fucking sucks forwards, backwards, and sideways. Lol. That mentality is for losers who get maximum enjoyment out of wins in November and December.

3 straight 100 point seasons.

2 ECF appearances last 3 years

Since lockout, only missed playoffs 4 out of 19 seasons.

President's Trophy winner last season

Rangers "fans"..."This team sucks, what a loser franchise!"

:Looks at Blue Jackets, Coyotes, Buffalo:

Extra Terrestrial Ufo GIF by DefyTV

People claiming you're a loser franchise unless you win a championship also claiming to have perspective is fucking hilarious. It's so comedic, they made a movie about it. 

If You Aint First Youre Last Will Ferrell GIF by StickerGiant

Edited by Pete

Florida was the best team last season.  They were better at 5v5 and their special teams were really good also.

That's why many of us didn't want to face them at any point in the playoffs.  They were just going to have the Ranger's number whenever they matched up.

Tough team to play against.

3 hours ago, Pete said:

3 straight 100 point seasons.

2 ECF appearances last 3 years

Since lockout, only missed playoffs 4 out of 19 seasons.

President's Trophy winner last season

Rangers "fans"..."This team sucks, what a loser franchise!"

:Looks at Blue Jackets, Coyotes, Buffalo:

Extra Terrestrial Ufo GIF by DefyTV

People claiming you're a loser franchise unless you win a championship also claiming to have perspective is fucking hilarious. It's so comedic, they made a movie about it. 

If You Aint First Youre Last Will Ferrell GIF by StickerGiant

you sound like Mike about Trump

10 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Do I think they were lucky? No. They played a heavy, aggressive brand of hockey. They were at or near the top of the standings all year. Just like Boston. Just like Carolina. The Rangers finished ahead of all 3 of those teams. They disposed of Carolina. I think they beat Boston too. Florida was the only 1 of the 3 that beats the Rangers in a playoff series IMO. And that’s the hand that was dealt. Again, I’m not making it out to be that it’s all luck. But matchups matter. In a 7-game series in particular. That’s really all I’m trying to say here.

I agree and over 7 game series it takes a lot more than luck to win.  Usually the best team rises to the top. 

Now tell us who scored the game winning goal in 2011-2012 vs Devils in December?