• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Blues Tender Offer Sheets to Oilers' Holloway and Broberg; Oilers Don't Match

• Flynn changed the title to Offer Sheets!!!! Blues Tender Offers to Oilers Holloway and Broberg
  • Phil changed the title to Blues Tender Offer Sheets to Oilers' Holloway and Broberg

Probably a good move by the Blues.  We should have offer sheets given every season to at least a few free agents.  That this does not happen suggests collusion among the owners.

4 hours ago, Br4d said:

Probably a good move by the Blues.  We should have offer sheets given every season to at least a few free agents.  That this does not happen suggests collusion among the owners.

I guess you’d be ok with teams giving offer sheet to Laf 

12 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

I'd bet the Rangers would lock up Laf long before that happened.

The two guys offer-sheeted above were young two-way players bouncing between the AHL and the NHL.  Those guys should not be road-blocked the way they are.

On 8/13/2024 at 7:57 PM, Albatrosss said:

If Laf is getting offer sheeted, it probably falls in the $6,871,374 - $9,161,834 range of which the compensation is (1) 1st-round pick, (1) 2nd-round pick, (1) 3rd-round pick. Anything below that, we can match and have him at a bargain.

Would you trade him for a (1) 1st-round pick, (1) 2nd-round pick, (1) 3rd-round pick? I don't know; depending on where that first round pick is projected to land, I just might given that this team's window is closing in 1-2 years and will probably be a retool for the next 2-3 seasons after that.  

4 hours ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

If Laf is getting offer sheeted, it probably falls in the $6,871,374 - $9,161,834 range of which the compensation is (1) 1st-round pick, (1) 2nd-round pick, (1) 3rd-round pick. Anything below that, we can match and have him at a bargain.

Would you trade him for a (1) 1st-round pick, (1) 2nd-round pick, (1) 3rd-round pick? I don't know; depending on where that first round pick is projected to land, I just might given that this team's window is closing in 1-2 years and will probably be a retool for the next 2-3 seasons after that.  

For a 1st, 2nd &  3rd is debatable.

If he was offer sheeted the next tier up I would take the compensation of two 1st, 2nd & a 3rd.

4 hours ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

not interested in picks.  would keep Laf 

19 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

For a 1st, 2nd &  3rd is debatable.

If he was offer sheeted the next tier up I would take the compensation of two 1st, 2nd & a 3rd.

I wouldn't. Picks are lottery tickets. He's too young to give him away for lottery tickets. 

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

I wouldn't. Picks are lottery tickets. He's too young to give him away for lottery tickets. 

What Lafraniere does this season will go a long way in determining if it's worth matching or not and how much he will be offered.

I'm not totally convinced he's going to become a star.  Hopefully his first few seasons were an aberration and he improves on this past season.  There's still a lot of games when you don't realize he's even playing.

1 hour ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

What Lafraniere does this season will go a long way in determining if it's worth matching or not and how much he will be offered.

I'm not totally convinced he's going to become a star.  Hopefully his first few seasons were an aberration and he improves on this past season.  There's still a lot of games when you don't realize he's even playing.

It's hard to score close to 30 goals in this league with no power play time without significant talent. 

Sure, he's playing with the best player on the team, and that player won't be here forever to carry him however at that point he will be getting power play time which should offset the loss.

16 minutes ago, Pete said:

It's hard to score close to 30 goals in this league with no power play time without significant talent. 

Sure, he's playing with the best player on the team, and that player won't be here forever to carry him however at that point he will be getting power play time which should offset the loss.

He also played pretty much the entire year with 2 guys that had career years.  There's definitely talent there.  But is he a good player or a star?  It's still to be seen.

Keep Laf if he gets offer-sheeted in that range. I’m with Pete on this one. Picks are lottery picks. There is absolutely no guarantee you get anything back with those picks to offset Laf’s production. Don’t 3rd rounders have a 1% chance of making the league? Lol. No thanks. 

• Cheers 1

I don't give it too much thought when it comes to guys I have to look up when they are the subject of the thread.  Doesn't seem like much of a comparison when throwing Laf or any other top guy for that matter into the conversation.  Whole different ball game when it comes to reaching for stars. Just my 2 cents. Keep the change. 

13 hours ago, phillyb said:

Keep Laf if he gets offer-sheeted in that range. I’m with Pete on this one. Picks are lottery picks. There is absolutely no guarantee you get anything back with those picks to offset Laf’s production. Don’t 3rd rounders have a 1% chance of making the league? Lol. No thanks. 

It's more like 27%, that go on to play more than 99 games. 

https://dobberprospects.com/2020/05/16/nhl-draft-pick-probabilities/

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

He also played pretty much the entire year with 2 guys that had career years.  There's definitely talent there.  But is he a good player or a star?  It's still to be seen.

Not only he’s a future star but also a future captain.

lots of players played with Panarin and didnt do shit. 

Well, if the offer sheet aparatus is never to be used, it shouldn't be in the CBA.  This is a rare example of it being viable, with a team that simply does not have the space to sign a couple of guys.  It's the Oilers own fault for not making the painful but necessary trades after the season.  Teams engage in painful salary dumps all of the time.

• Keeps it 100 1

53 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

You don't trade Lafreniere's.

That's how I'm feeling at the moment.

Unless something goes really wrong Laf is headed for a 1,200 pt career and you really don't want to trade the next 1k pts for anything because odds say you're going to lose on the deal.