• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Legendary Rangers Voice Sam Rosen Retiring After Next Season — His 40th in Team's Booth

We were eating good as Rangers fans having he and JD together in the booth for so long, and just for Sam himself as long as did. Going back to the 90's when I was just getting into hockey, you couldn't have asked for a better pairing when it came to calling games and learning about the game, too.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Been listening to Sam since day one.  I get all the sentimental attachment but if you listened to him over all this time his game has fallen off tremendously and now it's completely run it's course imo. Longevity doesn't equal any good at this point.  He's had a long run but it should of ended a few years back. I hope you guys that like him so much enjoy his last season.  They've gotten all the "good" out of Sam, may he enjoy his time away after this next season comes to an end. May we be blessed with a breath of fresh air who's in their prime.

Edited by Scott
  • Like 2

On 8/13/2024 at 4:42 PM, RichieNextel305 said:

Personally, I hope Bob Wischusen gets a look. 

I would take him over Kenny Albert.  As for, "and this one will last a lifetime," I thought it was dumb and a hex immediately the first time I heard it.  I've always held that against Sam.  It only has to last a lifetime if there is never another one.  What were you thinking, Sam?

18 hours ago, Scott said:

Been listening to Sam since day one.  I get all the sentimental attachment but if you listened to him over all this time his game has fallen off tremendously and now it's completely run it's course imo. Longevity doesn't equal any good at this point.  He's had a long run but it should of ended a few years back. I hope you guys that like him so much enjoy his last season.  They've gotten all "good" out of Sam, may he enjoy his time away after this next season comes to an end. May we be blessed with a breath of fresh air who's in their prime.

We’ve had about 5 seasons of this. 

• LMFAO 1
  • Cheers 1

On 8/15/2024 at 8:31 AM, Sharpshooter said:

We were eating good as Rangers fans having he and JD together in the booth for so long, and just for Sam himself as long as did. Going back to the 90's when I was just getting into hockey, you couldn't have asked for a better pairing when it came to calling games and learning about the game, too.

Transitioned from Richter to Hank to Igor. Transitioned from JD to Joe.

We’ve had it good in those regards.

I just can’t wrap my head around Sam not calling games. That guys voice is the soundtrack of the winter for us.

• Bullseye 1

Just now, RichieNextel305 said:

Transitioned from Richter to Hank to Igor. Transitioned from JD to Joe.

We’ve had it good in those regards.

I just can’t wrap my head around Sam not calling games. That guys voice is the soundtrack of the winter for us.

It's definitely going to take some "getting used to", Richie!!!

The one major thing about Sam is that he's a Rangers fan himself, and I love when he goes ballistic when we score.  When I watch the games on ESPN and TNT I know the announcers have to be fair and not show any favoritism, but that to me is boring, and we get enough tough love from guys like Ferraro and Eddie O.

Sam is a homer, and I like it that way!  He's OUR homer though, and that's made it such a great run.  There's probably gonna be a night when we wish we had him back there for one more game!  Those are gonna be some pretty big shoes to fill!

• Bullseye 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2024 at 8:24 AM, Pete said:

It is kind of sad that this thread turned into a debate around who should replace him, rather than a celebration of a long, remarkable career. 

We’ve got all season to celebrate and enjoy him. 
It’s just a boring summer. Can’t blame people for talking along logical and obvious lines. 

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

We’ve got all season to celebrate and enjoy him. 
It’s just a boring summer. Can’t blame people for talking along logical and obvious lines. 

Yes I can. And I will. 

Edited by Pete

He's lost his fastball.. But his voice will always be synonymous with Rangers hockey to me.. All of the moments, sadness sprinkled with terrific joy, had Sam's voice tied to it. I will miss hearing him. 

• Like 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

Took some getting used to when JD left. This is like the end of an era. So many nights spent listening to him call games. Gunna take a while to feel at home and comfortable again listening to whoever replaces him.

• Like 1

Should the Rangers have a deep run, it will be kind of weird for him to just stop doing games once the national broadcasts get exclusive rights to the games. I want him to do every last one, until they are eliminated from the playoffs. If they get past the first round, it will be odd to just have to say goodbye to Sam early in a playoff run, you know what I mean? I guess he could still do them on radio, which is better than nothing.