• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Legendary Rangers Voice Sam Rosen Retiring After Next Season — His 40th in Team's Booth

Giannone isn’t a play-by-play guy. He’s a fill-in but I think they don’t view him as the future there. He does a good job in-between the benches but I think that’s it. I’d imagine it’s likely Kenny Albert, or like I said, maybe someone like Bob Wischusen. The only way it’s not Kenny is if he declines it because of his hectic schedule not only with the NHL in terms of national games but also with the NFL.

• Keeps it 100 1

9 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Giannone isn’t a play-by-play guy. He’s a fill-in but I think they don’t view him as the future there. He does a good job in-between the benches but I think that’s it. I’d imagine it’s likely Kenny Albert, or like I said, maybe someone like Bob Wischusen. The only way it’s not Kenny is if he declines it because of his hectic schedule not only with the NHL in terms of national games but also with the NFL.

Sam did it all in his prime and even boxing. 

I was talking to my buddy before and we realized how old we’re getting and how sad it is to see these guys go.

Bob Shepherd and John Sterling,

Sam Rosen.

these are voices you automatically think of when you think of these teams and my kid will never hear them. (He’s 5, he won’t remember Sam)

Sam has done everything. One of the most respected guys in the business. A true gentleman and a class act all the way.

About 17-18 years ago, the Rangers did a hockey fights Cancer thing on the air and you could buy the ties that he and Joe and whoever else wore that night. Autographed.

Long story short… I bought Sam’s tie. My ex-wife made me do it. She’d just lost a close friend to cancer. It was pricey. I was still in my 20’s at the time, and it was a lot for us, but we had the money. So we bought it. 

Fast forward…

Then I was at a Garden of Dreams event years later. 
I knew Sam would be there. 

I brought the tie with me. In a plastic bag with its authentication paperwork and everything. 

I met him.

Showed him the tie.

Told him the story. 

He gave me a big hug. Said thank you so much.

And without hesitation, he said let me see that tie.

He signed it again.

And said, do whatever you want with this. Just make sure that your whatever is a good thing.  God bless you. And we had a drink together. 

I sold the tie. Gave the money to Saint Jude. 

Edited by RangersIn7
  • Like 4
  • Applause 5

I have no issue with Kenny Albert or Bob Wischusen replacing him at the end of the season. And obviously that will be a topic of discussion until a successor is eventually named, whenever that may end up being.

That said, I cannot wrap my head around how weird it will be not hearing Sam calling Rangers games. 

Him signing off on MSG Network for the final time is going to hit like 20 tons of fucking bricks. Let me tell ya. We all knew it was coming. But I just can’t believe it’s here.

Go give the guy another Cup!

Edited by RichieNextel305

10 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

Sam has done everything. One of the most respected guys in the business. A true gentleman and a class act all the way.

About 17-18 years ago, the Rangers did a hockey fights Cancer thing on the air and you could buy the ties that he and Joe and whoever else wore that night. Autographed.

Long story short… I bought Sam’s tie. My ex-wife made me do it. She’d just lost a close friend to cancer. It was pricey. I was still in my 20’s at the time, and it was a lot for us, but we had the money. So we bought it. 

Fast forward…

Then I was at a Garden of Dreams event years later. 
I knew Sam would be there. 

I brought the tie with me. In a plastic bag with its authentication paperwork and everything. 

I met him.

Showed him the tie.

Told him the story. 

He gave me a big hug. Said thank you so much.

And without hesitation, he said let me see that tie.

He signed it again.

And said, do whatever you want with this. Just make sure that your whatever is a good thing.  God bless you. And we had a drink together. 

I sold the tie. Gave the money to Saint Jude. 

That was a great story 7, thanks for sharing it!

I met Sam years ago after a game while with my (at the time ~9-10 year old) daughter.He spent some time chatting w my daughter and signed her Rangers sweater. A fine gentleman and a true class act!! I will miss the guy!!

...just reiterating what's pretty much all been said here, but as much as I get on him for some of his announcing fuck ups, I'm really gonna miss hearing the sound of his voice during games.

I go back to Jim Gordon and Bill Chadwick too, and had to endure a little bit of a juggling act until Sam and JD got there, but Sam made it his own, and I'm gonna miss the big lug when the time comes.

I hope they do retire his microphone, or number...or whetever to pay homage to the guy who was the "voice of multiple generations" of Ranger fans.  Sam's voice always signified hockey season to me, and he became a legend here.  But it's time to pass the torch, and we've all pretty much saw this coming over the past few seasons.  I'm glad Sam was able to go out on his own terms though.

That being said, as far as a replacement, I wanna see Kenny get it.  I like Bob Wischusen , but that's Kenny gig....if he wants it, in my book.

My best of everything for Sam though.  The guy was a true "Ranger" for longer than any Rangers player ever!

• Like 1
  • Applause 3

7 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I have no issue with Kenny Albert or Bob Wischusen replacing him at the end of the season. And obviously that will be a topic of discussion until a successor is eventually named, whenever that may end up being.

That said, I cannot wrap my head around how weird it will be not hearing Sam calling Rangers games. 

Him signing off on MSG Network for the final time is going to hit like 20 tons of fucking bricks. Let me tell ya. We all knew it was coming. But I just can’t believe it’s here.

you'll probably forget about Sam five minutes into the game

• Cheers 1

The closer I get to retirement the more I realize that we are all truly expendable. Not that our work didn’t matter, or our talents not recognized, just that there are always new waves coming up to meet the shore. 

I’m a F1 fan and drivers age. There plenty of young guns ready to grab the wheel. It’s inevitable. Applies to all sports, all jobs. 

Edited by 4EverRangerFrank

9 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Who knows who it will be. 

Personally, I have been a big fan of Wischusen for many years. He had that show on MSG, that call in show which I personally enjoyed but it did not do well ratings wise so I don’t think it lasted long.

It was up against Francesca’s simulcast as well as the ESPN shows.

Nevertheless, Wischusen is a very good play by play guy and is, in my opinion, very underrated. He’s done very well in the SC playoffs the last few years. Especially with Ryan Callahan. 

That may be something to look at down the road too… putting those 2 together. I’m not sure of Micheletti’s contract status or intentions, but he’s no spring chicken himself. Turns 70 this October. 

4 hours ago, Dem said:

That was a great story 7, thanks for sharing it!

I met Sam years ago after a game while with my (at the time ~9-10 year old) daughter.He spent some time chatting w my daughter and signed her Rangers sweater. A fine gentleman and a true class act!! I will miss the guy!!

There are a million Sam Rosen stories just like yours and mine, Dem. 
Having heard them and having actually met him, it does not at all surprise me. Couldn’t be a nicer, kinder guy. And as someone who has met him, I can say, hand to God, it’s all genuine. It’s no act with him. He’s genuinely that way. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Personally, I have been a big fan of Wischusen for many years. He had that show on MSG, that call in show which I personally enjoyed but it did not do well ratings wise so I don’t think it lasted long.

Nevertheless, Wischusen is a very good play by play guy and is, in my opinion, very underrated. He’s done very well in the SC playoffs the last few years. Especially with Ryan Callahan. 

That may be something to look at down the road too… putting those 2 together. I’m not sure of Micheletti’s contract status or intentions, but he’s no spring chicken himself. Turns 70 this October. 

This is a MSG gig.  Kenny is already an employee

18 hours ago, Phil said:

100% good with either pick, but as someone who's listened to so many Kenny games on the radio over the years, I've been wanting to see him get the call-up for ages. He'd be my preference, but I'd be excited to land Wichusen. Much as I've come to really appreciate his personality, the guy I don't want is Gianonne.

Issue w/ Kenny is that he's the busiest man in the world, besides MSG Rangers games on the radio, he fills in for Mike Breen when he does NBA games on TV, he does NFL on FOX, and MLB on FOX, and NBA on TNT.  

1 hour ago, Albatrosss said:

This is a MSG gig.  Kenny is already an employee

That is the likely outcome. Which is fine. I like Kenny Albert and he does a fine job and he’d do well in this one too if he gets it. 

But Wischusen has the right credentials and a legitimate case as well. 
From the area. Former MSG employee. Former WFAN employee. Lots of high-end play by play experience in multiple sports in multiple places. Currently he’s ESPN’s # 2 play by play guy for hockey behind only Sean McDonough, and he is way better than McDonough.

If he stays at ESPN, he and Cally will soon surpass McDonough and Ray Ferraro, and I actually like Ferraro. To much anti-Ranger bias on Ray’s behalf, but it’s understandable as he played all those years as an Islander and then got traded in the midst of an excellent season to a dreadful Kings team for an over the hill Kurri, an over the hill

McSorley, and Shane Churla.

Norstrom and Laperriere went the other way too.

Norstrom became the Kings captain. 
Lapperiere played over 1000 NHL games. 

Who won that trade? 

Anyway… If they brought in Wischusen, they could bring in Cally too.

That would be fantastic. 

Edited by RangersIn7

2 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

That is the likely outcome. Which is fine. I like Kenny Albert and he does a fine job and he’d do well in this one too if he gets it. 

But Wischusen has the right credentials and a legitimate case as well. 
From the area. Former MSG employee. Former WFAN employee. Lots of high-end play by play experience in multiple sports in multiple places. Currently he’s ESPN’s # 2 play by play guy for hockey behind only Sean McDonough, and he is way better than McDonough.

If he stays at ESPN, he and Cally will soon surpass McDonough and Ray Ferraro, and I actually like Ferraro. To much anti-Ranger bias on Ray’s behalf, but it’s understandable as he played all those years as an Islander and then got traded in the midst of an excellent season to a dreadful Kings team for an over the hill Kurri, an over the hill

McSorley, and Shane Churla.

Norstrom and Laperriere went the other way too.

Norstrom became the Kings captain. 
Lapperiere played over 1000 NHL games. 

Who won that trade? 

Anyway… If they brought in Wischusen, they could bring in Cally too.

That would be fantastic. 

he can do radio with Maloney

4 hours ago, Blue Heaven said:

Issue w/ Kenny is that he's the busiest man in the world, besides MSG Rangers games on the radio, he fills in for Mike Breen when he does NBA games on TV, he does NFL on FOX, and MLB on FOX, and NBA on TNT.  

That’s why I think Wischusen should be in the mix. He does the Jets on the radio. And also is an NHL on ESPN/ABC voice. But is open otherwise.

12 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

Actually not a bad thought.

What I will say is that even though we have all seen Sam slip a bit over the years, Joe is pretty spot on with everything. He’s still extremely good.

But long term? Definitely intriguing. A top PBP guy teamed up with a former Ranger Captain sounds like a pair MSG would be interested in.

I have a hard time seeing how it wouldn’t be either of these guys.

And that show was Talk Of Our Town.

On 8/13/2024 at 4:36 PM, Niko said:

I know a lot of people have been calling for him to retire as he gets up there in age and flubs names from time to time, but it honestly never bothered me.

This makes me sad. I was born in 1987. I honestly can not remember anyone else calling the games and I’ve been watching my entire life. 

long live Sam. 

This is exactly what I came to post!  Sam’s voice calling Rangers games is the only voice I know for my entire life!  He started the same year I was born and he’s a legend.  Through all the teams ups and downs Sam’s voice and style have been the constant.  Never met the guy but he’s like a friend in that way.  

I’ve always said to people that the last game Sam calls will be a very sad day for me- I saw this coming but still somehow it makes me sad.  

Happy for Sam and I hope he has a great retirement— but I’ll miss him tremendously.

20 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

you'll probably forget about Sam five minutes into the game

Listening to Sam navigate the name Alexis Lafreniere in the 3rd period is great entertainment.  🙂

7 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Actually not a bad thought.

What I will say is that even though we have all seen Sam slip a bit over the years, Joe is pretty spot on with everything. He’s still extremely good.

But long term? Definitely intriguing. A top PBP guy teamed up with a former Ranger Captain sounds like a pair MSG would be interested in.

I have a hard time seeing how it wouldn’t be either of these guys.

And that show was Talk Of Our Town.

It likely goes to Kenny Albert if he can do it in terms of scheduling. And that’s a fine and logical choice.

And I don’t think Micheletti is going anywhere right now either so it’s likely Albert/Micheletti at least for now.

But we will see. Though Wischusen and Callahan make a heck of a lot of sense. 

That’s right!

I forgot the name of that show. Just remembered that it was him and Bill Daughtry. I always liked that show, but as I said, it didn’t do well cause of what it was up against. Plus that format isn’t great as non-simulcast TV. 

20 hours ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

The closer I get to retirement the more I realize that we are all truly expendable. Not that our work didn’t matter, or our talents not recognized, just that there are always new waves coming up to meet the shore. 

I’m a F1 fan and drivers age. There plenty of young guns ready to grab the wheel. It’s inevitable. Applies to all sports, all jobs. 

It is kind of sad that this thread turned into a debate around who should replace him, rather than a celebration of a long, remarkable career.