• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tony DeAngelo Gives His Side of Incident With Alexandar Georgiev: 'Make a Bleepin' Save!'

This is the first time we’ve heard from any side exactly what happened that night. So pretty interesting listen.

We all know the gist of it. But this is a firsthand encounter of exactly how it went down. Rangers lose to Pittsburgh in OT at MSG. Georgiev had a rough one. As they’re walking off the ice and down the tunnel, DeAngelo says “make a fucking save!” Georgiev turns around and with his mask on, headbutts DeAngelo. Stunned and in self defense, he swings his stick at his mask. Briefly rolls into locker room, where it dies down. Both players cool off but are told to not come to the facility the next day. And that is when the news came out that the Rangers were putting DeAngelo on Waivers. He actually found out through Elliotte Friedman on Twitter.

So, now we know. Not that we didn’t already kind of know.

He went on to say that even though him and Georgiev weren’t the best of buddies, that it eventually blew over and they were fine. Sounds like a heat of the moment type of thing.

DeAngelo had some history with his behavior and I think that’s why only he was let go. I remember the game. Georgiev wasn’t good. So own it. As much as DeAngelo had his issues, Georgiev would go on to have his. He had issues being behind Shesterkin on the depth chart. He had issues going stretches without playing; still an issue to this day. He’s had his best when he gets in a routine. When he plays once every two weeks, he stinks. And that’s kind of the job of a backup. But he never viewed himself as one, even at that point. Why? I don’t know.

All in all, funny to look back on now. DeAngelo was on a divisional rival we beat twice in the playoffs. Georgiev went to Colorado and became a decent starter for them. The Rangers washed their hands clean of them both.

Edited by RichieNextel305

1 minute ago, Albatrosss said:

DeAngelo is an idiot who needs to learn to keep his mouth shut.  would've had a decent career in the NHL if he did.

Definitely bit him in the ass. He had lots of talent. But his mouth got him into deep shit. Teams figured out the juice really wasn’t worth the squeeze.

I remember that the Rangers spoke to Calgary about a trade centered around DeAngelo for Sam Bennett. Ironic, since he played pretty damn good against us for Florida in the ECF.

2 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Definitely bit him in the ass. He had lots of talent. But his mouth got him into deep shit. Teams figured out the juice really wasn’t worth the squeeze.

I remember that the Rangers spoke to Calgary about a trade centered around DeAngelo for Sam Bennett. Ironic, since he played pretty damn good against us for Florida in the ECF.

Would've loved to have Bennett 

6 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Do you have a link for this? I'm not saying you're lying, just never saw this before now.

If this is true, I'm big mad this morning.

Edit: quick Google and you're right: https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2021/02/05/ny-rangers-exploring-tony-deangelo-sam-bennett-trade/4396811001/

I'm big mad.

• LOL 1
  • JIMMY! 1
  • Eyeballs 1

at least the way Dangelo tells it...the rangers could've let this blow over, no big deal

Deangelo was really good for us at times, and could've been an asset going forward, even with the silly headaches that came up

I get that it's a pretty minor incident in the grand scheme of things, but you need to consider we don't know what may have been said between him and management before it.

Plus, Tony was never long for this team - or any team, for that matter. He was bought out, signed on the bargain bin, traded for/signed by a team who then bought him out AGAIN, and then signed again by seemingly the only team who can tolerate him. When that team had a bunch of defensemen leave in FA, he was told "No thanks" and will probably be off to the KHL.

He's clearly not a guy who endears himself to coaching staffs or front offices. He's just not worth the headache and multiple teams have proven that at this point.

• Bullseye 2
  • Keeps it 100 2

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Bennett was like "thank god"

• LMFAO 1

2 hours ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

I get that it's a pretty minor incident in the grand scheme of things, but you need to consider we don't know what may have been said between him and management before it.

Plus, Tony was never long for this team - or any team, for that matter. He was bought out, signed on the bargain bin, traded for/signed by a team who then bought him out AGAIN, and then signed again by seemingly the only team who can tolerate him. When that team had a bunch of defensemen leave in FA, he was told "No thanks" and will probably be off to the KHL.

He's clearly not a guy who endears himself to coaching staffs or front offices. He's just not worth the headache and multiple teams have proven that at this point.

When you put up multiple 50+ point seasons as a D Man before age 30 and can't find a contract.....it may be time to look at reinventing yourself as a person. Wasted talent. 

• Bullseye 1

23 minutes ago, Scott said:

Hadn't he been warned earlier in the season by the front office that one more incident regardless of how small would be the last straw in NY??

I could definitely be wrong.

Yes.

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2021/01/31/how-tony-deangelos-altercation-pushed-ny-rangers-breaking-point/4333658001/

He was on probation when the Geo incident happened, which is why the reaction was as abrupt as it was:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/u2e2ge/in_arthur_staples_recent_article_details_of_what/

• Like 1

The idea that a player as atrocious defensively at ADA is telling the goalie to make a save is just pure comedy.

As Herb Brooks would say "Worry about your own game, there's enough there to keep you busy".

• Bullseye 1
  • Applause 1

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

The idea that a player as atrocious defensively at ADA is telling the goalie to make a save is just pure comedy.

As Herb Brooks would say "Worry about your own game, there's enough there to keep you busy".

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"-Wayne Gretzky

17 minutes ago, Pete said:

And looking at the play itself that led to this... it was a bad goal, plus Georgiev and Tony had a miscommunication that led to the play continuing. But it's still rich coming from Tony.

13 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

And looking at the play itself that led to this... it was a bad goal, plus Georgiev and Tony had a miscommunication that led to the play continuing. But it's still rich coming from Tony.

We were always coached that if it's inside the dots it's on the defenseman and if it's outside it's on the goalie as a rule of thumb. That was terrible Georgiev's part.

1 minute ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

We were always coached that if it's inside the dots it's on the defenseman and if it's outside it's on the goalie as a rule of thumb. That was terrible Georgiev's part.

DeAngelo played it really weak, but yeah brutal goal to allow. Getting beat 5 hole from the top of the faceoff circle is mites shit.

I don't think trying to apply logic in to who should have felt they had the right to say something is really useful in this type of situation. It's too emotional.

Regardless, had any D man said something like this to me in that state, I don't think a headbutt is out of the question. Seems fair. 

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

DeAngelo is/was one dimensional, though immensely talented on the offensive side.

But a big mouth and a poor attitude, coupled with some not so popular opinions and a willingness to express them in not the most pleasant and sensitive manner got him in trouble. 
Obviously I don’t know the guy personally, but he has never come off as the best of people in all honesty, based off the incidents he’s had and the stuff he’s said and done over the years. 

Regardless of whether he was just reacting to Georgiev turning things physical there (which is not ok), he’d been warned by the organization about his mouth and his antics and his attitude that any other incidents would result in his release. This off of him

getting a very nice new contract.

And lo and behold, what was it, 7 or 8 games into the season, this happens. 

No sympathy for this guy.

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

I don't think trying to apply logic in to who should have felt they had the right to say something is really useful in this type of situation. It's too emotional.

Regardless, had any D man said something like this to me in that state, I don't think a headbutt is out of the question. Seems fair. 

A blocker to the mouth would have sufficed, too.

3 hours ago, Phil said:

He did it to himself. He had no latitude. No room for another incident, regardless of circumstances, fault, level of involvement or responsibility, etc. 

He was told of this in no uncertain terms. 

Regardless of whether he felt culpable in anything he’d done prior, or whether he agreed with how he was being dealt with, or even if he felt that he hadn’t done anything wrong, his employer did and they have that right. Employers have a right to hold you to a standard in terms of conduct and what you might say or do publicly, especially when you are a very visible person. 
Just like Disney did with Gina Carano on The Mandalorian.

You were told to knock it off. No more issues or incidents, or you’re gone. 
Had an incident.

Peace out Cub Scout. 

• VINNY! 1

11 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

DeAngelo is an idiot who needs to learn to keep his mouth shut.  would've had a decent career in the NHL if he did.

Objectively cost himself a long term NHL career and millions with his mouth. There are times in any workplace you simply shut and keep your opinions to yourself. Keep your inner monologue to yourself.

• Keeps it 100 1