• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Potential PTO Options for the Rangers

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/_/year/2024/status/available/type/ufa/sort/contract_value

There are still a few potentially useful guys out there on the UFA market for a lot of teams. Guys who are older and not quite what they once were. Guys looking for a new environment. Guys looking to prove it and will relish being given an opportunity by another NHL team.

Few guys on there I would potentially look at if I were the Rangers:

-Tyler Johnson

-Mike Hoffman

-Max Pacioretty

-Kevin Labanc

Johnson is small, but had a decent year in Chicago. Can be a potential answer at 3C if Chytil goes down.

Hoffman or Pacioretty (who we talked about at the deadline) can be potential scoring wingers still.

Labanc has had his up and downs in San Jose. Local kid. Could be an interesting fit as a depth piece.

Few guys on the list have already expressed they’re retiring or retired already. Or are not likely to play again (or for a while) due to injury. Or have gone on to play overseas in the KHL.

What about you guys? Any people that catch your eye as a potential PTO option for the Rangers?

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, siddious said:

Cracks Me Up Steve Harvey GIF by ABC Network

I mean, he's one of the only players left who can actaully play up or down a lineup. They're incredibly thin on the right. It's not the worst idea, even if he ends up a fourth-liner, or a 13th forward.

39 minutes ago, Phil said:

I mean, he's one of the only players left who can actaully play up or down a lineup. They're incredibly thin on the right. It's not the worst idea, even if he ends up a fourth-liner, or a 13th forward.

I’d say Johnson may be able to also. If Chytil goes down with an injury, we’re dicked as far as centers go.

He put up 17 goals last year. He’s no where near what he once was. But for a PTO and something like $775k on a 2-way deal, I’d roll the dice and see how he looks in camp. And keep him stashed in Hartford until we need him.

Which, I sadly assume, we likely will at some point. Given Chytils history.

6 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I’d say Johnson may be able to also. If Chytil goes down with an injury, we’re dicked as far as centers go.

He put up 17 goals last year. He’s no where near what he once was. But for a PTO and something like $775k on a 2-way deal, I’d roll the dice and see how he looks in camp. And keep him stashed in Hartford until we need him.

Which, I sadly assume, we likely will at some point. Given Chytils history.

He's not going to sign a two-way deal (that only affects salary at NHL/AHL level). I agree they're thin, but nothing about his game tells me this is a guy you can play on your fourth line. He's top-nine or bust.

The only players I'd have any interest in, and it's remote, are guys who I can trust won't rot sitting in the press box most of the year. That's fourth-liners with some upside who play with energy. That list is like one player long. Blais.

Just now, Phil said:

He's not going to sign a two-way deal (that only affects salary at NHL/AHL level). I agree they're thin, but nothing about his game tells me this is a guy you can play on your fourth line. He's top-nine or bust.

The only players I'd have any interest in, and it's remote, are guys who I can trust won't rot sitting in the press box most of the year. That's fourth-liners with some upside who play with energy. That list is like one player long. Blais.

plus he's BFFs with Laf

• ALEXIS! 1

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Im good just call up edstrom or rempe if need be. were set on 4th liners. no need to bring in guys who are useless.

• Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, siddious said:

Im good just call up edstrom or rempe if need be. were set on 4th liners. no need to bring in guys who are useless.

Exactly. That's why my interest is minimal at best. I just don't see the point in any PTO. The Rangers finally feel like they have a lot of hungry young energy players on the cusp. I'd much rather tap into any of them than waste time going after PTOs.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Exactly. That's why my interest is minimal at best. I just don't see the point in any PTO. The Rangers finally feel like they have a lot of hungry young energy players on the cusp. I'd much rather tap into any of them than waste time going after PTOs.

doesn't hurt to give those players a vet to beat out for the job in camp though

there's low risk low reward moves, high risk high reward moves, and then there's PTOs, the no risk who knows what reward 

Vesey is a good example of it

Ditto.  He have young hungry guys to work into the lineup.

I've already seen these PTOs who get their old bones juiced up and play like it's the Stanley Cup Finals in the preseason, looking great against half-hearted opposition, and then are useless after they make the team.

I know it's the dead time, but please, no pondering PTOs!

38 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

Ditto.  He have young hungry guys to work into the lineup.

I've already seen these PTOs who get their old bones juiced up and play like it's the Stanley Cup Finals in the preseason, looking great against half-hearted opposition, and then are useless after they make the team.

I know it's the dead time, but please, no pondering PTOs!

Yeah, PTOs tend to come in jacked up, run through a wall to earn a contract, and are waived by Thanksgiving.

38 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

doesn't hurt to give those players a vet to beat out for the job in camp though

there's low risk low reward moves, high risk high reward moves, and then there's PTOs, the no risk who knows what reward 

Vesey is a good example of it

Sure, that's why I said my interest is minimal, not zero. I could see someone like Blais making it and being another Vesey-type. In fact, he's exactly the type of player I'm talking about re: can be scratched, on fourth line, or play up in your lineup as needed. Swiss army knife.

13 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

No one. The kids are hungry, let them eat. Why do we need rotten sloppy seconds? 

If they're hungry enough, they'll beat out the rotten sloppy seconds

Edited by Pete

16 hours ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

Here’s my ideal lineup

Rempe-Rempe-Rempe

Rempe-Rempe-Rempe

Rempe-Dubinsky-Rempe 

Rempe-Rempe-Rempe

Fox-Rempe

Rempe-Rempe

Rempe-Rempe

Igor

Rempe

He’s the answer to every question I have too!