• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Bruins Re-Sign Jeremey Swayman to 8-Year/$66M Extension; $8.25M AAV

48 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Dude won 1 Vezina; is that enough to believe you're better than everyone else? 

Yes, I think being better than everyone else is enough proof that you're better than everyone else. 

But like we keep saying, being the best player at a position where you don't need to spend a lot to win just means... Tough luck. 

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yes, I think being better than everyone else is enough proof that you're better than everyone else. 

But like we keep saying, being the best player at a position where you don't need to spend a lot to win just means... Tough luck. 

This. And, speaking for myself, I'm not saying that every player shouldn't seek to maximize their earnings. I'm saying that for this team, at that position, that's not something I'd personally have any interest in agreeing to. This whole issue is position-specific for me. If Igor were an elite center or defenseman, I'd be first in line saying lock him up for life.

19 minutes ago, Phil said:

This. And, speaking for myself, I'm not saying that every player shouldn't seek to maximize their earnings. I'm saying that for this team, at that position, that's not something I'd personally have any interest in agreeing to. This whole issue is position-specific for me. If Igor were an elite center or defenseman, I'd be first in line saying lock him up for life.

We're on the same page. 

These goalies looking to "reset the market" are paving the way for one of two things... It'll be some terrible fucking hockey where nobody can field the lineup that can put the puck in the net, or you will see much more movement in free agency because teams will not be able to afford their premier scorers. 

Or GM's could collectively just turn around and tell the goalie market to fuck themselves and just pay mid goalies mid-dollars and field high scoring teams. 

Which scenario do you think fans would prefer?

• Keeps it 100 1

2 hours ago, Phil said:

Because of this? Of course he was named starter — Swayman litearlly isn't under contract lol.

The shit Neely said is more likely to ruffle feathers.

Swayman's camp has also ruffled it's share of feathers. Part of this public negotiation. They'll play this ping pong match for another couple weeks until both sides land on a number they're happy with. After which everyone will be all smiles like none of this ever happened.

Edited by Karan

27 minutes ago, phillyb said:

The way I'm reading that (and I'm reading a lot into it) is that Swayman's camp would have accepted 8 lol. 

Meanwhile Sweeney in the back saying "Cam you dumb fuck, I said $6.4....a year... Not 64!"

• LMFAO 2

I don’t get why Neely did what he did. It just reeks of impulsiveness and needy to try and make Swayman the bad guy to the fanbase. Just stupid. If the two sides aren’t close, fine. But to make it this public, with that type of specific detail, is dangerous for a lot of reasons. Clearly animosity. At this point, would it shock anyone if they dealt Swayman?

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Keeps it 100 1

So would I, 100%

Shesterkin is going to get paid, though. He has better playoff numbers, in double the playoff starts.

He's absolutely going to cash in on that. 

But, it can't be us. I can still be a fan if he's in Minnesota.

• Keeps it 100 1

10 hours ago, Pete said:

Or GM's could collectively just turn around and tell the goalie market to fuck themselves and just pay mid goalies mid-dollars and field high scoring teams. 

Which scenario do you think fans would prefer?

The one that wins the team a cup and looking at the Oilers, mid-Goaltending and high-scoring never did it for them.

Personally never been big on games that end 6-5 or something like that. Prefer a sense of security once you have a 2-goal lead.

The Swayman thing now feels like it's about being petty for the sake of being petty. Once a side tries to get the fans angry at the other side, it's pretty bad.

3 hours ago, H-Dreamer said:

The one that wins the team a cup and looking at the Oilers, mid-Goaltending and high-scoring never did it for them.

Selective quoting doesn't fly in this scenario, because the question "Which would fans prefer" needs to include "

It'll be some terrible fucking hockey where nobody can field the lineup that can put the puck in the net, or you will see much more movement in free agency because teams will not be able to afford their premier scorers. 

It's about what resetting the goalie market means. 

At any rate the Oilers...that's one team. Knights, Avalanche, St. Louis, Washington, Pittsburgh,.Chicago...those teams didn't overpay or have the best goalie in the league and they won.

Too many people hold up Florida is some kind of model when they are an outlier. I mean the games they lost in the finals were a combined score of 18-6. Bob wasn't the difference maker. 

Edited by Pete
  • Keeps it 100 1

2 hours ago, phillyb said:

Reminder, Jeremy Swayman has never started more than 43 games. 

I mean, Shesterkin had played less than 50 when he got his current extension (5.66x4)? Vancouver also bought in on Demko with a similar number of games played.

It's not unheard of to buy in if you really believe in the player. Like Jeff Marek always says, the price never goes down.

The issue with Swayman (and Shesterkin) really has nothing to do with games played. It has to do with this desire from the players to "reset the goalie market" for no reason other than wanting to be the highest-paid player. In Shesterkin's case, by millions more than his next closest peer. I don't know what to call that except greed.

The entire system of professional sports is designed to make players greedy and looking for top dollar all the time.

1.  Careers are short.

Get what you can while you can.

2.  Players don't choose their teams initially their teams choose them.

No team loyalty because players are well-paid chattel for their first 7 years give or take.

3.  Only a limited number of players are free to negotiate in any given year.

You're the 15th best Center in the NHL?  Well, you're the best one available right now and you're going to get paid like a top 5 Center.

If every Center was available every year they'd slot pretty well into the overall structure with few outliers.