• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Bruins Re-Sign Jeremey Swayman to 8-Year/$66M Extension; $8.25M AAV

I get that, but the NHL is a unique entity in this because they operate with a hard cap. As far as I understand it, they're the only league that does, so those values simply have to be reasonable. I don't begrudge Swayman (or Shesterkin) for looking to maximize their earnings. But I do begrudge any player at any time who seeks to "reset the market" on their position by literally millions more than their comparable peers, many of whom signed deals like a fucking month ago.

10 hours ago, Pete said:

Selective quoting doesn't fly in this scenario, because the question "Which would fans prefer" needs to include "

It's about what resetting the goalie market means. 

At any rate the Oilers...that's one team. Knights, Avalanche, St. Louis, Washington, Pittsburgh,.Chicago...those teams didn't overpay or have the best goalie in the league and they won.

Too many people hold up Florida is some kind of model when they are an outlier. I mean the games they lost in the finals were a combined score of 18-6. Bob wasn't the difference maker. 

How many high paid elite goalies are there? There are 5 goalies over 6.5 million. Two of the goalies (Hellebuyck, Sorokin) are in the 8s and are just starting their contracts so we don't know yet. The other 3, Price 10.5 Bob 10 Vasi 9.5 have all been to the finals. Two have a Cup win. It really doesn't matter if people want to write them off as anomalies. The data is very limited because there are so few high paid goalies to begin with, but the results actually seem good relative to how many there are. For every example you can list, or paint as an anomaly, there's tens or hundreds more examples of high paid forwards not winning. 5 goalies over 6.5 million. 111 skaters over 6.5 million. It's all relative.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Keeps it 100 2

9 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

How many high paid elite goalies are there? There are 5 goalies over 6.5 million. Two of the goalies (Hellebuyck, Sorokin) are in the 8s and are just starting their contracts so we don't know yet. The other 3, Price 10.5 Bob 10 Vasi 9.5 have all been to the finals. Two have a Cup win. It really doesn't matter if people want to write them off as anomalies. The data is very limited because there are so few high paid goalies to begin with, but the results actually seem good relative to how many there are. For every example you can list, or paint as an anomaly, there's tens or hundreds more examples of high paid forwards not winning. 5 goalies over 6.5 million. 111 skaters over 6.5 million. It's all relative.

The difference you're missing here is that the floor has raised tremendously. You don't need to be asking how many elite goalies there are, but how many truly awful starters are even left. One? Maybe two?

The "mid" goalies in this league have shown that non-elite status is not a barrier to success. Not even close. In fact, the math heavily skews toward more teams winning without elite goaltending than with it, though I admit, this depends on your subjective definition of who is or isn't elite.

My categories, for a point of reference (not ranked, just grouped):

Elite: Shesterkin, Hellebuyck, Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Saros.

Great: Demko, Swayman, Bobrovsky, Ullmark, Oettinger, Markstrom

Reliable: Skinner, Woll, Hill, Andersen, Ingram, Luukkonen, Binnington, Jarry, Kochetkov

Then everyone else. So, basically, like 20/32 goalies are good, and the overwhelming majority of them make like $7 million~ against the cap.

• Applause 1

49 minutes ago, Phil said:

The difference you're missing here is that the floor has raised tremendously. You don't need to be asking how many elite goalies there are, but how many truly awful starters are even left. One? Maybe two?

The "mid" goalies in this league have shown that non-elite status is not a barrier to success. Not even close. In fact, the math heavily skews toward more teams winning without elite goaltending than with it, though I admit, this depends on your subjective definition of who is or isn't elite.

My categories, for a point of reference (not ranked, just grouped):

Elite: Shesterkin, Hellebuyck, Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Saros.

Great: Demko, Swayman, Bobrovsky, Ullmark, Oettinger, Markstrom

Reliable: Skinner, Woll, Hill, Andersen, Ingram, Luukkonen, Binnington, Jarry, Kochetkov

Then everyone else. So, basically, like 20/32 goalies are good, and the overwhelming majority of them make like $7 million~ against the cap.

The argument isn’t if having a non-elite goalie is a barrier to success. That’s not one I would contest because of course it’s not. The argument is if a high cap elite goalie is a barrier. I think the argument is largely inconclusive, and the math actually seems to suggest high paid goalies are winning at a rate higher than expected for how very few there are.

The cap is going to be $92.5 million next season. You’re trying to convince me that $80.5 million spent on the rest of the roster versus ~$84-86 million is a death knell of a difference. I think the core reason for feeling this way is that we have experienced a high paid goalie in conjunction with mismanagement of the rest of the cap, that we are trained to say “if only the goalie didn’t cost X we could work around our other 4 mistakes on the roster”. My counter would be they just need to do better with the other 88% of the cap.

• Bullseye 1
  • Applause 1

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Vasi went to finals when Kuch was on LTIR.

Bobrovsky been addressed. 

Repeating it over and over doesn't make the Grand Canyon sized caveats any smaller. 

Maybe ask yourself why there are so few highly paid goalies? Because there aren't many GMs willing to invest in that position, because as we've seen goalies like Aiden Hill, Darcy Keumper, Corey Crawford, Antii Niemi, Matt Murray, all have Stanley Cups.

Not only can you win a cup with an average goalie, but the gap between very good and elite is smaller than ever.

Igor is just not worth 30% More than the next best guy.

Edited by Pete
  • Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

12 hours ago, Pete said:

Repeating it over and over doesn't make the Grand Canyon sized caveats any smaller. 

Maybe ask yourself why there are so few highly paid goalies? Because there aren't many GMs willing to invest in that position, because as we've seen goalies like Aiden Hill, Darcy Keumper, Corey Crawford, Antii Niemi, Matt Murray, all have Stanley Cups.

Not only can you win a cup with an average goalie, but the gap between very good and elite is smaller than ever.

He isn't even 30% better. I think we view Shesterkin through blue glasses. Yea he is really good but I don't think he is the best in the game. I think through the cap going up and costs rising, you can argue he should be in the same camp as the highest paid but in no way is there a reason to reset the market. Id rather see him hit free agency than overpay this primadonna. 

14 hours ago, Pete said:

There's few goalies who are consistently elite year over year and worth a premium.

He's the only reason they have been advancing in the playoffs.

Edit: Sort by GSAA. Links not keeping the sort on.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerteams.php?fromseason=20222023&thruseason=20242025&stype=3&sit=all&score=all&stdoi=g&rate=n&team=ALL&pos=S&loc=B&toi=600&gpfilt=none&fd=&td=&tgp=410&lines=single&draftteam=ALL

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerteams.php?fromseason=20192020&thruseason=20212022&stype=3&sit=all&score=all&stdoi=g&rate=n&team=ALL&pos=S&loc=B&toi=600&gpfilt=none&fd=&td=&tgp=410&lines=single&draftteam=ALL

When the lights are brightest, he's ultra elite. He's worth it. They just need to find a way for their other big cap purchases to show up when the lights are brightest. They've got about $28 million invested in three players who do not.

Edited by BrooksBurner

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

There's few goalies who are consistently elite year over year and worth a premium.

You don't need elite goaltending to win a cup. 

He's the only reason they have been advancing in the playoffs.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerteams.php?fromseason=20222023&thruseason=20242025&stype=3&sit=all&score=all&stdoi=g&rate=n&team=ALL&pos=S&loc=B&toi=600&gpfilt=none&fd=&td=&tgp=410&lines=single&draftteam=ALL

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerteams.php?fromseason=20192020&thruseason=20212022&stype=3&sit=all&score=all&stdoi=g&rate=n&team=ALL&pos=S&loc=B&toi=600&gpfilt=none&fd=&td=&tgp=410&lines=single&draftteam=ALL

When the lights are brightest, he's ultra elite. He's worth it. They just need to find a way for their other big cap purchases to show up when the lights are brightest. They've got about $28 million invested in three players who do not.

Well he's not the only reason, because he can't score goals. We've already seen that letting in 1 goal a game in the postseason is cool but worthless if you can't score 2 yourself.

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

You don't need elite goaltending to win a cup. 

Well he's not the only reason, because he can't score goals. We've already seen that letting in 1 goal a game in the postseason is cool but worthless if you can't score 2 yourself.

I didn't say you did. That's not the argument. You don't need McDavid to win the Cup, but it wouldn't stop you from signing him would it?

I think it has more to do with $20 million, or 20-25% of the rest of the cap, invested in Panarin and Zibanejad not scoring when it matters. Shesterkin largely turns into the best goalie on the planet. You don't need to galaxy brain this.

5 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I didn't say you did. That's not the argument. You don't need McDavid to win the Cup, but it wouldn't stop you from signing him would it?

I think it has more to do with $20 million, or 20-25% of the rest of the cap, invested in Panarin and Zibanejad not scoring when it matters. Shesterkin largely turns into the best goalie on the planet. You don't need to galaxy brain this.

Centers ≠ Goalies, that's the argument.

15 hours ago, Pete said:

Or even the fourth, or sixth, or eighth next best guy. The results are negligible.

47 minutes ago, Phil said:

Or even the fourth, or sixth, or eighth next best guy. The results are negligible.

Right. Like I keep saying... You can't compare goaltending to position players. You don't need to spend a lot to get a top goalie, and you don't need elite to win. Spend on elite elsewhere in your lineup.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

I thought Trouba's contract was bad!!  Shesterkin's deal will make Trouba's look like a fire sale!

The other thing that is that I feel like we've seen the best of Igor already.  He's not going to get any better in my opinion.  What the old addage?  Sell High?????  Yeah that!

9 minutes ago, lefty9 said:

I know the contract will hurt,but he is the most valuable player five on five the rangers have 

That makes no sense.

"The Rangers don't score enough 5v5, so what we should do is handicap our ability to address that by making a guy who can't score goals the highest paid player on the team, even though we already saw that it wasn't good enough 3 months ago."

Brilliant!

• Keeps it 100 2

1 minute ago, Pete said:

That makes no sense.

"The Rangers don't score enough 5v5, so what we should do is handicap our ability to address that by making a guy who can't score goals the highest paid player on the team, even though we already saw that it wasn't good enough 3 months ago."

Brilliant!

Yea we lost because Igor didn't score goals

core goals 

Just now, lefty9 said:

Yea we lost because Igor didn't score goals

Is that what I said? Let me paste it again for you "making a guy who can't score goals the highest paid player on the team".

Where does that say we lost because Igor can't score goals? Stop being ridiculous.

The Rangers 5v5 issue is not fixed by throwing more money at it. $5 million saved by switching from Igor to a 2nd rate goalie would not make a lick of difference other than allowing significantly more goals.

$28 million in Panarin, Zibanejad, and Trouba, and they all suck in the playoffs, and they all suck at rallying the team to play the right way at 5v5. It's not rocket science here.

Edited by BrooksBurner

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

And the Rangers may have McDavid and Draisaitl some day, when they're 37 on a retirement contract.

Isn't that always the plan?  LOL 

I still think we can use Jagr....retired or not!  😃