• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Bruins Re-Sign Jeremey Swayman to 8-Year/$66M Extension; $8.25M AAV

38 minutes ago, lefty9 said:

Sorry, but this is a crock of shit

I'm sure you think so, But it's pretty apparent to many others. 

There was a whole article in the athletic about how hard Zibanejad has to work starting in his own zone just to create offense. It was covered here.

And the original article is here. 

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5290958/2024/02/22/rangers-mika-zibanejad-stats-dip?source=user-shared-article

Specifically 

Taking on matchup minutes is nothing new for Zibanejad. While he doesn’t shoulder them alone, he does lead the way in New York with the toughest quality of competition. That can weigh down a player’s offense, especially if they do not have a lot of two-way support alongside them.

Top defensive forwards are more involved in getting play out of the defensive zone and shifting to offense, sharing a responsibility that typically defenders are relied on for. Zibanejad’s workload of retrieving pucks and exiting the zone has increased this season compared to last, and he has done it more efficiently. It’s an important role to take on, especially since the Rangers’ defenders outside of Adam Fox have not all been as effective in this area.

So forgive me if I trust this breakdown more than your "crock of shit" hot take. 

12 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

Well, crock or not, it does seem like our defensemen, as high end and well paid as they may be, don't seem to have very efficient means of clearing the zone.

Fox can beat the forecheck with a pass, Miller with his legs, and then a long list of nothing. Trouba, Lindgren, Schnieder, are all "glass and out" guys, and that doesn't help the forwards. That's why the Bread: Italian and French line was so good 5v5. They can all transport the puck through the neutral zone effectively. Zib is the only one on his line that can. That's a huge gap, whether people want to admit it or not.

It's also why I'm looking forward to seeing Jones as a regular, and another year of progress for Schneider. He can do the job, he just hasn't at the NHL level, yet.

Edited by Pete

4 hours ago, Pete said:

I'm sure you think so, But it's pretty apparent to many others. 

There was a whole article in the athletic about how hard Zibanejad has to work starting in his own zone just to create offense. It was covered here.

And the original article is here. 

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5290958/2024/02/22/rangers-mika-zibanejad-stats-dip?source=user-shared-article

Specifically 

So forgive me if I trust this breakdown more than your "crock of shit" hot take. 

Is this writer related to you

• LMFAO 1

6 minutes ago, lefty9 said:

Just kidding

But isn't a center job to be the one to to make the centering passes And creating plays .

Mika does hustle all over the ice 

Yes but that gets increasingly harder to do if you always have to take the puck out of your end all the way to the other zone allllllll the time.

8 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

$1.75m less per year than he wanted. 

Shesterkin you're on the clock.  $10.25m, get it done.

Boston budged .25M it seems per that interview done a week or so ago. Good for them.

I'd def point to Bob and Vasi contracts and say they won cups. Then id point to this and tell him he lands somewhere in between but with market adjustment, match the Bob contract. $10.25 is a solid offer for both sides I believe. Send it to Dru!

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Hopefully Igor can 'settle' for something in the 11-11.5 range out of the kindness of his heart. 🙄

In reality, that's basically the floor AAV of his next contract.

I'm kind of hoping the Rangers look around the league and see goalies in the Vezina conversation making 8.5 and tell Igor to test the market if he thinks someone's going to give him 11 and then he loses the benefit of the 8th year. 

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Just now, Pete said:

I'm kind of hoping the Rangers look around the league and see goalies in the Vezina conversation making 8.5 and tell Igor to test the market if he thinks someone's going to give him 11 and then he loses the benefit of the 8th year. 

Yeah, unfortunately I think they're probably just going to cave to what he wants and he's going to get that max deal he's wanted. He's one of the best goalies in the league right now, and he should be paid, but the self righteousness of wanting to be one of the highest paid players in the league, the highest paid goalie and the highest Rangers free agent ever is off-putting. 

I would like to think that Drury isn't the type of guy to just fold to a guy's demands, but there's still a lot of pressure to get him signed by most of the fanbase and probably the team as well. It's kind of a tough spot to be in. I'm glad I don't have to do it.

2 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah, unfortunately I think they're probably just going to cave to what he wants and he's going to get that max deal he's wanted. He's one of the best goalies in the league right now, and he should be paid, but the self righteousness of wanting to be one of the highest paid players in the league, the highest paid goalie and the highest Rangers free agent ever is off-putting. 

I would like to think that Drury isn't the type of guy to just fold to a guy's demands, but there's still a lot of pressure to get him signed by most of the fanbase and probably the team as well. It's kind of a tough spot to be in. I'm glad I don't have to do it.

Trade him straight up for Vasilevsky.

• Phil changed the title to Bruins Re-Sign Jeremey Swayman to 8-Year/$66M Extension; $8.25M AAV
12 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

I'm assuming you're eluding to career successes up to this point?

Yes, plus age <30, contract leverage, importance to team, and significantly increasing max cap in future years. In a few years, the tier that is clearly below him will make closer to whatever he signs for now.

On 10/3/2024 at 2:10 PM, Pete said:

Fox can beat the forecheck with a pass, Miller with his legs, and then a long list of nothing. Trouba, Lindgren, Schnieder, are all "glass and out" guys, and that doesn't help the forwards.

Miller looks to me like a "boards or bumper and out" guy, which makes it easier for the guy at the point to stop it than if it were up on the glass.

Edited by Sod16

50 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

Miller looks to me like a "boards or bumper and out" guy, which makes it easier for the guy at the point to stop it than if it were up on the glass.

Yeah I don't really agree with that, but regardless the point is that he has an ability to exit the zone with the puck and gain the opposition zone and there are precious few defensemen on the Rangers with that ability. 

• Keeps it 100 1