• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Johnny Gaudreau and His Brother Matthew Gaudreau Dead After Being Struck by Vehicle in New Jersey

1 hour ago, Albatrosss said:

Im not a lawyer but i think this would be considered involuntary manslaughter. I doubt he gets life

He's facing vehicular homicide charges.  I believe that this is a 2nd degree charge unless alcohol or drugs are involved in which case it can be stepped up to a 1st degree charge.

The maximum penalty for the 2nd degree charge is 10 years and a fine of up to $200,000.  If it is bumped up to the 1st degree charge the sentence will range from 10 to 20 years with the same $200,000 fine.

If he had just been driving recklessly and killed them without the DUI it almost certainly would have been charged in the 2nd degree.  This assuming that no premeditation was involved and it was purely reckless driving.

I think they are likely to step the charges up to 1st degree based on the determination by the responding officers that he was intoxicated when they arrived.

The $200,000 is probably going to be part of each of the sentences, so $400,000.  This may cover the cost of the investigation, trial and ultimately incarceration however it may also fall very short of that given the notoriety of the case.  Also NJ will never collect anything like that sum from him unless he has it on hand somehow because he's going to be in prison into his 60's most likely.

On 8/31/2024 at 11:29 PM, Albatrosss said:

This fucking sucks ass but why the fuck were they riding their bikes after dark on unlit Jersey streets? Jersey roads dont have streets lights, especially down south. Its just terrible all around 

Bicyclists in general are crazy. I see it in NC, some of the roads they go on with little-to-no shoulder, and higher speed roads too like 45-55, and hills and curves and blindspots. It baffles me why anyone would take the risk when it only takes one driver to be distracted or make a bad decision - not even talking about a drunk asshole.

20 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

This has really affected me in a way that no other athlete/celebrity death has before. Maybe it's the age or life circumstance proximity. I don't know. But I can't get it out of my head.

Same. And I keep seeing the same photograph of him with his wife and two little babies and it breaks my heart every single time. Matthew also had a wife and kids, and they were both there for their sisters wedding. That family was fucking shattered.

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Bicyclists in general are crazy. I see it in NC, some of the roads they go on with little-to-no shoulder, and higher speed roads too like 45-55, and hills and curves and blindspots. It baffles me why anyone would take the risk when it only takes one driver to be distracted or make a bad decision - not even talking about a drunk asshole.

didnt we have a bicyclist on this board years ago who was hit by a car?  I remember him being very angry

3 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

OT, what part of NC are you in @BrooksBurner

6 hours ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

This has really affected me in a way that no other athlete/celebrity death has before. Maybe it's the age or life circumstance proximity. I don't know. But I can't get it out of my head.

Same. I usually move on from these types of things but this one just feels different. I think it's because I was recently on a similar bike ride with my wife. 

This is brutal, and right before their sister's weddings? Oof. Merzlikins had a nice tribute on Instagram that I happened to see. He loses yet another Blue Jackets friend, so that has to be rough. You have to think Calgary retires his number or something, no?

3 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

This is brutal, and right before their sister's weddings? Oof. Merzlikins had a nice tribute on Instagram that I happened to see. He loses yet another Blue Jackets friend, so that has to be rough. You have to think Calgary retires his number or something, no?

They're holding a candlelight vigil for him. So are Columbus.

Number retirement is possible. Would be like a posthumous award. But I tend to think it's better to keep it alive and allow players to wear it in honor of him like how Caufield changed his number (albeit for a different team).

On 9/3/2024 at 9:30 AM, Phil said:

Same. And I keep seeing the same photograph of him with his wife and two little babies and it breaks my heart every single time. Matthew also had a wife and kids, and they were both there for their sisters wedding. That family was fucking shattered.

I keep envisioning that moment when their family, all gathered at home, that evening probably waiting for the guys to get home so they could get dinner started, suddenly getting a phone call from the authorities with the unexpectedly brutal news which they then had to relay to everyone else in the house...

2 hours ago, Karan said:

I keep envisioning that moment when their family, all gathered at home, that evening probably waiting for the guys to get home so they could get dinner started, suddenly getting a phone call from the authorities with the unexpectedly brutal news which they then had to relay to everyone else in the house...

Why you do that to yourself?

8 hours ago, Karan said:

I blame social media. Over exposure of news. Back in the day you could just turn the TV off...or the radio in your case.

You are correct. I only listen to Voice of Soviet Russia on the AM waves and it is flooded with Gudreau incident. 

7 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

at the funeral Johnny's wife said in the eulogy that she's pregnant with their third child. How fuckin awful, this shit just keeps getting worse and worse. 

Fuck Shawn Higgins

😥

He was supposed to be in court last thursday - do we have any updates?

23 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

at the funeral Johnny's wife said in the eulogy that she's pregnant with their third child. How fuckin awful, this shit just keeps getting worse and worse. 

Fuck Shawn Higgins

Jesus Christ. That poor fucking family.

3 hours ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

Fuck Shawn Higgins

It sure does continue to get even sadder as time goes by even when you think it can't get any worse.

#FuckSeanHiggins

Edited by Scott