• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Oilers Re-Sign Leon Draisaitl to 8-Year/$112M Extension; $14M AAV

Phil

• Phil changed the title to Oilers Re-Sign Leon Draisaitl to 8-Year/$112M Extension; $14M AAV

This is the equivalent of Phil Foden signing with Ipswich Town for 8 years.

The league is so stale, I find it basically unwatchable. If you stopped watching it in 2018, and picked it up again today, virtually nothing has changed. 

No idea why he and McDavid want to stay in Edmonton, but good for them, I guess.

• The Chyt! 1

18 minutes ago, Dunny said:

If you stopped watching it in 2018, and picked it up again today, virtually nothing has changed. 

I have no frame of reference for your comparison, but this is dead on balls accurate. It's the stalest league in sports, from what I'm told (I only watch hockey). No one moves. No one wants to ruffle feathers. Almost nothing ever happens.

Stays imo. 

Good lord though that's a high number. I can't see the cap raising fast enough to where these kind of deals don't turn the bottom portion (2/3rds?) of your roster into league minimum jags. 

3 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

It's high, but he's one of the best players in the world. The other happens to be his teammate. I really hope the both of them can be Oilers for life.

ButWhy.gif

Like,I get it, they have chemistry and all, but McDavid being an Oiler for life would suck for the league. The league needs him in Chicago, New York, or Boston, badly. Toronto, maybe. Ideally an American market (American player), but somewhere on the East coast in a prime market that 8 out of ten people on earth could actually locate on a map.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, Phil said:

ButWhy.gif

Like,I get it, they have chemistry and all, but McDavid being an Oiler for life would suck for the league. The league needs him in Chicago, New York, or Boston, badly. Toronto, maybe. Ideally an American market (American player), but somewhere on the East coast in a prime market that 8 out of ten people on earth could actually locate on a map.

Big market teams dont need McDavid.  They draw enough and carry small market teams with them.  Small market teams like Utah need McDavid more than anyone else.  They need stars to carry their weight 

2 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

Big market teams dont need McDavid.  They draw enough and carry small market teams with them.  Small market teams like Utah need McDavid more than anyone else.  They need stars to carry their weight 

That's why I said the league needs him in the big markets. I understand how and why the dynamic works currently. I also understand why (the NHL wants parity). But from a pure marketing perspective, McDavid in a big market means big dollars. It's marketing 101.

The whole parity-is-best theme in North American sports is dumb. Your big clubs should be global brands. They should absolutely dominate. The other 22 teams should be happy to be there, and competing to stay in the league, not tanking in order to be handed the greatest talents. It's a completely absurd system that rewards not only ineptitude, but straight up mockery of sport.

Edited by Dunny
  • Keeps it 100 1

3 hours ago, Dunny said:

The whole parity-is-best theme in North American sports is dumb. Your big clubs should be global brands. They should absolutely dominate. The other 22 teams should be happy to be there, and competing to stay in the league, not tanking in order to be handed the greatest talents. It's a completely absurd system that rewards not only ineptitude, but straight up mockery of sport.

You mean like resembling soccer leagues in Europe? no thanks

4 hours ago, Phil said:

That's why I said the league needs him in the big markets. I understand how and why the dynamic works currently. I also understand why (the NHL wants parity). But from a pure marketing perspective, McDavid in a big market means big dollars. It's marketing 101.

No, you need small market teams to pull their weight. Big market teams are already making lots of money. Small market teams make a lot more money if if someone like David on them. Remember Pittsburgh before Crosby? It went bankrupt.

39 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

Yea.

"The other 22 teams should be happy to be there" is just a ridiculous POV. Absurd even.

Also the NHL isn't going for parity, they're going for competitive balance. Everybody has the same set of resources, what you do with it is your business. They're never going to mandate that teams spend to the cap nor will they stop teams like Vegas from leveraging LTIR because that's what's available to them. 

If fans want to whine that's great, but that's all available to their own team to use, if you want a whine, whine that your own team isn't doing it. 

• Like 1

I'm not really seeing how this is so bad for the league. I also think plenty of big name players change teams. Eichel, Tkachuk, Panarin, Kane, Ullmark, Subban when he was still good, Stamkos, Karlsson,  Jagr, etc. Not EVERY big name needs to be in a big market for this league to succeed and grow. 

I actually think you have a better argument saying that late games in the league affect the growth more per se than players in smaller markets. It's an east coast moreso league in terms of audience viewing games.

• Keeps it 100 2

1 minute ago, jsm7302 said:

I think the NBA Is intriguing because guys jump all the time. 

The NBA is a different kind of league in terms of fandom. 

For about the last 10 years it's been about fans of players, not fans of teams. It started really with LeBron, he had his fan base at they weren't going to turn their back on him no matter what team he played for, so Cavs fans became Heat fans. 

I personally hope hockey never becomes that. 

Just now, Pete said:

The NBA is a different kind of league in terms of fandom. 

For about the last 10 years it's been about fans of players, not fans of teams. It started really with LeBron, he had his fan base at they weren't going to turn their back on him no matter what team he played for, so Cavs fans became Heat fans. 

I personally hope hockey never becomes that. 

I think the loyalty to teams (brand) in hockey is just as strong as the NFL. I don't think the NHL will ever have that problem. Possibly as a secondary team following a player but all in all, no one is abandoning ship to follow Kaner but they very well may pick up a Detroit hat or jersey to support him regardless.

On 9/3/2024 at 12:57 PM, Albatrosss said:

With Draisaitl staying long term, will McJesus stay to get the best shot at championships or will he bail as a UFA to Pittsburg?

He wants to bring a Cup back to Canada.  Edmonton is his best shot so until that happens I think he's there.

If Gretzky had never left Edmonton, I doubt you'd see him on half the ads that you do today.  If Messier had never left Edmonton, he probably wouldn't have the leadership award named after him and all the rest of the hype he still gets.  I suppose, on the other hand, playing for a Canadian team makes McDavid a national hero in Canada more than Sid playing in Pitts.

20 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

Yh, the idea that it's good for a league when a few clubs dominate is absolutely silly. Especially when there's not even an additional international competition to add least at some excitement back into the sport.

It sure was sooo exciting to watch Bayern win the league by a wide marging every season....

Edited by H-Dreamer