• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

This Is the Last Dance for These Rangers

RichieNextel305

7 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I'm a bit softer on Drury with respect to the draft capital burned the previous 3 seasons. I was just pointing it out that the cupboards are reduced as a result and it will have an impact on timeline for the next window. I don't blame him for taking a couple of swings the years prior. I think the tempered approach he took to the last deadline, holding the first and spending a mid-range price to satisfy the masses, suggests he's more in line with the thinking that the team needs more serious change, but his hands are a tied on flexibility. That was clearly not an all-in move.

I remain hopeful for the future of the franchise, and will mostly be watching this year to see what changes on the progress/potential of a handful of youngsters. Lafreniere, Chytil, Kakko, Cuylle, Miller, Schneider, maybe Berard/Othmann. I'm not sold on all of these players, but I am open to them changing my mind if I've previously started to sour on them (namely Kakko and Miller). I'm looking forward to Perreault in another year, if he's ready to make the jump to the NHL.

I think Drury has been remarkably efficient with the picks we've had and the picks he's chosen to trade away. We haven't made many picks under Drury, but it also seems that he has done well with the picks he has made. He might get 2-2.5 NHLers from the 2021 draft(Othmann plus some combo of Korczak, Lamb, Chemlar), he might have the same from 2022 (Sykora, Mancini, maybe Laba or McConnell-Barker), he almost assuredly has two from 2023 in Perreault and Fortescue.

It's hard to be upset at constantly moving picks if he's also constantly adding two guys in every draft that probably crack the team for some amount of time.

11 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

I think Drury has been remarkably efficient with the picks we've had and the picks he's chosen to trade away. We haven't made many picks under Drury, but it also seems that he has done well with the picks he has made. He might get 2-2.5 NHLers from the 2021 draft(Othmann plus some combo of Korczak, Lamb, Chemlar), he might have the same from 2022 (Sykora, Mancini, maybe Laba or McConnell-Barker), he almost assuredly has two from 2023 in Perreault and Fortescue.

It's hard to be upset at constantly moving picks if he's also constantly adding two guys in every draft that probably crack the team for some amount of time.

Yeah, well hopefully it turns out that way w/ a higher hit rate on few picks to make up for it.

I don't really care about losing picks, especially non-1st rounders, when the team is actively taking swings for a Cup. The disagreement from my side will only come in the timing of taking those swings. I just hope there isn't some desperation swing this year if underlying numbers aren't there to support it.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

They are a good team even when they get average goaltending. This whole idea that Igor is the spine of the team is based on the way last season ended. 

What's going to happen is that he's going to sign a 12 million deal and we're going to have to watch him and Lafreniere make futile attempts at dragging this team into the playoffs.

They are I was speaking more to the future when Zib and panarin are on the down trend or not here.

the way Larry is speaking it’s as if we don’t have prospects coming up or the ability to make changes or something 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

My point is that saying Drury somehow screwed up the deadline...Every deal is not available to every GM. The type of package CAR took for Guentzel might not have been available to Drury.

you have no way of knowing that.  You're just saying it to absolve Drury of the horrific trade deadline and squandered opportunity to go all the way.  Why you're trying to absolve Drury and why you have a need to "feel bad" for him, idk

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

I'm a bit softer on Drury with respect to the draft capital burned the previous 3 seasons. I was just pointing it out that the cupboards are reduced as a result and it will have an impact on timeline for the next window. I don't blame him for taking a couple of swings the years prior. I think the tempered approach he took to the last deadline, holding the first and spending a mid-range price to satisfy the masses, suggests he's more in line with the thinking that the team needs more serious change, but his hands are a tied on flexibility. That was clearly not an all-in move.

I remain hopeful for the future of the franchise, and will mostly be watching this year to see what changes on the progress/potential of a handful of youngsters. Lafreniere, Chytil, Kakko, Cuylle, Miller, Schneider, maybe Berard/Othmann. I'm not sold on all of these players, but I am open to them changing my mind if I've previously started to sour on them (namely Kakko and Miller). I'm looking forward to Perreault in another year, if he's ready to make the jump to the NHL.

we've seen Panarin lay couple of hits out last season.  I'm expecting a wrecking ball Panarin this season.  

I'm also expecting Kreider to change his hockey pants to a skirt. 

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yeah, well hopefully it turns out that way w/ a higher hit rate on few picks to make up for it.

I don't really care about losing picks, especially non-1st rounders, when the team is actively taking swings for a Cup. The disagreement from my side will only come in the timing of taking those swings. I just hope there isn't some desperation swing this year if underlying numbers aren't there to support it.

right.  You cant have it both ways--either you go for it and trade future or sit tight and draft

19 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

you have no way of knowing that.  You're just saying it to absolve Drury of the horrific trade deadline and squandered opportunity to go all the way.  Why you're trying to absolve Drury and why you have a need to "feel bad" for him, idk

No one has any way of knowing anything, that's the point.

But it doesn't stop people like you from calling him an idiot and saying he fucked up when you literally have no idea what went on behind the scenes outside a 3:00 video confirming a Roslovic trade LOL.

I don't feel bad for him, I just happen to think he knows what he's doing a little bit more than you, or anyone else here.

Edited by Pete

I'll be really interested to see what will happen if they don't win it. Trouba is gone, Panarin and Zibanejad have a couple more years left after this one. Well, Panarin anyway, I don't remember how many more years Mike has. Kreider is still productive and it's not a terrible contract. Lindgren is only on a one-year deal (probably gone anyway). Another reason we need to see the young players continue to progress and get better (including prospects).

16 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

right.  You cant have it both ways--either you go for it and trade future or sit tight and draft

Nah. There's always a grey area.

You're also talking about a team that paid to add 3 seasons in a row. There aren't many picks left to trade.

36 minutes ago, siddious said:

They are I was speaking more to the future when Zib and panarin are on the down trend or not here.

the way Larry is speaking it’s as if we don’t have prospects coming up or the ability to make changes or something 

I mean even with Perrault coming, Othmann, Berard, etc...

The way it looks right now, when Kreider, Zib, Panarin are gone this team will struggle mightily to score. Lafreniere isn't McDavid.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I'll be really interested to see what will happen if they don't win it. Trouba is gone, Panarin and Zibanejad have a couple more years left after this one. Well, Panarin anyway, I don't remember how many more years Mike has. Kreider is still productive and it's not a terrible contract. Lindgren is only on a one-year deal (probably gone anyway). Another reason we need to see the young players continue to progress and get better (including prospects).

I think it's the same whether they win or lose. The goal for this year is to win a cup. The goal for next year will be to win a cup - but the realities change as to how you get there. The reality that you probably have no choice but to pay Shesterkin is real. That Laf and Miller won't be on bridge money anymore forces you to move Trouba and probably forces Lindgren to another team in UFA. That will necessitate reshaping the defense around Fox and Miller - and possibly on the cheap.

Just now, LindG1000 said:

I think it's the same whether they win or lose. The goal for this year is to win a cup. The goal for next year will be to win a cup - but the realities change as to how you get there. The reality that you probably have no choice but to pay Shesterkin is real. That Laf and Miller won't be on bridge money anymore forces you to move Trouba and probably forces Lindgren to another team in UFA. That will necessitate reshaping the defense around Fox and Miller - and possibly on the cheap.

Yeah, it will need to be cheap talent whether it's UFA or in-house, cheap and good would be ideal. lol I will be stunned if Shesterkin isn't back. I know people are freaking out at $12 million per, and I get it, but it's going to get done. He, Panarin and Zibanejad will be taking up a ton of cap for a little while here, at least until Panarin is a UFA in a couple of years.

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah, it will need to be cheap talent whether it's UFA or in-house, cheap and good would be ideal. lol I will be stunned if Shesterkin isn't back. I know people are freaking out at $12 million per, and I get it, but it's going to get done. He, Panarin and Zibanejad will be taking up a ton of cap for a little while here, at least until Panarin is a UFA in a couple of years.

Panarin's another open question moving forward. What's he going to demand to stay? What's the pricepoint?

1 minute ago, LindG1000 said:

Panarin's another open question moving forward. What's he going to demand to stay? What's the pricepoint?

He'll get a retirement contract here if he finds a way to put together a full playoff run to win a Cup. Or the Rangers won't bring him back. There's a middle ground scenario in between these which is what you seem to be suggesting, but I lean towards it being one or the other and no middle ground.

• Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I mean even with Perrault coming, Othmann, Berard, etc...

The way it looks right now, when Kreider, Zib, Panarin are gone this team will struggle mightily to score. Lafreniere isn't McDavid.

Scoring issues are unlikely to be about Laf at this point.  It's the other lines that will be a problem.

Figure that Perreault is going to be Laf's buddy.  The Center will be Chytil if he's healthy and somebody not on the Rangers right now if not.  They'll figure that line out.  Then we'll have the problem the Rangers have had for awhile now with incomplete scoring lines in the bottom 9.

9 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Then we'll have the problem the Rangers have had for awhile now with incomplete scoring lines in the bottom 9.

They haven't had this problem. 

Maybe the bottom six, but the top six haven't had a problem since Panarin got here. 

Also I know it's the popular thing to defend l

Laf But my point is he's not going to be putting up 120 to 140 points. You don't build your entire team around him. He will need help, so hopefully Perrault is up to the task. 

Edited by Pete

1 hour ago, Pete said:

No one has any way of knowing anything, that's the point.

But it doesn't stop people like you from calling him an idiot and saying he fucked up when you literally have no idea what went on behind the scenes outside a 3:00 video confirming a Roslovic trade LOL.

I don't feel bad for him, I just happen to think he knows what he's doing a little bit more than you, or anyone else here.

i'm not rehashing the same old conversation we've had all summer but you're wrong!

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Message seems to be received by the locker room.

Win it all. Or off you go.

Build off last year. Learn from your mistakes. Finish the fucking job.

Florida did it last year. We can this do it this year.

basically he's saying 'im here for another season and then i'm outta here'

• Bullseye 1
  • Applause 1