• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Trouba Didn't Intend to Report If Traded Anywhere

Phil

Specifically, the plan was to move Jacob Trouba and his $8 million hit once the captain’s no-move clause became a 15-team no-trade clause on July 1, even if obligated them to retain up to 25 percent of the contract over its final two years. 

There were multiple interested parties. The Blueshirts were going to trade their captain. Until, that is, verifiable word circulated quickly through the league that Trouba had no interest in reporting if traded — anywhere. 

As The Post learned from impeccable sources and reported on July 1, Trouba’s original no-move clause was set to expire with his wife, Dr. Kelly Trouba, completing her medical residency at a New York hospital. But Dr. Trouba’s residency was deferred a year. The 30-year-old Rangers captain, who’d welcomed a son with his wife in January, made it clear to the proper authorities that he would not leave his family behind even while submitting his no-trade list that featured Detroit, which would have been his most likely destination. 

https://nypost.com/2024/09/18/sports/the-rangers-are-running-it-back-one-last-time/

Trouba was going to play hardball on this one from the start.  The hangup had nothing to do with wanting to play in NY.  It had to do with his wife's last year as a resident in NY.

Once Drury asked for the list a trade was going to happen absent the tactics that Trouba used.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Phil said:

I don't think so, no. Trouba strikes me as eminently professional. But it's clear as can be that they're absolutely going to try this again after this season, and I don't see them failing this time.

100%, and Brooks didn't do the organization any favors either by leaking all this shit.

Edited by Sharpshooter

2 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Trouba was going to play hardball on this one from the start.  The hangup had nothing to do with wanting to play in NY.  It had to do with his wife's last year as a resident in NY.

Once Drury asked for the list a trade was going to happen absent the tactics that Trouba used.

Drury got impatient. The second he asked for the list early was the second Trouba was going to make it publicly known he just wouldn't report anywhere, and any deal was going to die on the table.

8 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Drury got impatient. The second he asked for the list early was the second Trouba was going to make it publicly known he just wouldn't report anywhere, and any deal was going to die on the table.

Asking for the list early meant that Drury probably had a deal or deals in place just waiting for consent via Trouba's list.  

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

This is going to be a distraction all season long, isn't it? lol Hooray.

Distraction for who?  Trouba?  He got his way.  Now go play.  I'm fine with it.  Maybe it will serve as a wakeup call for him.

Distraction for the rest of the team?  Eh...same wake up call. If you start to suck well below your contract and we have cap issues, you'll be gone.

I don't really care about all this.  Nor should they. 

13 minutes ago, Bieser said:

Distraction for who?  Trouba?  He got his way.  Now go play.  I'm fine with it.  Maybe it will serve as a wakeup call for him.

Distraction for the rest of the team?  Eh...same wake up call. If you start to suck well below your contract and we have cap issues, you'll be gone.

I don't really care about all this.  Nor should they. 

You would think, they are professionals. Something like this could stay in the back of their minds, and not sit well with them. But, if they put them on notice, then good, it should. I just worry that some of these guys are soft mentally, and it will bother them more than it should.

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

You would think, they are professionals. Something like this could stay in the back of their minds, and not sit well with them. But, if they put them on notice, then good, it should. I just worry that some of these guys are soft mentally, and it will bother them more than it should.

who would you say on the team is mentally soft?  Fox? Kreider?

1 minute ago, Albatrosss said:

who would you say on the team is mentally soft?  Fox? Kreider?

Fox, Panarin and Zibanejad. Basically most of the core of the team. lol I don't think Kreider is mentally soft, necessarily, just really inconsistent. lol Maybe mental case is a better term for it than actually soft. All good players, but just rub me the wrong way sometimes. 

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

Fox, Panarin and Zibanejad. Basically most of the core of the team. lol I don't think Kreider is mentally soft, necessarily, just really inconsistent. lol Maybe mental case is a better term for it than actually soft. All good players, but just rub me the wrong way sometimes. 

fox, panarin, and zibby are physically soft.  i'm not sure they're mentally soft. 

Just now, Albatrosss said:

fox, panarin, and zibby are physically soft.  i'm not sure they're mentally soft. 

Sometimes I wonder, about Mika, especially. I think he's bi-polar or something because sometimes he's totally invisible on the ice and then mopey afterwards. Or, he's one of the best centers in the league and engaged.

I know a lot of you just hate Uncle Larry, but in "leaking" that the Rangers were trying to trade Trouba, he leaked nothing that wasn't common knowledge.  If Trouba's agent really contacted teams and said he wouldn't report, it didn't take Uncle Larry for him to do it.

Trouba, of course, is a special player who gets to modify his contract in midstream as he sees fit.

Players are separated from their families by trades all the time in this league.

His title should be changed to "Acting Captain", as there is zero chance he's here after this season.

• Like 1

Just now, Sod16 said:

I know a lot of you just hate Uncle Larry, but in "leaking" that the Rangers were trying to trade Trouba, he leaked nothing that wasn't common knowledge.  If Trouba's agent really contacted teams and said he wouldn't report, it didn't take Uncle Larry for him to do it.

Trouba, of course, is a special player who gets to modify his contract in midstream as he sees fit.

Players are separated from their families by trades all the time in this league.

His title should be changed to "Acting Captain", as there is zero chance he's here after this season.

I love me some good ol' common sense

11 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

Larry reported a deal was in place to send him to Detroit. Then Detroit wound up on Trouba's list and Overhardt called the rest of the league. Who was going to trade for him at that point?

If it was common knowledge, why did Larry also report Trouba was "blindsided"?