• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Trouba Didn't Intend to Report If Traded Anywhere

Phil

10 minutes ago, siddious said:

Honestly fuck trouba. He agreed to a contract that allows him to be moved at this point. 

going to be really hard to root for the guy this year 

I’ll root for him. I’ll root for the team. And no, it’s not his fault at all this all got leaked out and the whole story and situation took on a mind of its own.

That said, if the way his contract was designed allowed him to finally be moved to a limited amount of teams this summer and he basically put the kibosh on it by letting his agent know and other teams know he wouldn’t report if traded (which has been reported) then that is a selfish decision. And honestly, if family comes that first for you that you can’t uproot for your wife even for a year, then this simply isn’t a profession for you. Outliers exist. Sicknesses happen. Other things along those lines happen. And I’m not trying to be unsympathetic to the fact that his wife has her career and that they have a young child. But unfortunately, these are the risks you run when you take this kind of career on and follow this path. The money sets you up for life. The curveballs professional sports throws at you is part of the grind, unfortunately. None of us can relate, because none of us likely deal with this type of likelihood. But it’s not the Rangers problem that his wife’s residency got delayed a year. If the way he handled it was that he wouldn’t report, then yeah, that’s extremely selfish on his part because he basically put the hammer down on any potential discussions happening this summer.

But listen, a new season is upon us. That’s in the rear view for now. I’m sure it’s not the last time it’s ever brought up. Debates happen and that’s fine.

But I’m glad that the mindset in the locker room is that this year is basically Cup or Bust and that the room knows exactly what is on the line.

22 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I’ll root for him. I’ll root for the team. And no, it’s not his fault at all this all got leaked out and the whole story and situation took on a mind of its own.

That said, if the way his contract was designed allowed him to finally be moved to a limited amount of teams this summer and he basically put the kibosh on it by letting his agent know and other teams know he wouldn’t report if traded (which has been reported) then that is a selfish decision. And honestly, if family comes that first for you that you can’t uproot for your wife even for a year, then this simply isn’t a profession for you. Outliers exist. Sicknesses happen. Other things along those lines happen. And I’m not trying to be unsympathetic to the fact that his wife has her career and that they have a young child. But unfortunately, these are the risks you run when you take this kind of career on and follow this path. The money sets you up for life. The curveballs professional sports throws at you is part of the grind, unfortunately. None of us can relate, because none of us likely deal with this type of likelihood. But it’s not the Rangers problem that his wife’s residency got delayed a year. If the way he handled it was that he wouldn’t report, then yeah, that’s extremely selfish on his part because he basically put the hammer down on any potential discussions happening this summer.

But listen, a new season is upon us. That’s in the rear view for now. I’m sure it’s not the last time it’s ever brought up. Debates happen and that’s fine.

But I’m glad that the mindset in the locker room is that this year is basically Cup or Bust and that the room knows exactly what is on the line.

If he had a personal issue he should have sat out and had his contract tolled. Agree to a trade next season with 2 years left on your deal. 

• Keeps it 100 1

“Per my contract, I owed a list, and on June 30 I knew that was coming,” he said, adding there was no animosity throughout the process. “It’s just standard contract business. Nothing really more than that. Good communication throughout.”

“It’s part of the business of hockey,” Trouba added later in his media availability. “I’ve been fortunate enough to play in two great organizations so far in my career. Obviously (I) had a no-move that turned into a partial no-trade. … I knew that was coming this summer. It’s not by surprise. It was obviously something that was negotiated at the time. It’s part of pro sports. I can get traded now. I know that. I knew that when I signed the contract, that at this moment I could get traded.”

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5779847/2024/09/19/rangers-jacob-trouba-nhl-trade-rumors?source=user-shared-article

This is where I lose all respect for him. 

If it's part of the business and you knew you could get traded, then why did you make sure that every team knew you wouldn't report? 

He's just saying whatever he needs to say to make it go away because he knows he looks like an ass. 

• Bullseye 1

The Rangers could still make a wink-wink deal with another team, taking a smaller 1 year contract problem and agreeing to keep the guy even if Trouba didn't report.  That would make this a Trouba issue to deal with.  Report and get paid or don't and have the contract terminated.

I'm pretty sure that once the prospect of holding the Rangers over a barrel faded that $6M would make him report.

The other team pays him the $6M but gains the relief on the 1 year left on the bad contract the Rangers took.

Of course it is possible that Mrs. Trouba really needs him in NYC next season and in that case he might just let the contract be terminated.  This is Jacob Trouba's problem not the Rangers.

Edited by Br4d

51 minutes ago, Pete said:

If he had a personal issue he should have sat out and had his contract tolled. Agree to a trade next season with 2 years left on your deal. 

Yep. Lots of moving parts and the truth is that the exact truth is probably something along the lines of what we have all heard here.

Trouba came out of this looking very bad. The situation blew up because of the media. And the Rangers clearly had moves that they wanted to make.

But again, all of that means nothing now. He’s here. I think the thing that concerns me most with him is that he seems to think that the reason the rumors existed is because a shake up was needed. No. It’s because your play has been awful and you carry a huge price tag. He seemed somewhat catty, but approachable, about the questions today. But the reasons the Rangers were interested in dealing him were justified. He has not been worthy of the cap hit, but he likely won’t be worth it this year either. Just have to truck on and hope for the best.

The team is very likely to be highly competitive again. This is the cores last try at it. Lets see where the chips fall, and lets see what moves are able to made to improve at the deadline and where we need to address then too.

Edited by RichieNextel305

42 minutes ago, Pete said:

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5779847/2024/09/19/rangers-jacob-trouba-nhl-trade-rumors?source=user-shared-article

This is where I lose all respect for him. 

If it's part of the business and you knew you could get traded, then why did you make sure that every team knew you wouldn't report? 

He's just saying whatever he needs to say to make it go away because he knows he looks like an ass. 

Trouba did not predict back in 2019 that they would have a 6 month old kid that would delay his wife's residency. What an ass!

You're just going to have to get over it. You'll still get your enjoyable wins during the regular season.

20 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Trouba did not predict back in 2019 that they would have a 6 month old kid that would delay his wife's residency. What an ass!

"It's a business".

Funny how you defend a guy who isn't worth his contract and never was, yet you're ready to ship out of town the best player on the team. 

That's a laughable take, but on brand for you. 

21 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

You're just going to have to get over it. You'll still get your enjoyable wins during the regular season.

I'm sorry that it bothers you so much that I can turn the page after a loss. You should try it. It's better than being ... Whatever it is you are. 

Mind you, Trouba spent the first several years of his contract separated from his wife as she was in school in Florida.  

Trouba "blindsided" by a potential trade?  So his agent might say to Uncle Larry, but everyone expected the Rangers to try to get rid of him.  Any player whose No Move expires and becomes a limited no trade with a list knows of that possibility, and a player coming off a subpar season, with a big contract for a cap stressed team most certainly knows that there is a good chance he will be moved!

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

"It's a business".

Funny how you defend a guy who isn't worth his contract and never was, yet you're ready to ship out of town the best player on the team. 

That's a laughable take, but on brand for you. 

I'm sorry that it bothers you so much that I can turn the page after a loss. You should try it. It's better than being ... Whatever it is you are. 

Yeah, it's a business, and Trouba and his agent played a card in their pockets. Why are you still crying about this 3 months later, and have been all summer? I thought your measure of getting enjoyment out of Rangers hockey is so advanced that you don't need to see them win a Cup to be happy? One player being here for an extra year is not going to impact your enjoyment, as you'll still see plenty of 3v3 OT wins and shootout wins to keep you entertained.

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yeah, it's a business, and Trouba and his agent played a card in their pockets. 

The card was the list. Calling other teams that weren't on it is not "a card".

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Why are you still crying about this 3 months later, and have been all summer? I thought your measure of getting enjoyment out of Rangers hockey is so advanced that you don't need to see them win a Cup to be happy? One player being here for an extra year is not going to impact your enjoyment, as you'll still see plenty of 3v3 OT wins and shootout wins to keep you entertained.

Oprah Yes GIF