• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Sens Re-Sign Linus Ullmark to 4-Year/$33M Extension; $8.25M AAV

Play out the year, let him go to unrestricted free agency where nobody will pay him there either. 

GM's simply stopped giving out double digit contracts for goalies, and rightfully so. 

• Bullseye 1
  • Applause 1

• Phil changed the title to Sens Re-Sign Linus Ullmark to 4-Year/$33M Extension; $8.25M AAV
7 minutes ago, Pete said:

Play out the year, let him go to unrestricted free agency where nobody will pay him there either. 

GM's simply stopped giving out double digit contracts for goalies, and rightfully so. 

This. Play out the year. Win or lose, take one last run at extending him again at the end of the year. If he won't play ball, let him walk. We'll have a better idea of what's available by then, anyway. Maybe Garand is ready for NHL duty. Maybe Quick is still good and wants to do another year. Maybe Logan Thompson, Karel Vejmelka, and/or Adin Hill make it to UFA. Maybe there's a trade to be made. All I know is the idea that the Rangers "have no choice" here is gaslighting bullshit. They absolutely have a choice. They may even have numerous choices.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

This. Play out the year. Win or lose, take one last run at extending him again at the end of the year. If he won't play ball, let him walk. We'll have a better idea of what's available by then, anyway. Maybe Garand is ready for NHL duty. Maybe Quick is still good and wants to do another year. Maybe Logan Thompson, Karel Vejmelka, and/or Adin Hill make it to UFA. Maybe there's a trade to be made. All I know is the idea that the Rangers "have no choice" here is gaslighting bullshit. They absolutely have a choice. They may even have numerous choices.

Yep.

I'd rather take my chances in the playoffs with an 8M goalie than take my chances on even making the playoffs with a 12M goalie. 

• Bullseye 1
  • Cheers 1

If the NYR let Shesterkin test the market, Can someone realistically tell me what team would be able to pay Shesterkin 7 Years / 12M AAV?  I can only assume that their would be a handful of teams that may even entertain the idea.

43 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

If the NYR let Shesterkin test the market, Can someone realistically tell me what team would be able to pay Shesterkin 7 Years / 12M AAV?  I can only assume that their would be a handful of teams that may even entertain the idea.

Hard to say. I'm sure some teams might look to clear room to add him. Toronto would probably want him badly, especially if they lose in the playoffs again. Or Colorado (Geo is UFA). Chicago, maybe,too?

32 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Even though he's one of our guys, he's still using New York to get the most money he can, be greedy about it, and hamstring the team financially.

NY doesnt have to pay him.  Greedy and athletes should never be uttered in the same sentence

1 hour ago, Blue Heaven said:

No one. It happened last year with Hellebuyck, and he re-signed with Winnipeg because no other team would give him more.

24 minutes ago, Phil said:

Hard to say. I'm sure some teams might look to clear room to add him. Toronto would probably want him badly, especially if they lose in the playoffs again. Or Colorado (Geo is UFA). Chicago, maybe,too?

TO and COL are cap teams, they aren't going to let Marner or Raantanen walk to pay a goalie.

18 minutes ago, Pete said:

No one. It happened last year with Hellebuyck, and he re-signed with Winnipeg because no other team would give him more.

TO and COL are cap teams, they aren't going to let Marner or Raantanen walk to pay a goalie.

Maybe. I mean, Toronto may with Marner if they (and he) fail in the playoffs again. There was already a huge appetite to move on last season.

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

From who though?

All I hear now is how he's going to be re-signed. 

Fans. They could run him out of town, especially if the team flames out in the first round again. Could also be a real house cleaning in general (Shanahan).

On 10/9/2024 at 10:35 AM, Pete said:

Yep.

I'd rather take my chances in the playoffs with an 8M goalie than take my chances on even making the playoffs with a 12M goalie. 

I'm anti giving Shesty the world, but when you phrase it like this, only 4m more for probably the best goalie, especially best playoff goalie, seems better and more certain than where that extra 4m could go. I'd rather we get a cheaper than 8m goalie if no Shesty, ideally Garand would be a go and we'd end up saving maybe 10m from that 12m.

8 minutes ago, Tonybologna said:

I'm anti giving Shesty the world, but when you phrase it like this, only 4m more for probably the best goalie, especially best playoff goalie, seems better and more certain than where that extra 4m could go. I'd rather we get a cheaper than 8m goalie if no Shesty, ideally Garand would be a go and we'd end up saving maybe 10m from that 12m.

You can get a cheaper goalie and still win. 

~$8 million dollars is the going rate for top end goalies...Sorokin, Hellebuyck, Swayman... But there's a bunch of other goalies who made much less even percentage-wise against the cap who have won Stanley cups. 

• Like 1